“Kids Know It Network”
Kids Know It Network
Aug 19, 2013
- This author presents a free public website that is designed specifically for PreK-8 kids, makes learning fun, engaging, challenging and fun. The educational websites such as reading and math, and support the state standards, provides worksheets and online quizzes. Also, students are free to choose specific websites; such as music and movies. These websites offer a fun way to spend free time that is engaging and also support specific content areas, which also include online quizzes. Music and movie websites with and arranged from kids perspective to make learning engaging, memorable and fun
- Type of Material:
- Recommended Uses:
- Examples of recommended use (s) include in class activities, homework, extended practice for subject matter areas, fundamental skills for math, and English Language Arts, cooperative learning ; content mastery for homebound students ,online learning resources to support state standards.
- Technical Requirements:
- Flash Player & Acrobat Reader.
Browsers: Works fine in Firefox 22, Safari 6, and Chrome 28.0.1500.71. IE does not render Flash well (tested versions 7 – 10).
Because of the Flash requirements materials are not totally available from iOS devices (iPhone/iPad/etc).
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- • To provide free learning objects targeted at K-8 learners and available for all disciplines and several subjects.
- Target Student Population:
- Examples of target populations include PreK- 8 grade level, English Language learners (ELLs), struggling learners and gifted learners as resources based on interest and project based learning.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Navigation of course content, computer skills access to internet and mobile apps, orientation of course or subject matter
- The educational websites are presented in a logically and sequentially. For example, in websites are presented by grade and subject area and are aligned with state standards, including worksheets and educational movies and games
- • While the website provides self-contained teaching materials, the teacher must provide instructions to the student if s/he wants the student to access materials directly.
- There are several outstanding features of this public website for students and teachers. For example, the website are designed from the student perspective; the websites appeal to all ages and abilities; an array of websites are presented; such as, educational movies and music which supports the standards. However, the content presented, make learning fun , increases motivation and engagement, provides immediate feedback . In addition, a quiz is presented to assess mastery of the content or concept at the end of the activity.
- None noted during this review.
- The websites offer support for both students and teachers to support the standards in various content areas and grade levels.
- • Design can be improved by using better grouping of elements so that it is easier to decipher what information is available on each page.
• The user has to scroll down the page to see what is available on that page.
• Instructions for the user interface would be helpful.
• Some of these materials go to different websites, so a discussion of that would assist the user in understanding what website they are accessing.
• There are some usability issues. Since there is so much information available, it is difficult to know how to track where one is located. There is no indication as to when the user is on a separate website except for looking at the address bar.
• Advertising is needed to financially support the site, but can be distracting.
- Creative Commons: