Introduction to Literature
This collection contains the Affordable Learning Solution for the Southern University System (AL$4SUS) list of peer-reviewed textbooks for Introduction to Literature (common course-id ENGL 120), one of the top 50 college courses identified for inclusion in the Southern University Online Library for Education (SUOLforEd).
See LA Master Course Matrix
General Course Description: ENGL 120
This course introduces representative works from major genres, develops students’ close reading and analytical writing skills, and promotes appreciation and critical understanding of the cultural, historical, and aesthetic qualities of literature.
Minimum Units: 3.0
Prerequisites: Successful completion of college-level composition (C-ID ENGL 100) or equivalent
- Read a variety of texts actively and critically
- Identify key elements of major genres in order to analyze and interpret texts
- Define common literary terms and apply them to the analysis of specific texts
- Compose formal written analyses of texts that demonstrate appropriate academic discourse and the conventions of literary analysis.
- Research appropriate primary and secondary sources and apply documentation skills without plagiarism.
- Formal essays
- Informal writing (examples include journals, annotations, reader responses, in-class essays, and responses to questions)
- Other evaluation methods such as exams, quizzes, class participation, projects, and portfolios