This article describes practical applications for fostering engagement in online learning. It provides the rationale behind engagement. To understand how to build links to engagement, three specific strategies provided: (1) the identity-event link, (2) the prescription-event link, and (3) the identity-prescription link. Additionally, the author supplies “sidebar” scenarios to reinforce each of the strategies outlined.
Type of Material:
Open journal article which can be used as workshop and training material.
• Faculty development training
Identify Major Learning Goals:
• Train faculty in engagement strategies for online courses.
• Participants reading this article will learn how to measure engagement using the strategies outlined.
• Participants will learn three specific links to fostering engagement.
• Participants will learn how measuring engagement can serve as an outcome variable in course evaluation.
Target Student Population:
• Graduate Teaching Assistants
• College Upper Division, Graduate School, Professional
Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
• This resource enforces the concept of student personal responsibility in online learning through the Triangle Model of Responsibility.
• The resource ties engagement and interactivity in online courses together as two necessary components.
Potential Effectiveness as a Teaching Tool
• The scenarios provided are very useful.
• The resource suggests tying the learning to practical application in the work environment.
• The examples provided are used for online students in a corporate setting. In an educational setting those examples would need to be adjusted for online coursework. Coulc be more current
Ease of Use for Both Students and Faculty
• This material is easy to read and use.
Search by ISBN?
It looks like you have entered an ISBN number. Would you like to search using what you have
entered as an ISBN number?
Searching for Members?
You entered an email address. Would you like to search for members? Click Yes to continue. If no, materials will be displayed first. You can refine your search with the options on the left of the results page.