About MERLOT & SkillsCommons
About MERLOT & SkillsCommons
in 1997, The Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching (MERLOT, www.merlot.org) is an international cooperative formed for the purpose of aggregating and making freely accessible high quality online resources to improve learning and teaching within higher education. MERLOT’s organization and services are administered by the California State University and connect higher education systems, consortiums, and institutions, professional societies and organizations of academic disciplines, corporations, and individual members to form a community of people who strive to enrich the teaching and learning experiences with technologies.
- An open, online catalog of thousands of online learning materials.
- Quality assurance processes for the evaluating the learning materials
- Open community tools for its members to manage and personalize their use of MERLOT resources and services
- A directory of people with common interests in teaching and learning with online materials across a wide range of disciplines
- Technologies for customizing services for our partners
- Professional development services for our partners
- User-friendly authoring tools to create open educational resources
- Leadership opportunities for individuals and institutional to put educational innovations into practice
Visit MERLOT and its Programs
Funded by the U.S. Department of Labor in 2014, California State University and MERLOT designed and implemented the national, open library of workforce programming and training materials called SkillsCommons at www.skillscommons.org. The SkillsCommons library is open for educators, workforce development staff, human resources staff, and individual workers and provides free and easy access to the innovative training materials across a wide variety of industry sectors that can be adopted and adapted for the local use. Learn more...
- Southern University System: Created their own website by editing the MERLOT/SkillsCommons site. They added the Southern University brand, added some of their own pictures, and added a video from Southern University's president. All this took about an hour. (3/18/2020, rev 4/13/2020)
- IEEE Education Society: Created their own website by editing the MERLOT/SkillsCommons site and blending IEEE Education Society resources as well as other to create a customized website for their community. (4/16/2020)
- Park County Middle & HIgh School, CO: Created their own website by editing the MERLOT/SkillsCommons site and blending resources for families, COVID19, the local community, and for a customized website for their community. (4/21/2020)
- Tennessee State University: Created their own website by rebranding the MERLOT/SkillsCommons site and connecting it to there Affordable Learning Solutions website (http://tsu-excel4ed.org/) (4/29/2020) .
- Dillard University did the same.
See a full list of Institutions Utilizing the Teaching and Learning Online Website