Cell and Molecular Biology
This collection contains the Affordable Learning Solution for the Southern University System (AL$4SUS) list of peer-reviewed textbooks for Cell and Molecular Biology (common course-id BIOL 190), one of the top 50 college courses identified for inclusion in the Southern University Online Library for Education (SUOLforEd).
See LA Master Course Matrix
General Course Description - BIOL 190
This course, intended for majors, will cover principles and applications of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cell structure and function, biological molecules, homeostasis, cell reproduction and its controls, molecular genetics, classical/Mendelian genetics, cell metabolism including photosynthesis and respiration, and cellular communication. The philosophy of science, methods of scientific inquiry and experimental design are foundational to the course.
Minimum Units: 4.0
Prerequisites: Completed one semester general chemistry (C-ID CHEM 110); Eligible for college-level math (C-ID MATH 110, 120, 130, 140, 150, 151 OR any other course with Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite)
Advisories/Recommendations: Eligible for English Composition (C-ID ENGL 100)
At the conclusion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Identify and describe biological molecules and cell structures and explain their functions
- Compare and contrast cellular processes and interactions between prokaryotes and eukaryotes (including metabolism, reproduction, communication)
- Apply the principles of classical and molecular genetics to solve problems in genetics or biotechnology.
- Relate evolutionary processes to the origin and evolution of cells.
- Explain how DNA replicates and transmits genetic information within organisms.
- Apply the processes of scientific inquiry and experimental design to the study of biological concepts.
- Acquire, read, evaluate, apply and cite scientific literature
- Practice scientific writing
A variety of assessment techniques that may include:
- midterm examinations,
- term papers,
- homework problems, and
- laboratory reports.
There should be a writing component.
Current Frontiers and Perspectives in Cell Biology (Open (Access) Textbook)A numerous internationally renowned authors in the pages of this book present the views of the fields of cell biology... More
Cell Biology, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Evolution and Ecology (Open (Access) Textbook)The motive of the authors main motive remained to provide relevant coloured photographs explaining various intricate... More