Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Joint Roadmap for Open Science Tools (JROST)
The Joint Roadmap for Open Science Tools (JROST) is a collaborative effort by like-minded individuals and organizations...
The Anthropocene: Human Impact on the Environment | HHMI BioInteractive
This interactive self-contained lesson explores how humans impact the environment. The lesson focuses on the impacts to...
Paleoclimate: A History of Change | HHMI BioInteractive
This interactive, self-contained lesson explores factors that impact Earth's climate, focusing on the historical...
Open Science MOOC: Principles and Practices
The Open Science MOOC: Principles and Practices is designed for faculty, students, and researchers who want to better...
Self-Assembled Molecules – New Kind of Protein Ligands | SpringerLink
This book is an open access under a CC BY license. The subject of this book relates to protein ligands with particular...
Instructor's Guide to Concepts of Biology, Chapters 12-21
This Instructor’s Guide contains the brief outlines of Chapters 12-21 as found in Concepts of Biology, though some...
Open Science Training Handbook (ver 1)
The Open Science Training Handbook (ver. 1) is intended for anyone who wishes to host Open Science training events or...
Open Science Children's Stories: "Fly-in-Space"
Fly in Space is excellent example of an Open Science Children's Story about two fruit flys born on earth and raised in...
Opossum Society of the United States
As development of once rural land increases, the opossum continues to be pushed out of its natural habitat and forced...
Slides for Junqueira's Basic Histology
A set of digitized histology images
Natural Sciences Grade 8
Grade 8 open source natural science textbook
General collection of fungus related information.
Welcome - Amanitaceae.org - Taxonomy and Morphology of Amanita and Limacella
A thorough treatment of Amanitaceae.
Myths of Human Genetics: Introduction
Discussion and sources relevant to the most common examples of Mendelian traits in humans.
B.C. Campus Open Education: Open Textbook Self-Publishing Guide
B.C. Campus Open Education: Open Textbook Self-Publishing Guide is a practical reference/development tool for...
INA-Rxiv Papers: The Open Access Preprint Server of Indonesia
INA-Rxiv Papers is a free, open access, country-lead preprint service and preprint repository for all academic and...
Virtual Labs: Gram Staining
This resource is a narrated animation on how gram staining of bacteria is done.
The B Files (Bias Case Studies)
Case studies of bias in real life epidemiologic studies
ChemSpider.com | Chemical Structure Database
ChemSpider is a free chemical structural database providing fast text and structure search access to over 63+ million...
CitizenScience.gov (USA) is an official government website designed to accelerate the use of crowdsourcing and Citizen...
LabScribbles: SGC's Extreme Open Science Initiative: Real-time Open Lab/books
LabScribbles, another milestone and model in Open Science, involves 20+ research scientists from different Structural...
Metrics-Toolkit.org | Helping you use metrics responsibly
The Metrics Toolkit provides evidence-based information about research metrics across disciplines, including how each...
Bio-Alive Biology and Life Science Video Share
Bio-alive is a life science online video sharing community, and the premier destination to watch and share biology and...
MarXiv Papers: OA ePrint Repository for Ocean and Marine-Climate Sciences
MarXiv Papers is a free, Open Access ePrint (preprints/postprints) repository for Ocean and Marine-Climate Sciences....
Sheralyne TierseronJ. Sargeant Reynolds Community/Technical College
Cynthia HarleyMetropolitan State University
Latasha SmithRochester Community and Technical College
Amy NunnallyFront Range Community/Technical College
Leocadia PaliulisBucknell University
Sam SmithSouth Dakota State University
craig giermannMesabi Range Community College
Shirma Ramroop ButtsBethune-Cookman University
Kayla CalcianoKern High School District
shuo daiOklahoma State University - Stillwater
Jenifer VangSan Jose State University
Jonathan ShortMount San Jacinto College
ivana mirkovucVictoria University
Jordi Villà-FreixaUniversitat de Vic - Universitat Central de Catalunya
Tessa CarsnerCalifornia State University, Long Beach
Nancy BurnsQuinnipiac College
Kristen PorterWestfield State College
Norris ArmstrongUniversity System of Georgia - University of Georgia
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (3)
- Biodiversity (85)
- Biology Education (4)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (6)
- Botany (293)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (563)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (7)
- Development and Embryology (69)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (775)
- Evolutionary Biology (259)
- General (402)
- Genetics (599)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (929)
- Life (134)
- Marine Biology (4)
- Medicine and Health (9)
- Microbiology (364)
- Mycology (4)
- Zoology (252)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
Biology on the Web
Molecular Biology Enzymes and Kits & Reagents Market Analysis And In-Depth Research On ...
May 22, 2018 10:48 AM PDT
Erythritol Market Demand and Key Players by 2023: Baolingbao Biology, Cargill, Jungbunzlauer ...
May 22, 2018 09:49 AM PDT
New brain development disorder identified by scientists
May 22, 2018 09:41 AM PDT
Maine wildlife biologists recommend record number of any-deer permits in 2018
May 22, 2018 09:39 AM PDT
Science Behind the Fiction: The Earth biology of Chewbacca and the Wookiees
May 22, 2018 09:30 AM PDT
AGBT meeting report
May 22, 2018 08:17 AM PDT
Colour vision in mammals
May 22, 2018 08:14 AM PDT
16 Johns Hopkins students receive Fulbright grants
May 22, 2018 08:11 AM PDT
Synthetic Biology Market 2025 with Focus on Emerging Technologies, Global Trends, Competitive ...
May 22, 2018 07:48 AM PDT
Study finds missing link between blow flies and possible pathogen transmission
May 22, 2018 07:38 AM PDT
Inscape Publishes Talents Of Students, Faculty, Staff
May 22, 2018 07:26 AM PDT
May 22, 2018 07:03 AM PDT
13th International Congress on the Biology of Fish
May 22, 2018 06:57 AM PDT
IUPUI study finds missing link between blow flies and possible pathogen transmission
May 22, 2018 06:52 AM PDT
Beneath the Foam: Spittlebugs' Preferred Host Plants
May 22, 2018 06:18 AM PDT
Global Fructooligosaccharide (FOS) Market 2018 – Meiji, QHT, Beneo-Orafti, Baolingbao Biology ...
May 22, 2018 06:18 AM PDT
Pure Biology Total Eye Review (UPDATED 2018): Don't Buy Before You Read This!
May 22, 2018 06:07 AM PDT
Conservation Biologist Ben Collen Dies of Bone Cancer
May 22, 2018 05:45 AM PDT
Biology on Twitter
- RT @FEBSOpenBio: Our May issue is out now, come and take a look! This month we have papers on #HeartFailure,… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…1 hour ago | molecular
- RT @FEBS_Letters: #CrystalStructure of aIF1 from #Pyrococcus horikoshii. The study provides intriguing insights into how the unique structu…3 hours ago | molecular
- RT @FEBSJournal: Congratulations to Hanna Karvonen and Sven Lange for winning FEBS J poster prizes at #EMBOpseudo18! https://t.co/I5LkrZwL0b, photo: pic.twitter.com/I5LkrZwL0b3 hours ago | molecular
- RT @NSF: A nasty bacteria, which infects Nasonia wasps, could lend important insight into insect genomes bit.ly/2IWq6lV #NSFfunded…8 hours ago | NSF_BIO
- This week is #DementiaAwarenessWeek Read the @FEBS_Letters Special Issue on Unlocking Nervous System Function throu… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…11 hours ago | molecular
- RT @NSF: You have until 8 pm EDT TONIGHT to view and vote on >200 #science and #engineering videos: bit.ly/2s1fvf2 #STEMvideohall…
- RT @NSF: Red fish, blue fish… A recent study found that the sensory system in fish fins evolves in parallel to fin shape. https://t.co/bmNM…
- RT @CorrieMoreau: Excited to be heading to the Florida Keys tomorrow for fieldwork with our @NSF_BIO Dimensions of Biodiversity turtle ant…
- See you in Prague for the bigger picture on #biochemistry, #molecularbiology, #cellbiology and more at #FEBS_2018?… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…1 day ago | molecular
- Find out more about the application of the Mesolens for subcellular resolution imaging of intact larval and whole a… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…1 day ago | molecular