Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Understanding Science is the Biology Board's Classic Award winner for 2019. This site has a huge variety of resources that present a detailed and accurate portrayal of what science is and how it works. We hope you love it as much we do!
Smithsonian Open Access: Create. Imagine. Discover
Welcome to Smithsonian Open Access where you can download, share, and reuse millions of the Smithsonian's images right...
Auxin Affects Cell Walls
This site provides information about the hormone auxin, how it enables plant growth, and the effects it has on cell...
Plant Anatomy and Physiology
A Beginner’s Guide to the Study of Plant Structure. Nonvascular and Nonseed Vascular Plants: Indepth study guide with...
a chapter on the neurobiology of circadian rhythms
Photosynthesis Animation - The Biology of Plants
How photosynethesis works, uses glucose, and discards oxygen
Polar Auxin Transport Determines Adventitious Root Emergence and Growth in Rice
Flooding is a severe limitation for crop production worldwide. Unlike other crop plants, rice (Oryza sativa L.) is well...
Genetic Regulation of Embryonic Pattern Formation
Embryo development was studied using Arabidopsis, a plant used in model biology. Photographs show details of the...
Solve the Outbreak | Mobile Activities | CDC
As stated by the author the it is an interactive app a simulate the learners ability to becoming a disease detective. The...
Reference Material to learn human anatomy with 3D images.
RNA-Seq shows plants are adapting to increasing atmospheric CO2
The study suggests that plants are evolving to adapt to changes in the environment, such as changing carbon dioxide...
Plant Lessons, Printables, & Resources (K-12) - TeacherVision
Incorporate botany in your classroom with these lessons and printables on trees, flowers, ferns, molds, and mosses. There...
Upcoming Events and Art, Gardening, Conservation and Wellness Classes
From art and gardening to conservation and wellness, Mt. Cuba Center offers a wide range of learning opportunities for...
Plants: 11 StudyJams! Interactive Science Activities | Scholastic
These activities help students understand photosynthesis, gymnosperms, angiosperms, plant cells, plant adaptations, and...
Plant Cell Tutorial
This site provides information about cell components (such as cell wall, cell membrane, nucleus, endoplasmic reticulum,...
Virtual Lab: Plant Transcriptomics Virtual Lab
A great educational site with multiple interactive biology simulations.
Walls, toxicity and explosions: How plant cells protect themselves from salinity in soil
Roots face many challenges in the soil in order to supply the plant with the necessary water and nutrients. New work from...
Play the games | Centre of the Cell
This website provides interactive games to help facilitate learning about cells, genes, the body, bacteria, etc.
Grow a Plant | Plants Game | Turtle Diary
This website helps grade school students learn more about the cycle of a plant, by using an interactive science game.
Microbe Magic | Learn about Microbes and Science
Microbe magic is an interactive website for primary school students. The science website offers quizzes, games,...
Great Plant Escape
This is an interactive learning site that has students solve different "cases" that help them learn about different...
Plant Reproduction - They'll Make More
This is an informative website that talks about plant reproduction. The site specifies how different types of plants are...
Biointeractive Photosynthesis Animation
This is a wonderful animation that shows over the steps of photosynthesis. It is incredibly interactive and beautiful to...
Botany Basics: Parts of a Flower
This site is a study tool for young children who are interested in learning more about flowers. The fun and colorful...
Basics of Botany for Master Gardeners
This is a PowerPoint presentation that goes over the basics of botany. This goes over some of the vocabulary behind...
Carol TaylorMiddle Tennessee State University
Rebecca MatthewsEdgbaston High School for Girls
Olivia NogakiOld Dominion University
Karabo MaimaneGauteng Department of Health
Daniel BrennanBordentown Regional High School
Kathleen SharpLittle Flower Catholic High School for Girls
Chelsea McFadyenCalifornia State University, Long Beach
Erik TaylorCornell University
April Clyburne-SherinClyburne-Sherin LLC
Elaine BohorquezNorth Carolina State University
Virginia CunninghamBishop Gprman High School
Rebecca Williams-ellisPhillipsburg High School
Jessica WuJames Ruse Agricultural High school
Holly PittardEast Carolina University
Julia SommerGoethe University
Chester BrownUniversity of Illinois System - Urbana-Champaign
Paul ShipmanRochester Institute of Technology
Kathryn DyeUniversity System of Georgia - South Georgia State College
Madison BlaylockMississippi Gulf Coast Community/Technical College
Michelle A MooreAdrian High School
Dan GotthardRoberto Clemente Charter School
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (53)
- Biodiversity (99)
- Biology Education (10)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (25)
- Botany (346)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (552)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (10)
- Development and Embryology (69)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (785)
- Evolutionary Biology (267)
- Genetics (723)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (943)
- Life (130)
- Marine Biology (6)
- Medicine and Health (24)
- Microbiology (431)
- Mycology (4)
- Neuroscience (2)
- Zoology (247)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
- Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education
Biology on the Web
People are losing their minds over photos of John C. Reilly's hot son: 'Biology is wild'
Feb 26, 2020 01:33 PM PST
Dwarf Galago Feared Extinct Rediscovered in Kenya
Feb 26, 2020 01:22 PM PST
Early Users Share their Data on MGI Platform at Advances in Genome Biology and Technology ...
Feb 26, 2020 12:03 PM PST
This Kenyan Marine Biologist Grew Up 17 Hours Away From The Ocean
Feb 26, 2020 11:30 AM PST
'A completely new culture of doing research.' Coronavirus outbreak changes how scientists ...
Feb 26, 2020 11:07 AM PST
Melting properties determine biological functions of cuticular hydrocarbon layer of ants
Feb 26, 2020 10:56 AM PST
MSU scientists improve models of amphibian biodiversity
Feb 26, 2020 10:45 AM PST
Conference on the Biology of Plethodontid Salamanders
Feb 26, 2020 09:45 AM PST
Academic Excellence in Biology
Feb 26, 2020 09:35 AM PST
Tucson's Pueblo High to Host Climate Science, Advocacy Forum
Feb 26, 2020 09:03 AM PST
Ohio lawmakers join wave of efforts to keep biological males out of girls' sports
Feb 26, 2020 07:22 AM PST
Molecular Biology Enzymes And Kits & Reagents Market Size, Share, Regional Scope, Top ...
Feb 26, 2020 07:11 AM PST
Biology professor recipient of UMPI professorship funds
Feb 26, 2020 07:09 AM PST
Wildlife biologist concerned about lower bald eagle numbers on Mississippi
Feb 26, 2020 06:48 AM PST
Biology Chair Named Gill Eminent Professor
Feb 26, 2020 06:11 AM PST
Biology Seminar - Where the wild things are and are not: germline mutation in the human genome
Feb 26, 2020 06:10 AM PST
Will Synthetic Biology Be In The Toolbox Of BP's New Climate-Neutral CEO?
Feb 26, 2020 05:30 AM PST
Biology on Twitter
- 10 Most Popular MOOCs Starting in March #MOOC @classcentral buff.ly/2PoZD2I https://t.co/9HclXSP9ZB, photo: pic.twitter.com/9HclXSP9ZB7 hours ago | MERLOTorg
- Does P‐glycoprotein have a role in the export of amyloid‐β in Alzheimer's disease? @FEBSJournal … twitter.com/i/web/status/1…7 hours ago | wileymolecular
- Read the new special issue on Antibiotic Resistance from Protein Science @ProteinSociety
ow.ly/TgOx50yv9Nn https://t.co/2OjkehYluQ, photo: pic.twitter.com/2OjkehYluQ11 hours ago | wileymolecular
- RT @wileyinresearch: #OpenAccess is all about making research more accessible and available, driving impact, innovation and discovery to he…13 hours ago | wileymolecular
- RT @emboreports: Looking for some cool stuff? Andrew Wojtovich and co-workers @UofR devised a #mitochondria-targeted #light-activated proto…2 days ago | wileymolecular
- A new article from #FASEBBioAdvances has developed EGFR TKI drug‐tolerant (DT) human lung cancer cell lines as a mo… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 days ago | wileymolecular
- Can MOOCs Fill the Gap Left by the Coronovirus? #MOOC #coronovirus @classcentral buff.ly/37P8i4J https://t.co/2JRTCSzrsD, photo: pic.twitter.com/2JRTCSzrsD5 days ago | MERLOTorg
- Adopting #OER Can Help Students. But It Takes Time, Money and Effort @EdSurge buff.ly/3c53UlA https://t.co/oqx8BQJ2lC, photo: pic.twitter.com/oqx8BQJ2lC5 days ago | MERLOTorg
- Do elevated mercury levels in the blood increase skin #cancer risk? Most individuals in the US are exposed through… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 days ago | wileymolecular