Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Understanding Science is the Biology Board's Classic Award winner for 2019. This site has a huge variety of resources that present a detailed and accurate portrayal of what science is and how it works. We hope you love it as much we do!
Will My Kid Be OK? A classroom activity about genetic counseling
This is a classroom activity for Introductory General Biology students in which students assume the role of a genetic...
Microbiomes: Health and the Environment
Microbiomes: Health and the Environment was created to provide accessible insight into the novel and complex world of...
A Primer of Evolution: An Introduction to Evolutionary Thought: Theory, Evidence, and Practice
A Primer of Evolution is an open educational resource designed for upper-level college students. It provides a succinct...
Video series, some interactive modules
The Science of Plants
An approachable guide to the fundamentals of plant science. Created for horticulture students, gardeners, science...
Human Anatomy and Physiology Video Lab Series
These videos were created to support a course in Human Anatomy and Kinesiology. Students have access to a short...
Sustainability - A Comprehensive Foundation
This text is designed to introduce the reader to the essential concepts of sustainability. This subject is of vital...
Evolutionary thinking provides the underpinnings of modern biology. In recent decades, the field of macroevolution...
Harnessing the Biosphere: Natural Products and Biotechnology
What do the organisms of the biosphere, specifically microorganisms, have to offer to biotechnological endeavors? In this...
Microbiology of Fermented Foods and Beverages
<p>Fermented foods are consumed all over the world and their consumption shows an increasing trend. They play many roles,...
Yeast Biotechnology 3.0
Yeasts are truly fascinating microorganisms. Due to their diverse and dynamic activities, they have been used for the...
How To Do Science
'How To Do Science' has been written for students of the life sciences who are actively engaged in the scientific...
BEMET: CEN Review Videos
BEMET: Certified Emergency Nurse Review Videos
Medical Mycology is an on-line upper level undergraduate/graduate level course. It is divided into 8 Modules as follows:...
Extinction Stories was co-authored by undergraduate students at Worcester Polytechnic Institute while exploring issues of...
Musculoskelordle | Mystery Muscle Guessing Game
Play Musculoskelordle! See if you can guess a random muscle in 10 tries. Revise anatomy, learn new information and...
tadalafill :Get your perfect dose today with tadalafil
Tadalafil tablests is safe and easy to use, and with one pill you will get all the benefits of a long-lasting erection....
Environmental Justice Guided Reading Jigsaw
This activity is designed to be part of a group term project that engages students in thinking about how environmental...
A talking to the text activity
The Mathematical Impossibility Of Evolution
According to the most-widely accepted theory of evolution today, the sole mechanism for producing evolution is that of...
Darwin's theory is not science! In 5 minutes - Dr David Berlinski
"The fundamental claim of intelligent design is straightforward and easily intelligible: namely, there are natural...
Stephen Meyer Takes On Darwin's Tree
Everyone has seen the iconic tree of life depicted by Darwin. But in this bonus interview released as part of the Science...
LIVING WATERS—Echolocation and Intelligent Design
The creative potential of both intelligent design and natural selection are considered in the context of a dolphin’s...
What Is Irreducible Complexity?
This is a clip from the documentary "Revolutionary" featuring Michael Behe and Stephen Meyer discussing Behe's idea of...
Lisa TuckerAmerican Baptist College
Junesh KarkiSt. Xavier's College, Maitighar, KTM
Jacqueline KruegerCity Colleges of Chicago - Olive-Harvey College
Cam HUniversity of Miami
ZHU email@example.comShanDong University of Traditional Chinese Medicine
Michael ToblerKansas State University
Gabrielle VoogtOld Dominion University
Megan WitteThomas Jefferson Classical Academy
Rachel RamirezChristopher Newport University
Clarissa BrownEast Central College
Alejandra DasheArizona State University
Teresa BeamManchester College
Chiju ChenCity Colleges of Chicago
William LopezLuna Vocational Technical Institute
Bee VolkensVesper Assessor of Employment & Communications
Robert VickElon University
Olga KoppUtah Valley University
Zhe FANGHunan University
Melissa GrahamOxnard College
Nancy IngTexas A and M University System - College Station
Devid SmithGeneric Pharmacist
Tracey WilsonLawson State Community/Technical College
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (67)
- Biodiversity (118)
- Biology Education (51)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (42)
- Botany (369)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (605)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (16)
- Development and Embryology (68)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (817)
- Evolutionary Biology (284)
- Genetics (743)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (971)
- Life (5)
- Marine Biology (14)
- Medicine and Health (54)
- Microbiology (446)
- Mycology (7)
- Neuroscience (12)
- Zoology (256)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
- Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education
Biology on the Web
U.S. to Support Philippines in Addressing Biological and Chemical Security Threats
Aug 11, 2022 04:27 AM PDT
Biosecurity is synthetic biology's most crucial ally - Labiotech.eu
Aug 11, 2022 03:56 AM PDT
Myles '24 Tracks Threats to Alaska Shorebirds in Levitt Research Project - Hamilton College
Aug 11, 2022 03:37 AM PDT
Biologist: Wind development outpaces slow work of tracking eagles - WyoFile
Aug 11, 2022 03:28 AM PDT
Deep-Sea Sponges Can 'sneeze' Out Mucus, and The Footage Is Weirdly Mesmerizing
Aug 11, 2022 12:02 AM PDT
Marshfield family makes strides to save Monarchs | Biology | waow.com
Aug 10, 2022 11:47 PM PDT
Research Assistant in the Division of Science Biology, Dr. Dan Ohtan Wang
Aug 10, 2022 10:25 PM PDT
Biology professor wins Richard Buchholz Conservation Behavior Award
Aug 10, 2022 10:00 PM PDT
Scientists explore ecological firewalls for the containment of synthetic microbes
Aug 10, 2022 09:54 PM PDT
Sister Kathleen Tracey, S.C. - Catholic New York
Aug 10, 2022 09:11 PM PDT
Surprising Behavior: Sponges “Sneeze” To Dispose of Waste, Spewing Mucus Into the Sea
Aug 10, 2022 08:29 PM PDT
Post Doctoral Fellow, Biology job with KHALIFA UNIVERSITY | 304516
Aug 10, 2022 07:46 PM PDT
Sponges “sneeze” to dispose of waste | EurekAlert!
Aug 10, 2022 07:04 PM PDT
Research Assistant / Research Fellow in RNA biology / Neurobiology
Aug 10, 2022 06:02 PM PDT
Hibernation slows biological aging in bats - Newswise
Aug 10, 2022 05:51 PM PDT
Homochirality and chiral-induced spin selectivity: A new spin on the origin of life | PNAS
Aug 10, 2022 05:20 PM PDT
Our 2022-23 Student Contest Calendar: Fall Semester - The New York Times
Aug 10, 2022 04:58 PM PDT
Internet Slams Couple Refusing to Pay Son's Biological Mom to Babysit - Newsweek
Aug 10, 2022 04:01 PM PDT
Biology | USU
Aug 10, 2022 03:54 PM PDT
Serena Williams' farewell an eloquent acknowledgement of biological inequality
Aug 10, 2022 03:05 PM PDT
Biology on Twitter
- Congratulations to this year's winners and nominees! 🙌
twitter.com/BenjaminSolomo…2 hours ago | WileyBiomedical
- A new study found that an mRNA booster shot provides the same level of #COVID19 immunity to people whose first two… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6 hours ago | WileyBiomedical
- RT @ASBMR: A #JBMR study shows that CCN2 promotes IL-17 production in OASFs and facilitates osteoclast formation by inhibiting miR-655 prod…7 hours ago | WileyBiomedical
- RT @ASBMR: New in #JBMR: Estimating the incidence and key risk factors of cardiovascular disease in patients at high risk of imminent fract…8 hours ago | WileyBiomedical
- RT @neurosutras: Our paper modeling network mechanisms of offline memory replay is now online as part of a special issue of the Journal of…9 hours ago | WileyBiomedical
- Read about blended learning in a biology classroom: Pre-pandemic insights for post-pandemic instructional strategie… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…11 hours ago | WileyBiomedical
- Explore the updated @JPhysiol Editor's Choice virtual issue.
The latest papers are free to read:… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @SocBirthDefects: Important new paper authored by several BDRP members published this week in our journal Birth Defects Research. #COVID…
- RT @NobelPrize: 103 years ago medicine laureate August Krogh published his article - 'The supply of oxygen to the tissues and the regulatio…
- RT @Wiley_Chemistry: The latest issue of #MedResRev is online now! In this issue you'll find some great #review articles on #Zika #antivira…