Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Understanding Science is the Biology Board's Classic Award winner for 2019. This site has a huge variety of resources that present a detailed and accurate portrayal of what science is and how it works. We hope you love it as much we do!
MDPI Books: Open Access Books & Series Library
MDPI Books Library contains 600+ Open Access Books & Series/Open Access Monographs covering subjects in: Bioengineering,...
Open Science by Design: Realizing a Vision for 21st Century Research
The 2019 National Academies report "Open Science by Design: Realizing a Vision for 21st Century Research" discusses the...
This is a customization of the CK-12 Human Biology textbook by Biology Butte for college classes.
Our Human Biology strives to make biology, as a discipline, interesting and accessible to students. In addition to a...
It has always seemed to me that the many parts that make up the subject of biology are related to each other more like...
Biofundamentals™ is an attempt to build a more conceptually coherent, rigorous and engaging introductory course in modern...
Citizen Science: Innovation in Open Science, Society and Policy
Citizen Science: Open Science, Society, and Policy is an excellent review of Citizen Science that brings together some of...
Survey Methods | HHMI BioInteractive
In this interactive, students explore the methods scientists use to survey elephants and learn about the current state of...
Vulnerability Assessment of Soil and Water Loss in Loess Plateau and Its Impact on Farmers’ Soil and Water Conservation Adaptive Behavior
Analyzing vulnerability and adaptation to soil and water loss is an important part of the study on the...
Ecological Niche Space of Fish Communities in Impounded Sections of Large Rivers: Its Application to Assessment of the Impact of Weirs on River Ecosystems
To estimate the impact of weirs on large river fish communities, we applied the ecological niche space (ENS) measured...
Virtual Interactive Bacteriology Laboratory
This resource is a set of virtual, interactive bacteriology labs that were developed to allow the student to learn a...
Exploring Biomass Pyramids | HHMI BioInteractive
This interactive simulation challenges students to describe trophic relationships in an aquatic ecosystem using...
Explore Your Inner Animals | HHMI BioInteractive
This interactive explores different anatomical features of the human body and what they reveal about the evolutionary...
Molecular Structure of Fat | HHMI BioInteractive
This slide show delves into the various molecular shapes that fat can take.
Great Transitions Interactive | HHMI BioInteractive
The evolution of four-limbed animals, or tetrapods, from fish is a dramatic example of one of the great evolutionary...
Virus Explorer | HHMI BioInteractive
This interactive incorporates engaging 3D-models of viruses that students can click on to rotate and view from different...
Using DNA to Trace Human Migration | HHMI BioInteractive
This is an interactive presentation with an accompanying PDF worksheet for use by students.
Using the Scientific Process to Study Human Evolution | HHMI BioInteractive
This interactive presentation allows students to explore how human evolution is studied using a scientific process. An...
How Science Works | HHMI BioInteractive
This interactive is designed to engage students in thinking critically about how science works. They can use the tool to...
Evolution - HHMI BioInteractive
At BioInteractive, you can find award-winning multimedia resources, including apps, animations, videos, interactives, and...
Here you'll find a wealth of resources and information aimed at helping educators bring genetics, bioscience and health...
Welcome to Evolution 101!
What is evolution and how does it work? Evolution 101 provides the nuts-and-bolts on the patterns and mechanisms of...
Human Anatomy Lab Manual
This is a lab manual for a college-level human anatomy course. Mastery of anatomy requires a fair amount of memorization...
Water Distribution Operator I
A water distribution system is nothing more than a network of components designed to deliver water from a source to a...
Nancy DeansCalifornia State University Channel Islands
Donna DiPaoloUniversity of California System
Kerry slaterUniversity of South Africa
Rachel WhitneyNova Scotia Community College
Amanda WrightMarymount University
Dena BergTarrant County College
George AliagaTarrant County College
Tatiana RothCoppin State University
Michelle HernandezPasadena Independant School District
Laura BonettaHoward Hughes Medical Institute
Pradip MisraBagdad High School
Nikolay AnisimovTyumen State University
Amr IbrahimIbrahim, A. G.
Urszula SitarzMcMaster University
Dr. Subash DebBrindaban Govt. College
Katrina Hales-GarciaCalifornia State University Channel Islands
Jacqueline SantiagoCalifornia State University, Long Beach
Sylvia FrazierWoodland High School
Meg O'MahonyOlympiads School, University of Ontario Institute of Technology
Sarah ScanlinEast Aurora District 131
Tim NicholSheffield Hallam University
Brahim CherifEnseignant vacataire
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (10)
- Biodiversity (88)
- Biology Education (7)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (24)
- Botany (290)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (561)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (8)
- Development and Embryology (69)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (775)
- Evolutionary Biology (263)
- General (404)
- Genetics (619)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (930)
- Life (135)
- Marine Biology (5)
- Medicine and Health (16)
- Microbiology (357)
- Mycology (4)
- Zoology (250)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
- Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education
Biology on the Web
Biology on Twitter
- Check out this week's #FoundInMERLOT showcase: Keisan Online Calculator for Math and Science #OER buff.ly/2FzecgD1 day ago | MERLOTorg
- Bioengineering & Translational Medicine just released a new special issue! Read today for free: … twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @WileyGlobal: We're just as pleased! @AnjaKarliczek https://t.co/AE3IOv5OOv, photo: pic.twitter.com/AE3IOv5OOv
- RT @DKFZ: Are you considering a career as a clinician scientist? Apply for a two-year Clinician Scientist Fellowship. Deadline 15th March 2…
- Massive Online Courses Find A New Audience With Continuing Medical Education #MOOC @EdSurge buff.ly/2QSTwkY https://t.co/bQXs7odphP, photo: pic.twitter.com/bQXs7odphP2 days ago | MERLOTorg
- This important review gives an overview of the complex interaction between lncRNAs and cancer immunity Read now!… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @WileySocieties: What are members beyond academia looking for? ow.ly/NW3a30nhkgz https://t.co/kaCIjwGXTs, photo: pic.twitter.com/kaCIjwGXTs
- RT @MolOncology: Read Joanne Weidhaas' review on #polymorphisms in #microRNA-binding sites as #cancer #biomarkers in our latest issue! htt…
- RT @MolSystBiol: L Rappez from @alexandrovteam @thalexandrov @embl SpaceM: method for in situ spatial single-cell #metabolomics, linking #s…
- Survey: Online, Blended Dominate Today’s Learning Environments #blendedlearning @Campus_Tech buff.ly/2FDLrP1 https://t.co/ezalgdcggI, photo: pic.twitter.com/ezalgdcggI3 days ago | MERLOTorg