Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Vulnerability Assessment of Soil and Water Loss in Loess Plateau and Its Impact on Farmers’ Soil and Water Conservation Adaptive Behavior
Analyzing vulnerability and adaptation to soil and water loss is an important part of the study on the...
Ecological Niche Space of Fish Communities in Impounded Sections of Large Rivers: Its Application to Assessment of the Impact of Weirs on River Ecosystems
To estimate the impact of weirs on large river fish communities, we applied the ecological niche space (ENS) measured...
Virtual Interactive Bacteriology Laboratory
This resource is a set of virtual, interactive bacteriology labs that were developed to allow the student to learn a...
Exploring Biomass Pyramids | HHMI BioInteractive
This interactive simulation challenges students to describe trophic relationships in an aquatic ecosystem using...
Explore Your Inner Animals | HHMI BioInteractive
This interactive explores different anatomical features of the human body and what they reveal about the evolutionary...
Molecular Structure of Fat | HHMI BioInteractive
This slide show delves into the various molecular shapes that fat can take.
Great Transitions Interactive | HHMI BioInteractive
The evolution of four-limbed animals, or tetrapods, from fish is a dramatic example of one of the great evolutionary...
Virus Explorer | HHMI BioInteractive
This interactive incorporates engaging 3D-models of viruses that students can click on to rotate and view from different...
Using DNA to Trace Human Migration | HHMI BioInteractive
This is an interactive presentation with an accompanying PDF worksheet for use by students.
Using the Scientific Process to Study Human Evolution | HHMI BioInteractive
This interactive presentation allows students to explore how human evolution is studied using a scientific process. An...
How Science Works | HHMI BioInteractive
This interactive is designed to engage students in thinking critically about how science works. They can use the tool to...
Evolution - HHMI BioInteractive
At BioInteractive, you can find award-winning multimedia resources, including apps, animations, videos, interactives, and...
Here you'll find a wealth of resources and information aimed at helping educators bring genetics, bioscience and health...
Welcome to Evolution 101!
What is evolution and how does it work? Evolution 101 provides the nuts-and-bolts on the patterns and mechanisms of...
Human Anatomy Lab Manual
This is a lab manual for a college-level human anatomy course. Mastery of anatomy requires a fair amount of memorization...
Water Distribution Operator I
A water distribution system is nothing more than a network of components designed to deliver water from a source to a...
General Biology Lab Manual
The purpose of creating this custom lab manual for BioSci 100 was to provide our students with a high quality, low-cost...
Photosynthesis & Respiration Game
A simple game that helps students learn the reactants and products of photosynthesis and respiration.
De Gruyter: Open Access Journals
De Gruyter publishes fully open access journals across Science, Technology, Mathematics (STM) and Humanities, Social...
IEEE Access: The Multidisciplinary Open Access Journal
The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Access is an award-winning multidisciplinary, all electronic...
SEPUP Protein Synthesis Simulation
Protein synthesis simulation that has animated presentation taking student through the process of transcription and...
Protein Synthesis Race
Simulated game allowing students to transcribe DNA to mRNA and then mRNA into the amino acid sequence of a protein.
Transcribe and Translate a Gene
Animated activity allowing student to go through the process of transcribing DNA to mRNA and then translating mRNA into...
Chemistry of Amino Acids
Website from University of Arizona that contains general information regarding amino acids and their structure. Contains...
Amr IbrahimIbrahim, A. G.
Urszula SitarzMcMaster University
Dr. Subash DebBrindaban Govt. College
Katrina Hales-GarciaCalifornia State University Channel Islands
Jacqueline SantiagoCalifornia State University, Long Beach
Sylvia FrazierWoodland High School
Meg O'MahonyOlympiads School, University of Ontario Institute of Technology
Sarah ScanlinEast Aurora District 131
Tim NicholSheffield Hallam University
Brahim CherifEnseignant vacataire
Erin BuffaloStone Child Community/Technical College
Zaynah AllenSouthwest Tennessee Community College
Elijah HardenSouthwest Tennessee Community College
Carolyn DatuganI-Shou International School
Eve WilsonState University of New York System
Ruedi BorerKantonsschule Stadelhofen
Marisol Rangel-GarciaSomerset High School
Kathleen BoyleVirginia Commonwealth University
Shannon ShacklesFulford Academy
Christine MillerThompson Rivers University*
Jenny ClarkSaddleback College
jonathan ogbevireRUSH University Medical Center
Edison FowlksHampton University
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (10)
- Biodiversity (88)
- Biology Education (7)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (24)
- Botany (292)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (564)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (8)
- Development and Embryology (69)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (779)
- Evolutionary Biology (267)
- General (402)
- Genetics (624)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (932)
- Life (136)
- Marine Biology (5)
- Medicine and Health (16)
- Microbiology (358)
- Mycology (4)
- Zoology (251)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
Biology on the Web
Biology on Twitter
- Newest MCB Blog: NSF Career Compass Challenge--Deadline, Dec. 31 bit.ly/2CcaQgy12 hours ago | NSF_BIO
- ICYMI: #NSFfunded research from @UW & @Stanford studied models of ocean conditions and animal metabolism, lab data… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…18 hours ago | NSF_BIO
- RT @UKRI_USA: Today we hosted Executive Director of Research Strategy & Programmes @BBSRC @CollisAmanda in D.C! 🇬🇧🇺🇸
Amanda had a great day…
- RT @NSF: Check the latest discoveries in the world of #science and #engineering. Whatever your interest, the #NSFScienceZone app puts all t…
- RT @maddreptiles: Happy #fieldworkfriday ! In part of my current research I am investigating the diversity of venom toxins in New World cor…
- RT @SMBLab: #BiophysicsCUREU Call for applicants for a 10-week research experience for undergraduates, sponsored by @NSF_BIO https://t.co/f…
- RT @davidcblackburn: Probably not a lot of figures from grant proposals make it directly into books, but @DrScanley's work for Figure 1 of…
- Check out this week's #FoundInMERLOT showcase: Evolution - HHMI BioInteractive #OER buff.ly/2EkHxKn1 day ago | MERLOTorg
- #NSFfunded biologists @Princeton have turned bacterial spies into assassins...of bacterial diseases.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @AndrewLHipp: It was a great day.... it always is. I was particularly impressed with the quality of student experiments and alternative…2 days ago | NSF_BIO