Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Understanding Science is the Biology Board's Classic Award winner for 2019. This site has a huge variety of resources that present a detailed and accurate portrayal of what science is and how it works. We hope you love it as much we do!
Riparian Life Zones Plants and Trees
This is a great site for learning about the riparian life zones of Colorado. It does a good job of explaining what types...
How can you eat dairy if you lack the gene for digesting it? Fermented milk may be key, ancient Mongolian study suggests
Lactose is a key sugar found in milk, which many of the Asian community cannot digest. Recently, DNA analysis of the...
Mother knows best – how plants help offspring by passing on seasonal clues | John Innes Centre
this website described how mother plants pass seasonal information to thier offsprings. Therefore, offsprings can have...
Biology4Kids.com: Plants: Basic Structure
This is a good website to teach general terms and concepts of plant physiology to students. This website also comes with...
The Great Plant Escape
The Great Plant Escape is an amazing website to learn or refresh on some botany terminology and interesting facts. This...
Human Anatomy and Physiology Preparatory Course
The overall purpose of this preparatory course textbook is to help students familiarize with some terms and some basic...
Human Body systems and Related Medical Terminology
This text is adapted from the OpenStax Textbook Anatomy and Physiology, which is a college level text intended for a...
Female Reproductive Organs Introduction Lecturio
Lecturio Medical Lectures is an online organisation that offers multitude of lectures on all medical related topics esp....
The Lung Microbiome: Challenging Old Paradigms about Microbes... - Gary Huffnagle
July 24-26, 2013 - Human Microbiome Science: Vision for the Future More: http://www.genome.gov/27554404
Particle Deposition in Respiratory Tract
Narrated by Dr. Pete Raynor, University of Minnesota School of Public Health. Animations by Derek Siebert, University of...
iBiology — Bringing the world's best biology to you, for free!
iBiology offers you free biology videos from the world's leading scientists, with over 25 Nobel laureates. Talks include...
Robert Sapolsky's Edutaining "Human Behavioral Biology"
The course is an accessible yet scientifically detailed introduction to modern biology’s understanding of human behavior....
Pearson - The Biology Place
Animated clips of animal and plant cells in hypertonic environments
Evidence for the Endosymbiotic Hypothesis
Similarities Between Bacteria and Semiautonomous Organelles Since the symbiotic hypothesis states that mitochondria and...
Simplified Nitrogen Cycle
This graphic is a succinct representation of a localized nitrogen cycle. The figure is complete with basic interactions...
Botany Depot is a great website that contains a wide variety of information pertaining to botany. This website includes...
Environmental Science: A Canadian Perspective
This textbook is intended to provide the core elements of a curriculum for teaching environmental science at the...
ENVS181 Course Materials
This folder has pointers to open resources for Environmental Science 181 at Lane Community College. It is organized by...
Biology for AP® Courses
Biology for AP® Courses covers the scope and sequence requirements of a typical two-semester Advanced Placement® biology...
Open Journal Systems | Public Knowledge Project
The Open Journal System (OJS) by the Public Knowledge Project (PKP) is a Free Open Source Software (FOSS) system...
Study Guides and Videos for OpenStax Biology, Chapters 5-7
This set of videos and study guides for OpenStax Biology was created under an ALG Mini-Grant for Ancillary Materials...
Sanjoy Sanyal Anatomy Videos
Contains mostly videos on Human Brain, Neuroscience, Surgical Techniques Surgical Anatomy and Surgical Instruments, with...
The LUMEN Dissector has as its objectives: 1) to incorporate more multimedia into the principal learning environment of...
DukeMedicine Online Dissector
This is an intensive, fast-paced, classical cadaver-based anatomy course. The laboratory portion of this course involves...
Iris HenryRiver Parishes Community College
Cinnamon FrameResearch Triangle High School, Opportunity Learning
Gregory CrowtherEverett Community/Technical College
Zeynep Akyol AtamanMount San Jacinto College
Cynthia SeiwertGoodwin College
Idena MuhlesteinWeber State University
Ajose OjajuniEdgewood College
ANDRESSA CORREA PIMENTEL MARINHOUNIGRANRIO
Donna HensonWest Vigo Middle School
Shaheem AbrahamsThomas Nelson Community/Technical College
jordan lazo riveraINACAP Universidad Tecnológica de Chile
Bridgette KirkpatrickCollin County Community/Technical College
claudia infanteUniversidad Autónoma de Chile
Phyllis FreemanFisk University
Carmen López SaizUniversidad de Sonora
Alexandra TaylorKingsway Regional High School
Reena NinanKingsway Regional
pamela schefflerHawaii CC
Karen ArbuckleSouth Arkansas Community/Technical College
Anthony LowryCalifornia State University Long Beach
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (14)
- Biodiversity (89)
- Biology Education (7)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (24)
- Botany (305)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (564)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (8)
- Development and Embryology (70)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (780)
- Evolutionary Biology (265)
- General (397)
- Genetics (620)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (941)
- Life (135)
- Marine Biology (6)
- Medicine and Health (18)
- Microbiology (361)
- Mycology (4)
- Zoology (250)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
- Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education
Biology on the Web
Apr 22, 2019 01:28 AM PDT
Global Synthetic Biology Market Financial Study 2019 to 2028
Apr 22, 2019 12:13 AM PDT
Biologist: Protecting Migration Key to Conserving Wildlife
Apr 21, 2019 11:56 PM PDT
Know More About Biology Smart Pills Market By Top Players Acamp,Bio ?Images Research ...
Apr 21, 2019 10:48 PM PDT
The PLFA soil health test
Apr 21, 2019 10:26 PM PDT
molecular tool for menstrual cycle phase dating in endometriosis transcriptomic studies | Biology of ...
Apr 21, 2019 10:21 PM PDT
Eating insects: The next revolution in the American diet
Apr 21, 2019 09:52 PM PDT
University of Tulsa slashes its liberal arts programs, prompting protests, accusations of ...
Apr 21, 2019 09:30 PM PDT
Students avoid 107 'poor' courses with most in Kisii, Embu varsities
Apr 21, 2019 08:56 PM PDT
Global Cottonseed Protein Market Insight Report 2019 – 2025 : CCGB, Sino-leader Biotech, Wei ...
Apr 21, 2019 06:41 PM PDT
Home Runs Help William Penn Split with Yellowjackets
Apr 21, 2019 06:18 PM PDT
Recent Jobs in oh
Apr 21, 2019 06:12 PM PDT
Smart Board, April 21, 2019
Apr 21, 2019 06:07 PM PDT
GSCC to launch dental hygiene program
Apr 21, 2019 04:15 PM PDT
Viruses 'hack' molecular biological system
Apr 21, 2019 04:03 PM PDT
Biology of Colon Cancer
Apr 21, 2019 03:32 PM PDT
World's oldest curler Ralph Vaccaro, a WWII veteran and ocean researcher, dies at 99
Apr 21, 2019 03:18 PM PDT
Biology on Twitter
- ICYMI: #NSFfunded researchers @RiceUniversity discovered new insights about WNT protein signaling pathway interacti… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…18 hours ago | NSF_BIO
- ICYMI: #NSFfunded plant pathologist @UCRiverside identified regulatory, genetic mechanism in plants that could help… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | NSF_BIO
- RT @MattBorths: Describing Simbakubwa would not have been possible without @NSF_BIO DBI postdoc support to study the evolution of carnivoro…
- RT @narhol: Let the fly TPC evolution begin with @IElshesheny @OmeraMatoo @Sirenlacertina DeLong Lab @UNLsbs @UNLresearch Thanks to @NSF_BI…
- RT @USBrainAlliance: Using new imaging technology, researchers, led by @VaziriLab
at @RockefellerUniv and funded in part by the BRAIN Initi…
- New MCB blog: From “never” to “Wow, what’s next?” #NSFfunded researcher Adrienne Cooper tells story of her career i… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Check out this week's #FoundInMERLOT showcase: "Botany Depot" #OER #Botany buff.ly/2GqXONa https://t.co/xLEazSQYX5, photo: pic.twitter.com/xLEazSQYX52 days ago | MERLOTorg
- RT @NSF: This #MathStatsMonth, take a deep dive into our data on the U.S. science & engineering enterprise. See data on:
- RT @NSF: It’s #FossilFriday! Check out a newly described species of extinct mammal called Simbakubwa kutokaafrika. This 22 million-year-old…
- RT @USBrainAlliance: BRAIN Initiative researchers @DukeNeuro have developed an AI that can trace the shapes of active neurons as accurately…