Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Understanding Science is the Biology Board's Classic Award winner for 2019. This site has a huge variety of resources that present a detailed and accurate portrayal of what science is and how it works. We hope you love it as much we do!
We created an online learning object that aims to promote awareness of the importance of plants in our lives,...
NeMO-Net is a single player iPad game where players help NASA classify coral reefs by painting 3D and 2D images of coral....
En este Lesson plan vamos a aprender sobre los animales y sus características. - Distinguir los animales vertebrados e...
Laboratory Exercises in Microbiology: Discovering the Unseen World Through Hands-On Investigation - Open Textbook Library
The exercises in this laboratory manual are designed to engage students in hands-on activities that reinforce their...
Human Heredity BI 441-541 Spring 2020
This course outlines a focus on genetics related to human inheritance, disease, and medicine. This includes cell...
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Compliance Guideline
The EU General Data Protection Regulation went into effect on May 25, 2018, replacing the Data Protection Directive...
Meta | Expand Your Research
Meta is a free discovery tool that uses machine learning to map biomedical science as it happens—so researchers can...
Phalogenics Male Enhancement
Phalogenics is an online penis exercise program that will help you enlarge penis size, length and girth naturally and...
Aerosol Filtration Efficiency of Common Fabrics Used in Respiratory Cloth Masks
The emergence of a pandemic affecting the respiratory system can result in a significant demand for face masks. This...
Coronavirus Disease Research Community - COVID-19 | Zenodo
Zenodo's Coronavirus Disease Research Community COVID-19 collects research inputs that may be relevant to the Coronavirus...
Individual and state precautions against COVID-19
In the final lesson, we will review what hygiene precautions need to be taken to prevent infection and explain how to use...
The difference between COVID-19 and influenza
In this lesson, we will focus on comparing the COVID-19 pandemic with common influenza, which is similar but has more...
Spread and replication of SARS-CoV-2
In this lesson, we will focus on how viruses spread from host to host, what are the symptoms of the COVID-19 disease and...
What is SARS-CoV-2
In this lesson, we will explain what a virus is, what it consists of, and how the new coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 looks like....
Created in collaboration with Jordan Moberg Parker, UCLA's Director of Undergraduate Laboratory Curriculum and Assessment...
OSF: Coronavirus Outbreak Research Collection
The Center for Open Science (COS) has launched April 23, 2020 in response to the urgent and ongoing need for aggregated...
COVID-19 Data Portal
The aim of the COVID-19 Data Portal is to facillitate data sharing and analysis, and to accelerate coronavirus research....
Respiratory System Animated Rap Song (How And Why We Breathe)
Learn the functions of the respiratory system with this animated music video! See how the respiratory system works with...
MolGenT - online, self-guided Molecular Genetics Tutor
Online, self-guided Molecular Genetics Tutor developed with NSF funding. It is a free resource for students and teachers...
Neural Covidex: COVID-19 AI-Open Data Mining Search Engine
Scientists and researchers can now quickly, freely, and easily search through over 45,000+ scholarly articles, medical...
Human Anatomy Lab Manual
Contents include Anatomical language, Bones and Bone Markings, Spinal Cord and Spinal Nerves, Brain and Cranial Nerves,...
Kaggle: Your Machine Learning and Data Science Community
Kaggle is one of the world’s largest data science communities with powerful tools and resources to help you achieve your...
Data Dryad - Publish and Preserve your Data
The Dryad Digital Repository is a cross-disciplinary, curated resource that makes research data, discoverable, freely...
Harvard Dataverse: Cross-Disciplinary Repository
Harvard Dataverse is a free cross-disciplinary repository open to all researchers from any discipline, both inside and...
Elizabeth JustinDutchess Community/Technical College
Judy Rouse-MillerThe University of the West Indies
Francesca DanesiUniversity of Bologna
Kristi YoungWiley College
Mary BrakkeUniversity of Minnesota - Twin Cities
Lori SpindlerUniversity of Pennsylvania
K WrasmanPikeville College
eliezer toledoAloran Trade High School
Soledad CelejUniversidad Nacional de Córdoba
Maria RivasWest Georgia Technical College
Heidi SchraftLakehead University
Erin QuinlanNC School of Science and Mathematics
Pamela PretoriusHanover College
Melissa DoudIndian River State College
Dilan JimenezUniversidad de Cundinamarca
Vara LakshmiAcharya institute of technology
Madeline ZimmermanMississippi Gulf Coast Community/Technical College
Matthew DomekWeber State University
Mary SlackDouglas County High School
Denise GibsonMoulton College
Caroline odewumiFlorida Agricultural and Mechanical University
Erin JonesClaremont Consortium of Colleges
Tamara FrankNova Southeastern University
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (55)
- Biodiversity (99)
- Biology Education (14)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (27)
- Botany (353)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (565)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (12)
- Development and Embryology (67)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (779)
- Evolutionary Biology (271)
- Genetics (725)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (948)
- Life (132)
- Marine Biology (10)
- Medicine and Health (30)
- Microbiology (431)
- Mycology (5)
- Neuroscience (3)
- Zoology (247)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
- Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education
Biology on the Web
Wild animals behave a lot like humans, explains top biologist
May 30, 2020 03:52 PM PDT
Rachel Kippen, Our Ocean Backyard | Is the world still our oyster?
May 30, 2020 02:56 PM PDT
Demolition of Tinbergen Building makes way for new £201.8M Life and Mind Building
May 30, 2020 02:32 PM PDT
Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) 5-Year Market Share Forecast | Life Sciences and Biology ...
May 30, 2020 02:11 PM PDT
Retiring Greensboro College Faculty Dean Awarded Emeritus Status, Will Have New Teaching ...
May 30, 2020 01:26 PM PDT
Millipede From Scotland Is World's Oldest-Known Land Animal
May 30, 2020 12:18 PM PDT
Global Biological Indicators Market Latest Trends, Development, Growth Analysis And Forecast by ...
May 30, 2020 10:48 AM PDT
May 30, 2020 10:37 AM PDT
New technology helps biologists track down invasive species
May 30, 2020 08:56 AM PDT
Population Biology of Multihost Pathogens - PubMed
May 30, 2020 08:42 AM PDT
Atomic Force Microscope Market Research Report 2019 | Life Sciences and Biology ...
May 30, 2020 08:33 AM PDT
Female Academic Athlete of the Year: Islands senior Meara Kelly finds a way to juggle sports ...
May 30, 2020 08:00 AM PDT
NMSU researchers lead a safe return to campus labs
May 30, 2020 06:18 AM PDT
Trending now: Astragalus Polysaccharide Market Growth Analysis, Opportunities, Trends ...
May 30, 2020 06:16 AM PDT
For the Last 20 Years, College Professor Has Been Helping Intelligent Lab Rats Find Good Homes
May 30, 2020 06:07 AM PDT
COVID – 19 Impact On Global Molecular Biology Analyzers Market 2020 Analysis By Top Players ...
May 30, 2020 05:33 AM PDT
Chinese vaccine could be ready by year-end, government body says
May 30, 2020 05:11 AM PDT
New McKinsey Report Sees A $4 Trillion Gold Rush In This One Hot Sector. Who's Selling Picks ...
May 30, 2020 05:00 AM PDT
COVID-19 Impact ON Biological Safety Testing Market: Future Innovation Ways, Growth & Profit ...
May 30, 2020 04:42 AM PDT
Biology on Twitter
- Read the Frontline Science article from JLB just published #openaccess with #projektDEAL - Low regulatory T cells p… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…49 minutes ago | wileymolecular
- IUBMB seeks a new Editor-in-Chief for IUBMB Life. The candidate should be recognized as a leading member of the bi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…10 hours ago | wileymolecular
- New study on the educational and psychological aspects of diminished school-based support for the management of typ… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…10 hours ago | wileymolecular
- A review of current knowledge on the involvement of secreting soluble pattern recognition receptors (sPRRs) in the… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…13 hours ago | wileymolecular
- Read how gut microbiota alterations affect glioma growth and innate immune cells involved in tumor immunosurveillan… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | wileymolecular
- A cricket with no legs cannot hear - and how this relates to #Anaesthesia. @Anaes_Journal
ow.ly/IRVd50zTRTR https://t.co/bcNt0Hz3BH, photo: pic.twitter.com/bcNt0Hz3BH1 day ago | wileymolecular
- FEBS Journal #EditorsChoice describe the discovery of a novel peroxin, Pex37, in the yeast Hansenula polymorpha and… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 days ago | wileymolecular
- OA review on Developmental regulation of olfactory circuit formation in mice. ow.ly/JaoR50zQcGy https://t.co/iF1jWzlME4, photo: pic.twitter.com/iF1jWzlME4
- Several clinical trials have reported beneficial effects of organic nitrates on bone health @ASBMR via… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Age attenuates the T‐type CaV3.2‐RyR axis in vascular smooth muscle, read the full article published #openaccess wi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…