Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Understanding Science is the Biology Board's Classic Award winner for 2019. This site has a huge variety of resources that present a detailed and accurate portrayal of what science is and how it works. We hope you love it as much we do!
Antibody Molecular Structure & Function
Video Tutorial with Quiz & open-ended questions: Antibody (IgG1) molecular structure and how it supports defense...
Endocrine system diseases | NCLEX-RN | Test prep | Khan Academy
The most common endocrine system disease is Diabetes Mellitus. There are two types of diabetes that arise from distinct...
Anatomy and Physiology
This is a guide to help Anatomy and Physiology college students find some good tutorials to assist them in learning the...
CoVis - Discover reliable COVID-19 research
CoVis provides a curated knowledge map of seminal works on COVID-19 research. The knowledge map is constantly evolving...
Johns Hopkins University & Medicine: Coronavirus Resource Center/COVID-19 Tracking Data Map
Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, experts in global public health, infectious disease, and emergency...
Open Research Library: Open Access Books
The Open Research Library (ORL) will eventually contain a scholarly collection of 20,000+ Open Access books available to...
Switch Zoo: Teach and Learn
Build a biome and an online habitat, play other learning games, read animal facts, get lesson plans.
Giant Pandas: Into the Wild
Design a giant panda wildlife reserve suitable for panda health and happiness. Your challenge is to prepare your pandas...
DK Find Out! | Land Habitats
This is a website for students to investigate and learn more about habitats. This page is a diagram of some major land...
H5P OER HUB
H5P's Authoring Tool (https://h5p.org) is used by the global Open Education and K-12 Education Community to create and...
ASAPbio: Accelerating Science and Publication in Biology
ASAPbio (Accelerating Science and Publication in Biology) is a biological-driven organization working to promote...
Peer Community in (PCI): a free public system for peer-reviewing & highlighting preprints
The "Peer Community in" (PCI) is a non-profit scientific organization that aims to create specific communities of...
imsc-visual-essay The Integrated Mitotic Stem Cell
Provides a data driven model and visualization tool that captures a holistic view of human cell division.
We created an online learning object that aims to promote awareness of the importance of plants in our lives,...
NeMO-Net is a single player iPad game where players help NASA classify coral reefs by painting 3D and 2D images of coral....
En este Lesson plan vamos a aprender sobre los animales y sus características. - Distinguir los animales vertebrados e...
Laboratory Exercises in Microbiology: Discovering the Unseen World Through Hands-On Investigation - Open Textbook Library
The exercises in this laboratory manual are designed to engage students in hands-on activities that reinforce their...
Human Heredity BI 441-541 Spring 2020
This course outlines a focus on genetics related to human inheritance, disease, and medicine. This includes cell...
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Compliance Guideline
The EU General Data Protection Regulation went into effect on May 25, 2018, replacing the Data Protection Directive...
Meta | Expand Your Research
Meta is a free discovery tool that uses machine learning to map biomedical science as it happens—so researchers can...
Phalogenics Male Enhancement
Phalogenics is an online penis exercise program that will help you enlarge penis size, length and girth naturally and...
Aerosol Filtration Efficiency of Common Fabrics Used in Respiratory Cloth Masks
The emergence of a pandemic affecting the respiratory system can result in a significant demand for face masks. This...
Coronavirus Disease Research Community - COVID-19 | Zenodo
Zenodo's Coronavirus Disease Research Community COVID-19 collects research inputs that may be relevant to the Coronavirus...
Individual and state precautions against COVID-19
In the final lesson, we will review what hygiene precautions need to be taken to prevent infection and explain how to use...
Eartha ColeInstitute of Jamaica
Allyssa Marie EscubilJubilee Christian Academy
Gracejeet SroyaLos Angeles Pierce College
Elizabeth BoedekerSt. Louis Community/Technical College - Florissant Valley
Teresa CreaseUniversity of Guelph
Jenny ClancyUniversity of Glasgow
Teresa NewberryTohono O'odham Community College
Perry BalianCitizens of the World Charter School
Bio DeptCENTRAL MINDANAO UNIVERSITY
FELISA JYL MARFILCENTRAL MINDANAO UNIVERSITY
Haya AlSammarKuwait university
LaTia ScottDelaware State University
Adele SeelkeUniversity of California System - Davis
O BarrowSolihull College
yishai yehudaJerusalem College of Technology
Par MohammadianLos Angeles Mission College
Travis NationAnderson College
Sinead Ni ChadhainUniversity of South Alabama
Carroll BrooksYonsei university
Levi CastleAnson Community/Technical College
Thejaswi BhandaryMount Carmel College
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (56)
- Biodiversity (98)
- Biology Education (14)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (29)
- Botany (354)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (565)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (13)
- Development and Embryology (66)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (778)
- Evolutionary Biology (273)
- Genetics (727)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (950)
- Life (133)
- Marine Biology (11)
- Medicine and Health (32)
- Microbiology (432)
- Mycology (6)
- Neuroscience (4)
- Zoology (250)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
- Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education
Biology on the Web
Blood Molecular Biology Tubes Market is Thriving According to New Report: Opportunities Rise For ...
Jul 08, 2020 09:41 PM PDT
Global Dried Sea-cucumber Market 2020 Top Companies – Dalian Haiyantang Biology, Dalian ...
Jul 08, 2020 08:33 PM PDT
Multiple R&D Projects in the Pipeline to Boost the Growth of the Synthetic Biology Market 2016 ...
Jul 08, 2020 04:26 PM PDT
UNM researchers address disproportionate COVID-19 infections among people of color
Jul 08, 2020 03:30 PM PDT
Local wildlife biologist and artists helps patients focus more on walls than their ailments
Jul 08, 2020 01:48 PM PDT
Molecular Biology Enzymes Market | Industry Insight 2020-2026 Covered players: Thermo Fisher ...
Jul 08, 2020 01:26 PM PDT
Molecular Biology Kits Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026
Jul 08, 2020 01:15 PM PDT
Part-Time Lecturer(s) Pool in Biology job with California State University, Stanislaus
Jul 08, 2020 01:14 PM PDT
New type of base editor works on mitochondrial DNA
Jul 08, 2020 01:03 PM PDT
Ronald Maddrey Crawley
Jul 08, 2020 12:30 PM PDT
Study reveals how bacteria build essential carbon-fixing machinery
Jul 08, 2020 11:21 AM PDT
Drummer Chad Taylor Radiates Good Vibrations On 'The Daily Biological'
Jul 08, 2020 10:25 AM PDT
The Biology and Therapeutic Potential of Mesenchymal Stem Cells derived Exosomes
Jul 08, 2020 10:25 AM PDT
Abnormal cells in early-stage embryos might not preclude IVF success
Jul 08, 2020 09:52 AM PDT
Jul 08, 2020 09:50 AM PDT
BennuBio Inc. Receives $1 Million Grant For Novel Biological Screening Technology Development
Jul 08, 2020 09:30 AM PDT
NASA Science Town Hall – July 9
Jul 08, 2020 08:45 AM PDT
Some animals learn to make new sounds
Jul 08, 2020 08:44 AM PDT
Biology on Twitter
- RT @wileyinresearch: There's no one path to becoming a researcher.
Just ask Kolbi Brown from @AllofUsResearch. From real estate to precis…14 hours ago | wileymolecular
- Register for this free webinar to learn more about the characterization of cancer neoantigens, and the key learning… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…17 hours ago | wileymolecular
- Increased 2019 Impact Factor for Biology of the Cell: 3.922! ow.ly/AsE150AqLHR https://t.co/q754nsKJM1, photo: pic.twitter.com/q754nsKJM12 days ago | wileymolecular
- Congratulations to the journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology for their #ImpactFactor increase 🎉 Explore the jo… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 days ago | wileymolecular
- With better imaging comes a better understanding of the infection cycle of #adenoviruses. ow.ly/QsYK50Anibu https://t.co/zXsb5AGe3P, photo: pic.twitter.com/zXsb5AGe3P5 days ago | wileymolecular
- Read special issue on Enhancer functions underlying morphological diversity. #enhancer @dgd_journal… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 days ago | wileymolecular
- A Review article on current technologies used to detect circulating tumor cells and circulating tumor DNA.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6 days ago | wileymolecular
- Read for free on Biotechnology and Bioengineering - The importance and future of biochemical engineering - top biot… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6 days ago | wileymolecular
- Adenoviruses: Biology, Disease and Therapy is a thorough exploration into the topic, with review articles to help y… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 week ago | wileymolecular
- Research to curtail COVID-19 is moving quickly. At the same time unvalidated data can lead to unsubstantiated rumou… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 week ago | wileymolecular