This workshop and training material is a guide to assist teachers with teaching adults more effectively. It is complete with professional worksheets, tools & templates that can be customized for any subject matter.
Type of Material:
Workshop and training material
Ideally the training would be used in whole class instruction or with group work but it could be used for individualized instruction. The entire document would be useful printed and given to each student as a workbook.
Requires the ability to download a PDF file
Identify Major Learning Goals:
Trainers will be able to effectively design training for adults, using both educational theory and practical tips.
Target Student Population:
Students who are education majors will find helpful information as will teachers of adult education in any subject area.
Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
Teacher or trainer experience or need
The material succinctly (30 pages) provides a soup to nuts overview of adult learning including the following:
• Defining audience, purpose, learning objectives,
• methods for delivery, and class size.
• Developing Training Content
• Common questions and answers about materials, choosing instructional methods
• Delivering Training
• Background on using the Cone of Learning, tips on facilitating effectively, and 10 important lessons for presenters.
• Learning Objectives In-Depth
• Tools & Templates for workshops
Our only small "quibble" was the statement that E-learning has loss of personal contact. That is true if face-to-face contact is meant, but E-learning can be designed to produce a lot of personal contact.
Potential Effectiveness as a Teaching Tool
The tools and templates walk the user through these steps so they can plan for adult education experiences:
• Training Needs Assessment Worksheet
• What are the learning needs of your audience?
• Learning Interventions
• What kind of training is needed?
• Curriculum Design Worksheet
• How do I design my course?
• Learning Theories
• How do I determine delivery methods?
• Ways to Spot Levels of Learner Engagement
• How do I know if my learners are engaged?
Ease of Use for Both Students and Faculty
The PDF is very professionally designed, neatly organized with colorful, relevant images, and the guidelines very easy to follow. The PDF could be easily printed as a workbook and shared.
None. It would be ideal if this material was used by a group of future teachers who discussed the concepts and worked together, giving feedback to each other, as they developed material for their classes.
Other Issues and Comments:
Although the workshop was originally created for public health practice, it is totally generic to adult education and can be used for creating any adult education training. This is a well designed material that will help teachers develop effective training for adults.
Search by ISBN?
It looks like you have entered an ISBN number. Would you like to search using what you have
entered as an ISBN number?
Searching for Members?
You entered an email address. Would you like to search for members? Click Yes to continue. If no, materials will be displayed first. You can refine your search with the options on the left of the results page.