Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Understanding Science is the Biology Board's Classic Award winner for 2019. This site has a huge variety of resources that present a detailed and accurate portrayal of what science is and how it works. We hope you love it as much we do!
DNA Learning Center
This website offers an interactive look at how DNA can be transferred between organisms by using bacterial plasmids. It...
The Carbon Cycle | UCAR Center for Science Education
This website gives help to show the way and process that the carbon cycle functions. It is an easy way for students to...
Secondary Metabolites in Plants
This website describes secondary metabolites in plants and their role. It contains a list of metabolite classes with...
CRISPR gene-editing systems 3D animation
Scientifically accurate 3D animation on CRISPR gene-editing systems with real molecular structures
Identifying Plant Nutrient Deficiencies – Grow Real Food | Living An Organic, Non-GMO Real Food Life!
This website helps others to understand the guidlines about plant deficiency and how to identify the problem. The website...
Riparian Life Zones Plants and Trees
This is a great site for learning about the riparian life zones of Colorado. It does a good job of explaining what types...
How can you eat dairy if you lack the gene for digesting it? Fermented milk may be key, ancient Mongolian study suggests
Lactose is a key sugar found in milk, which many of the Asian community cannot digest. Recently, DNA analysis of the...
Mother knows best – how plants help offspring by passing on seasonal clues | John Innes Centre
this website described how mother plants pass seasonal information to thier offsprings. Therefore, offsprings can have...
Biology4Kids.com: Plants: Basic Structure
This is a good website to teach general terms and concepts of plant physiology to students. This website also comes with...
The Great Plant Escape
The Great Plant Escape is an amazing website to learn or refresh on some botany terminology and interesting facts. This...
Human Anatomy and Physiology Preparatory Course
The overall purpose of this preparatory course textbook is to help students familiarize with some terms and some basic...
Human Body systems and Related Medical Terminology
This text is adapted from the OpenStax Textbook Anatomy and Physiology, which is a college level text intended for a...
Female Reproductive Organs Introduction Lecturio
Lecturio Medical Lectures is an online organisation that offers multitude of lectures on all medical related topics esp....
The Lung Microbiome: Challenging Old Paradigms about Microbes... - Gary Huffnagle
July 24-26, 2013 - Human Microbiome Science: Vision for the Future More: http://www.genome.gov/27554404
Particle Deposition in Respiratory Tract
Narrated by Dr. Pete Raynor, University of Minnesota School of Public Health. Animations by Derek Siebert, University of...
iBiology — Bringing the world's best biology to you, for free!
iBiology offers you free biology videos from the world's leading scientists, with over 25 Nobel laureates. Talks include...
Robert Sapolsky's Edutaining "Human Behavioral Biology"
The course is an accessible yet scientifically detailed introduction to modern biology’s understanding of human behavior....
Pearson - The Biology Place
Animated clips of animal and plant cells in hypertonic environments
Evidence for the Endosymbiotic Hypothesis
Similarities Between Bacteria and Semiautonomous Organelles Since the symbiotic hypothesis states that mitochondria and...
Simplified Nitrogen Cycle
This graphic is a succinct representation of a localized nitrogen cycle. The figure is complete with basic interactions...
Botany Depot is a great website that contains a wide variety of information pertaining to botany. This website includes...
Environmental Science: A Canadian Perspective
This textbook is intended to provide the core elements of a curriculum for teaching environmental science at the...
ENVS181 Course Materials
This folder has pointers to open resources for Environmental Science 181 at Lane Community College. It is organized by...
Biology for AP® Courses
Biology for AP® Courses covers the scope and sequence requirements of a typical two-semester Advanced Placement® biology...
Cody RussellCalifornia State University, Northridge
Sarah IversonWeber State University
Yulu Cherry LiuHarvard University
TJ SullivanIndiana University System - Indiana University-Kokomo
Cathleen HartneyFort Lewis College
Iris HenryRiver Parishes Community College
Marco MontiUniversity of Manchester
Cinnamon FrameResearch Triangle High School, Opportunity Learning
Gregory CrowtherEverett Community/Technical College
Zeynep Akyol AtamanMount San Jacinto College
Cynthia SeiwertGoodwin College
Idena MuhlesteinWeber State University
Ajose OjajuniEdgewood College
ANDRESSA CORREA PIMENTEL MARINHOUNIGRANRIO
Donna HensonWest Vigo Middle School
Shaheem AbrahamsThomas Nelson Community/Technical College
jordan lazo riveraINACAP Universidad Tecnológica de Chile
Bridgette KirkpatrickCollin County Community/Technical College
claudia infanteUniversidad Autónoma de Chile
Phyllis FreemanFisk University
Carmen López SaizUniversidad de Sonora
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (14)
- Biodiversity (89)
- Biology Education (7)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (24)
- Botany (307)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (565)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (8)
- Development and Embryology (70)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (780)
- Evolutionary Biology (265)
- General (397)
- Genetics (621)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (940)
- Life (134)
- Marine Biology (6)
- Medicine and Health (18)
- Microbiology (361)
- Mycology (4)
- Zoology (250)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
- Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education
Biology on the Web
Biology Graduate Lands Internship Studying Western Plant Populations
May 22, 2019 09:07 AM PDT
Ancient toy inspires tool for state-of-the-art science
May 22, 2019 08:59 AM PDT
Cell division requires a balanced level of non-coding RNA for chromosome stability
May 22, 2019 08:45 AM PDT
Asia-Pacific Synthetic Biology Tools Market Report 2018
May 22, 2019 08:09 AM PDT
New approach for determining conservation threat for species with little data
May 22, 2019 07:06 AM PDT
New tool could help molecular biologists understand complex processes within cells
May 22, 2019 06:31 AM PDT
Most of the High Schools Graduates Will Sit a Biology or English Exam
May 22, 2019 05:56 AM PDT
Gloria Culver reappointed Dean of School of Arts and Sciences
May 22, 2019 05:11 AM PDT
How a synthetic genome could be used to repurpose lifeforms
May 22, 2019 04:26 AM PDT
Testing is all about scientific research at Cheverus High School
May 22, 2019 03:41 AM PDT
Cyanuric acid Market has reached Maturity Stage- A comprehensive report | Wolan Biology, HeBei ...
May 22, 2019 02:22 AM PDT
Synthetic E. coli pushes the limits of gene synthesis
May 22, 2019 02:00 AM PDT
Global Gallic Acid Sales Market 2019 – Jiurui Biology, Xiangxi Gaoyuan, Hunan Linong, BEIYUAN ...
May 22, 2019 01:34 AM PDT
Global Poultry Vaccines Market 2019 – Merial, CEVA, QYH Biotech, Ringpu Biology
May 22, 2019 01:34 AM PDT
A New View On Cell Division
May 22, 2019 01:17 AM PDT
Molecular Biology Enzymes, Kits & Reagents Market – Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share ...
May 22, 2019 12:14 AM PDT
Global Molecular Biology Enzymes, Kits & Reagents Market Insights 2019 Product Scope – Jena ...
May 22, 2019 12:07 AM PDT
Global D-Phenylalanine Market Outlook 2019 – 2025 : Ajinomoto Group, KYOWA, Maidan Biology ...
May 21, 2019 11:45 PM PDT
Assistant Teaching Professor
May 21, 2019 11:14 PM PDT
Global Synthetic Biology Tools Market 2019 Major Countries Data: Thermo Fisher Scientific ...
May 21, 2019 10:03 PM PDT
Biology on Twitter
- On June 4th: OLC’s @DevonCancilla leads a panel to discuss how digital education will impact SoCal over the next 10… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 hours ago | MERLOTorg
- ICYMI: #NSFfunded researchers @Princeton constructed algae public "library" to help understand each gene's role. Us… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6 hours ago | NSF_BIO
- ICYMI: #NSFfunded study indicates that trees play a big role in keeping our towns and cities cool… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Lipid Metabolism- Free Virtual Issue from BJP ow.ly/a0p550udvtU https://t.co/1wsN8qaiSw, photo: pic.twitter.com/1wsN8qaiSw1 day ago | wileymolecular
- Need Business OER? Check these out! buff.ly/2PMNHH2
#OER #FoundInMERLOT #Business https://t.co/UcdMsJDCPi, photo: pic.twitter.com/UcdMsJDCPi1 day ago | MERLOTorg
- RT @NHLBI_Translate: Article in @ScienceMagazine shows that @NIH #training awards are increasingly important for future #funding and landin…
- RT @MonicaGTurner: Our study of reburns in young lodgepole pine forests in @YellowstoneNPS and @GrandTetonNPS gives glimpse of future w/ mo…
- RT @USBrainAlliance: This resource, an excellent 40-min webinar called "How to Combine Imaging Tools for Big Data Analysis," features 6 BRA…
- RT @SarthokR: We got funded by @NSF_BIO! A great collaboration among @Hines_Lab @FrostMuseum, John Tooker and Sean Brady to unlock the evol…
- RT @FletcherEcology: Manipulating the matrix for a landscape experiment!
@NSF_BIO @BrunaLab @thomasAHsmith https://t.co/GbwG3zy70b, photo: pic.twitter.com/GbwG3zy70b