Mar 3, 2013
- This site is part of a series of five modules on "Topics: Circulatory System." This particular website describes the anatomy and physiology of blood vessels including arteries, veins and capillaries. Characteristic histological features are described and correlated with the functions of these vessels. Physiological mechanisms and factors responsible for the flow of blood to and from the tissues are discussed. Risk factors, progression and consequences of atherosclerosis are discussed. Coronary heart disease is highlighted.
- Type of Material:
- Most of this material can be used as reference and some of the diagrams can be used in lecture.
- Recommended Uses:
- This material can be used in class and as homework / supplementary materials, particularly for a hybrid class that includes lecture and Internet learning.
- Technical Requirements:
- This site can be viewed with Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome.
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- After completing this presentation, the learner would be able to:
- Compare and contrast the components of the blood vessels
- Diagram the anatomy of the microcirculation and relate it to its physiology
- Discuss the factors responsible for the return of venous blood to the heart
- Describe the risk factors and progression of atherosclerosis
- Use the facts learned to describe the coronary artery disease
- Target Student Population:
- The target population includes middle school, high school, and undergraduate students.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Some familiarity of terminology and basic biology would help users learn more from the material as it is presented.
- Logical presentation of hte concepts makes it easy to follow
- Very professionally done with help from a publisher
- Concise and relevant
- Content cover core curriculum within the discipline
- Includes an adequate amount of material
- Provides useful and accurate information
- Integrates the concept very well
- Does not summarize the concept
- Images, though clear, are rather small
- Very efficient; could learn a lot in a short time
- Builds up on prior concepts
- Demonstrates relationship between concepts
- Excellent source for review
- Presentation of salient information on the blood vessels will provide students with an easy reference when first studying the materials and when reviewing the materials in the future
- Does not provide additional resources
- The content is accurately presented and the professionally produced illustrations help in communicating the information
- Self contained
- Easy to use
- Visually appealing
- Information presented in ways that are familiar to students
- No external plug-ins is needed in order to access the materials
- Not engaging
- Not interactive
- Other Issues and Comments:
- The material is not interactive but the content is accurate. For students seeking interactivity, this website may not be very appealing.
- Creative Commons: