Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Understanding Science is the Biology Board's Classic Award winner for 2019. This site has a huge variety of resources that present a detailed and accurate portrayal of what science is and how it works. We hope you love it as much we do!
Welcome to Learn Medical Neuroscience - Learn Medical Neuroscience
Learn Medical Neuroscience. A site to support learning in Medical Neuroscience, Neuroanatomy and Neurology. Full of links...
Foundational Concepts and Techniques in Biotechnology
A free online platform for science education from Harvard University
Life Cycle of Corona Virus
A free online platform for science education from Harvard University
Spider Silk: Wonder Material Used to Heal the Human Body
Spider silk is one of nature's wonder materials, more flexible than nylon, thinner than a human hair, and, for its...
Plants talk to each other using an internet of fungus
Hidden under your feet is an information superhighway that allows plants to communicate and help each other out. It’s...
From lakes and lagoons to coral reefs and seagrass beds, explore our wetlands and why they are important.
National Wetland Plant List
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps), as part of an interagency effort with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency...
Field Guide to Common Wetland Plants of West Virginia
An illustrated, online guide to wetland plants of West Virginia
Native Plants and Habitats
Discover the most common native plants found in each coastal habitat. These plant lists and other resources can help...
Human Biology Lab Manual
Human Biology Lab Manual
Phenomena Found in Agriculture - Middle School Ecosystem Dynamics and Interactions Unit
What do Prairie Chickens Need in Order to Survive Today's Prairie? This middle school unit covering ecosystems, animal...
Phenomena Found in Agriculture - High School Genetics and Heredity Unit
How can we Design Cattle to Better Meet Human Needs? In this high school Storyline unit on genetics and heredity,...
“Bad Breath”: An integrated case study of alcoholic liver disease for first year medical students.
Alcoholic liver disease represents a timeless teaching opportunity for health professional students. Due to the...
Recharging and rejuvenation of decontaminated N95 masks
Physics of Fluids 32, 093304 (2020); https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0023940 Abstract N95 respirators comprise a critical part...
Jim Allison: Breakthrough (film) and Educator Toolkit
Educators can use the toolkit as a whole or borrow pieces to meet their unique learning objectives and circumstances. You...
DK Find Out! | Fun Facts for Kids on Animals, Earth, History and more!
Visit DK Find Out! to learn about dinosaurs, space, animals, nature & more. Fun learning activities for kids with videos,...
Online Resources for Science Laboratories (POD) - Remote Teaching
Online Resources for Science Laboratories (POD) - Remote Teaching. This is a live document. For many subjects and...
Open Scholarship Knowledge Base
The Open Scholarship Knowledge Base contains resources created, curated, and contributed by the Open Scholarship...
Human Anatomy Laboratory Manual, 2020
This human anatomy laboratory manual acts as a textbook for undergraduate human anatomy courses. Each chapter has review...
SARS-CoV-2 spike protein fusion transformation
This tutorial explains the transformation of the coronavirus spike protein that pulls the virus membrane into contact...
SARS-CoV-2 spike protein priming by furin
This tutorial explains the structure of the spike protein, accompanied by interactive animations of structures determined...
Open at the Margins: Critical Perspectives on Open Education
Open At The Margins: Critical Perspectives on Open Education is a pertinent book on Open Education, "containing 38...
Changing Recommendations about How to Reduce Your Risk of Coronavirus Infection – What is the evidence?
In this analysis and discussion activity, students learn about the scientific basis of recommendations to reduce the...
CARMEN EUFEMIA ROJAS ZENOZAÍNCarmen Rojas Zenozain
Susan BarhorstUrsuline Academy of Cincinnati
Luti ErbeznikOakland Community/Technical College
Jon FreriksYavapai College
Lisa BraysenUniversity of Houston System - Downtown
Editha De JesusSouthern Luzon State University
Jennifer WawrzonekPikes Peak Community/Technical College
Kristal AldinWaimea High School
Kara ReedKansas City Kansas Community/Technical College
Geyby CarrilloUniversidad Nacional de Tumbes
Howard YorekGeorgia Perimeter College
Don LotterCalifornia State University, Sacramento
Kass EvansUniversity of Leeds
Andrea BarrettAngelina College
Theresa MartinCollege of San Mateo
Karthikumar SankarKAMARAJ COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY
LaTrece Bracksregion 9
Niamh CurrieUniversity of Glasgow
Hermielisa GuiroyWestern Mindanao State University
Darija GudaitytėDidždvaris gymnasium
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (61)
- Biodiversity (98)
- Biology Education (17)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (31)
- Botany (354)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (565)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (13)
- Development and Embryology (66)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (781)
- Evolutionary Biology (274)
- Genetics (727)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (950)
- Life (133)
- Marine Biology (11)
- Medicine and Health (37)
- Microbiology (433)
- Mycology (6)
- Neuroscience (5)
- Zoology (251)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
- Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education
Biology on the Web
Computational Biology Market 2020: Recent Developments. Latest Trends, Industry News, Supply ...
Dec 02, 2020 03:26 PM PST
Illinois State Police Announces 48% Reduction in DNA/Biology Backlog Since March 2019
Dec 02, 2020 11:18 AM PST
Sea urchins and social distance: 12 UChicago students study at the Marine Biological Laboratory
Dec 02, 2020 10:00 AM PST
Trump Administration Denies Protection to Imperiled Northern California Fish
Dec 02, 2020 09:56 AM PST
Porcine Circovirus Vaccine Market R & D including top key players Chopper Biology, ChengDu ...
Dec 02, 2020 09:37 AM PST
Salk's Uri Manor to receive over $690000 from CZI to advance biological imaging
Dec 02, 2020 08:52 AM PST
Reversal of biological clock restores vision in old mice
Dec 02, 2020 08:18 AM PST
Cancer researchers receive NIH Director's New Innovator Award
Dec 02, 2020 07:56 AM PST
Colby Cosh: The biggest news in biology had nothing to do with the COVID-19 vaccine
Dec 02, 2020 07:33 AM PST
Photonics meets surface science in a cheap and accurate sensor for biological liquids
Dec 02, 2020 07:10 AM PST
Konza Prairie continues decades of research success with $7.12 million NSF grant renewal
Dec 02, 2020 05:18 AM PST
Molecular Biology Enzymes Market Size & Business Planning, Innovation to See Modest Growth ...
Dec 02, 2020 04:45 AM PST
A rational approach to discover and precision-engineer new biologic drugs
Dec 02, 2020 04:43 AM PST
Viral Transport Media (VTM) market 2020 Strong Development By Major Eminent Players YOCON ...
Dec 02, 2020 04:11 AM PST
Power and health: Research links gender roles to health risks among Mosuo women
Dec 02, 2020 03:59 AM PST
Molecular Biology Enzymes and Kits & Reagents Market Sales Figures, Future Prospect, Forecast ...
Dec 02, 2020 03:13 AM PST
To study aging, scientists are looking to outer space
Dec 02, 2020 03:03 AM PST
Global Computational Biology Market 2020 Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026
Dec 02, 2020 02:24 AM PST
Biology on Twitter
- RT @wileyinresearch: The pandemic has proven once again that we need to prioritize public health equity.
Read these articles on RISE: Res…8 hours ago | wileymolecular
- FEBS Letters new #Sphingolipid Biology special issue features 10 contributions that reflect some of the diversity i… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…12 hours ago | wileymolecular
- Structural biology is going through a revolution as a result of transformational advances in the field of cryo-elec… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…13 hours ago | wileymolecular
- This #EJI study finds that successful direct‐acting antiviral therapy in HIV/HCV co‐infected patients fails to rest… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @BlackInImmuno: We would just like to thank all of your for the success that was #BlackInImmunoWeek!! Don't forget you can still watch o…
- This #EJI article looks at the impact of HIV‐1 viremia or sexually transmitted infection on semen‐derived anti‐HIV‐… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- This #WorldAIDSDay, JIAS invites you to read and share this Special Issue that reflects on where we are and offers… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- For #WorldAIDSDay tomorrow, we'll be sharing important articles like this one from European Journal of Immunology.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- For #WorldAIDSDay tomorrow, we will be sharing some relevant free articles from #EJI, like this one which looks at… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Join us on Dec 3 for a high-level broad coverage of the new EU IVD regulation and the impact it may have on the dai… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…