“Teaching Correct Semicolon Usage”
Teaching Correct Semicolon Usage
Aug 26, 2013
- This PowerPoint slideshow presentation is a tutorial on how to correctly use and identify semicolons in a sentence. It could be used to help students practice semicolon usage or a a semicolon use refresher.
- Type of Material:
- Recommended Uses:
- This tutorial may be used to provide extended learning time for struggling students, as well as English Language Learners to practice using semicolons in order to increase the quality of their writing skills. This simple, quick tutorial could be used as homework or in class, either individually, as teamwork, or for whole class use.
- Technical Requirements:
- Microsoft PowerPoint reader
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- The student will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the correct rules of semicolons when constructing sentences.
- Target Student Population:
- The tutorial could be used in any class where students write and struggle with semicolon usage: middle school, high school, higher education composition, writing, English, business, and more.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Basic reading skills, and the ability to work independently.
- The tutorial presents appropriate concepts and skills.The graphics and illustrations are colorful and attractive.Also, the content of tutorial appears to be easy to learn.
- One reviewer had difficulty with navigation. Struggling students may have the same issue and not complete the tutorial.
- The learning goals are easy to identify and is appropriate for struggling students who could benefit from extended learning. Also,the tutorial is self-paced. Students can practice semicolon usage over and over while getting immediate feedback on their quiz answers and the ability to try again for mastery learning.
- Because the buttons for reviewing and evaluating their progress do not appear to function,the students would be unable to monitor their progress independently.
- The material is easy and the general layout is consistent and visually pleasing. The program is designed to provide feedback as students practice the rules,also, they can determine the rule that is most challenging by the practice and review quizzes.
- Navigation could be improved. The student can only move forward in the tutorial because there is no back button in the slideshow presentation format (.ppsx) and the normal PPT navigation tools do not work in this view.
- Creative Commons: