Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Titanic VR: Virtual Reality Exploration
Witness the sinking of RMS Titanic. Explore the shipwreck. Titanic VR @ titanicvr.io is an immersive educational...
Allen Brain Atlas
The Allen Brain Atlas is the most comprehensive and detailed map of the human brain to date, combining neuroimaging and...
Microbiology for Allied Health Students
Microbiology for Allied Health Students is derived from the OpenStax Microbiology text book and is designed to cover the...
Bio-protocol - Life Science Research Journal for Protocols
Created in 2011 by a group of Stanford scientists, Bio-protocol is an international protocol platform journal for...
PaperHive.org : coworking hub for researchers
PaperHive introduces seamless discussion of research papers in the browser, embedded in the regular workflow. This allows...
Welcome to the wonderful world of microbiology! Yay! So. What is microbiology? If we break the word down it translates to...
Evolutionary Conservation of Protein Amino Acids
Rett syndrome is used as an example where new mutations in certain positions never enter the human gene pool, because the...
Syllabi and Assessment: Practical Protein 3D Structure Visualization & Structural Bioinformatics
Ready-to-adapt syllabi for educators, designed to empowers students to find and understand macromolecular structures, and...
FirstGlance in Jmol: Explore Any Macromolecule
FirstGlance.Jmol.Org displays any macromolecular structure in interactive 3D, and provides views and tools for...
Quiz: Ramachandran Principle, Phi and Psi Dihedral Angles in Proteins
A quiz, with immediate feedback to the student, to challenge understanding of the interactive tutorial, the slideshow, or...
Video: Ramachandran Principle, Protein Atomic Clashes vs. Phi & Psi
A video with voice explanation (no music), at http://tinyurl.com/RamachandranPrincipleYouTube, with numerous animated...
Slideshow: Ramachandran Principle - Phi and Psi Angles in Proteins
A slideshow, at http://tinyurl.com/RamachandranPrinciple, with numerous animated molecular models explaining polypeptide...
The Ramachandran Principle: Phi (φ) and Psi (ψ) Angles in Proteins
An interactive molecular model illustrates rotation of phi and psi angles in polypeptides, showing clashes forming and...
Introduction to Vital Signs Examination and Evaluation Study Guide
This module will walk the student or clinician through the fundamentals of assessing vital signs. This module is broken...
PLOS ONE: Open Data Research Guidelines & Open Data Recommended Repositories
PLOS One is accelerating the publication of peer-reviewed science by its Open Data Research guidelines and recommended...
Zenodo.org: Open Science Research Data Repository
Zenodo.org is a free Open Science Research Data Archive Repository built by CERN and OpenAIRE enabling researchers to...
Medical Microbiology, 4th Edition
Medical Microbiology begins with a review of the immune system, focusing on the body's response to invading...
General Biology I: Survey of Cellular Biology
BI101A is a survey course that introduces the discipline of cellular biology, exploring topics including the scientific...
The Gene Ontology Handbook | SpringerLink
This book provides a practical and self-contained overview of the Gene Ontology (GO), the leading project to organize...
The GEO Handbook on Biodiversity Observation Networks | SpringerLink
Biodiversity observation systems are almost everywhere inadequate to meet local, national and international (treaty)...
Nutrition and Health: Micronutrients and Malnutrition
Learn about malnutrition and micronutrients and how they impact human health. There is an overload of information about...
TEDxBrussels: Open Science can save the planet
Frontiers’ CEO, Kamila Markram, makes a case at TEDxBrussels for why open science is the key to innovation, economic...
CMU's Open Science LibGuide for Biological Sciences
Carnegie Mellon University's Open Science LibGuide for Biological Sciences will provide you with resources for making...
Maptia · Home to a World of Stories
Bringing you a world of inspiring and thought-provoking stories, Maptia is a collaborative project with photographers,...
Stephanie BarardRichey Academy
Stephanie FreeseNortheast Mississippi Community/Technical College
Vignesha VijayanandaSan Jose State University
Vida MingoColumbia College
Lindsey DeSantisHumboldt State University
Nedra LexowUniversity of Pennsylvania
Laurence C. Neely, MDTechnical College of the Lowcountry
Sandra WalshTechnical College of the Lowcountry
Beverly WiltzDelgado Community/Technical College
Jamee HendersonCoastal Carolina University
obiyaa frimpongnorth liverpool academy
Janie MacklinBiological Science
MARIA DE LA LUZ SALAZAR BIBIANOLuis Donaldo Colosio Murrieta
James DrummondMercer University
Justin PetrilloFounders Academy Las Vegas
Susan BrittJohnson County Community/Technical College
Joel MintzesCalifornia State University, Chico
Tanganika JohnsonSouthern University System - Baton Rouge
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (7)
- Biodiversity (88)
- Biology Education (4)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (7)
- Botany (291)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (561)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (7)
- Development and Embryology (69)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (773)
- Evolutionary Biology (260)
- General (400)
- Genetics (599)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (930)
- Life (135)
- Marine Biology (4)
- Medicine and Health (10)
- Microbiology (365)
- Mycology (4)
- Zoology (252)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
Biology on the Web
Aug 19, 2018 02:56 PM PDT
Synthetic Biology Workstation Market Data Highlighting Major Vendors, Promising Regions ...
Aug 19, 2018 02:22 PM PDT
UK Multiscale Biology network
Aug 19, 2018 01:34 PM PDT
Global Isomalto-Oligosaccharide Market Overview 2018-2025: Meiji, BioNeutra, Baolingbao ...
Aug 19, 2018 07:15 AM PDT
Gender difference in seeing fast-moving objects suggests autism clue
Aug 19, 2018 07:03 AM PDT
Appeals court puts non-biological 'mom' of girl killed in crash back in civil suit
Aug 19, 2018 05:34 AM PDT
MXRi and Zygote Announce Partnership to Transform Biomedical Learning with Augmented and ...
Aug 18, 2018 11:56 PM PDT
Scholarships: Ambridge 1950s Alumni Committee
Aug 18, 2018 11:00 PM PDT
Humans have always caused plant and animal extinctions
Aug 18, 2018 09:30 PM PDT
Peter George and Lisa Mansour
Aug 18, 2018 09:05 PM PDT
Good bones: Artist Tara Shukla borrows from biology department for latest drawings
Aug 18, 2018 08:56 PM PDT
Algebraic Biology 2008
Aug 18, 2018 06:07 PM PDT
Biology on Twitter
- RT @NSF: @NOAASatellites @NOAA Happy #DATAPALOOZA! #NSFfunded @NEON_sci gathers long-term data on the biosphere's response to changes in la…1 hour ago | NSF_BIO
- A significant achievement and excellent outcome from the #NSFfunded Plant Genome Research Program (PGRP). twitter.com/NewsfromScienc…1 hour ago | NSF_BIO
- RT @NSF: Last month NSF Director France Córdova talked abt the value of fundamental research at the @NatlGovsAssoc summer meeting. Read mo…
- RT @NSF: Coming soon! We'll launch the #NSFIdeaMachine to help set the U.S agenda for fundamental research in #science and #engineering. Se…
- RT @SchmaleLab: Painting the Atlantic Ocean with a harmless dye. Part of our work funded by the National Science Foundation to understand o…
- RT @PREAUX_FISH: A great way to fund a working sabbatical so you can retool your skill set! Thanks @ljrissler and @NSF_BIO https://t.co/wjR…
- RT @SchmaleLab: A small boat passing through our rhodamine dye plume in the Atlantic Ocean. The boat is equipped with onboard sensors to de…
- RT @CorrieMoreau: Thanks to the @NSF_BIO #REU program at the @FieldMuseum @maddiekellyy_ investigated the genetic structure of Wolba…
- RT @davidcblackburn: Want to learn CT-scanning while scanning specimens of interest to your research? Apply to scan @MarineBiol_FHL with @F…
- RT @CorrieMoreau: Absolutely impressed by the excellent research presentations of our #REU interns from @FieldMuseum @chicagobotanic & @Mor…