Introduction to Reporting and Newswriting
This collection contains the Affordable Learning Solution for the Southern University System (AL$4SUS) list of peer-reviewed textbooks for Introduction to Reporting and Newswriting (common course-id JOUR 110), one of the top 50 college courses identified for inclusion in the Southern University Online Library for Education (SUOLforEd).
See LA Master Course Matrix
General Course Description: JOUR 110
An introduction to gathering, synthesizing/organizing and writing news in journalistic style across multiple platforms. Includes role of the journalist and related legal and ethical issues. Students will report and write based on their original interviews and research to produce news content. Experiences may include covering speeches, meetings and other events, writing under deadline and use of AP Style.
Minimum units: 3.0
Any rationale or comment: While student work may be eligible for use in student and/or professional publications, this should not be a publications class, per se.
At the conclusion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Define and execute newsgathering strategies
- Develop interview questions and conduct interviews
- Write simple leads
- Write simple and complex/long form news articles using the inverted pyramid and other formats
- Write articles under deadline
- Apply Associated Press style to articles
- Edit own and others’ articles for proper spelling, grammar and AP Style
- Define writing differences for different platforms
- Writing assignments
- Style quizzes
- Critiques; peer critiques
- Professional protocols (meeting deadlines, attendance, adherence to ethics)
Check it Out - Great Reporters on What it Takes to Tell the Story (Open (Access) Textbook)Here is a legendary journalist back to the basics guide to the craft of broadcast news. Combining insights from his own... More
To Tell You the Truth: The Ethical Journalism Initiative (Open (Access) Textbook)A crisis has engulfed media in Europe and America, inflicting profound changes on journalism. A generation of owners is... More