Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Understanding Science is the Biology Board's Classic Award winner for 2019. This site has a huge variety of resources that present a detailed and accurate portrayal of what science is and how it works. We hope you love it as much we do!
Advances in Aspergillus fumigatus Pathobiology
Aspergillus fumigatus is a human fungal pathogen that causes invasive aspergillosis (IA), a major infectious cause of...
Advances and Trends in Development of Plant Factories
The plant factory is a facility that aids the steady production of high-quality vegetables all year round by artificially...
Interactive Modeling of Biological Networks | Cell Collective
Cell Collective is an interactive, open and collaborative modeling platform for Biological Networks for researchers,...
Actinobacteria in special and extreme habitats: diversity, function roles and environmental adaptations
Actinobacteria are highly diverse prokaryotes that are ubiquitous in soil, freshwater and marine ecosystems. Although...
About The Foodborne Pathogen Campylobacter
Campylobacter has emerged as the leading cause of bacterial foodborne disease worldwide with a significant impact on...
Concepts Of Biology
Concepts of Biology is designed for the typical introductory biology course for nonmajors, covering standard scope and...
BIOL S401 Contemporary Biology Development (Free Courseware)
This course is mainly presented in printed format and comprises five study units. Each unit contains study content,...
Conservation and Biodiversity
This is a short book/course module that contains cases about Biodiversity in Hong Kong. It could be classified as a...
Applied ecology is a framework for the application of knowledge about ecosystems so that actions can be taken to create a...
Biology for Non-Majors I
Biology for Non-Majors I introduces students to the basics of the scientific process, the chemical foundations of life,...
Anatomy and Physiology
Anatomy and Physiology is a dynamic textbook for the two-semester human anatomy and physiology course for life science...
Human Anatomy Lab Manual
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN TO DO: Describe and identify the anatomical position and locate major organs.
Anatomy & Physiology
Many people have compared the human body to a machine. Think about some common machines, such as drills and washing...
Human Anatomy OER - Lab Manual
This is a laboratory manual designed by Skyline College to be used in Biology 250, Human Anatomy.
The National Library of Medicine's Visible Human Project
The National Library of Medicine Visable Humnan Project offers publicly-available complete, anatomically detailed,...
Project Open Anatomy Learning Materials
Project Open Anatomy Learning Materials provides content regarding human anatomy.
The Human Brain
This website offers views, details, histology, MRI, 3D Rendering, and movies regarding the human brain.
DNA Learning Center
This website offers an interactive look at how DNA can be transferred between organisms by using bacterial plasmids. It...
The Carbon Cycle | UCAR Center for Science Education
This website gives help to show the way and process that the carbon cycle functions. It is an easy way for students to...
Secondary Metabolites in Plants
This website describes secondary metabolites in plants and their role. It contains a list of metabolite classes with...
CRISPR gene-editing systems 3D animation
Scientifically accurate 3D animation on CRISPR gene-editing systems with real molecular structures
Identifying Plant Nutrient Deficiencies – Grow Real Food | Living An Organic, Non-GMO Real Food Life!
This website helps others to understand the guidlines about plant deficiency and how to identify the problem. The website...
Riparian Life Zones Plants and Trees
This is a great site for learning about the riparian life zones of Colorado. It does a good job of explaining what types...
How can you eat dairy if you lack the gene for digesting it? Fermented milk may be key, ancient Mongolian study suggests
Lactose is a key sugar found in milk, which many of the Asian community cannot digest. Recently, DNA analysis of the...
Wendi RussacNorthwest Association of Biomedical Research
Andrea ThurmesBig Lake High School
Hana McMahon-ColeUniversity of Nebraska System - Lincoln
Mark KyleUrsuline College
Meriam VizcaynoDepartment of Education
Jane KimCalifornia State University, San Marcos
Brianna WalshPoint Loma Nazarene College
Heather ThulinKern High School District
Raquel TingTexas State Technical College System
Jennifer CarrSalem State College
Lynn FletcherSalem State College
Karl PruittLawson State Community/Technical College
Alvaro GomezIntitucion Educativa Municipal Winnipeg
emine demirEnglish Modern School
Cody RussellCalifornia State University, Northridge
Sarah IversonWeber State University
Yulu Cherry LiuHarvard University
TJ SullivanIndiana University System - Indiana University-Kokomo
Cathleen HartneyFort Lewis College
Iris HenryRiver Parishes Community College
Marco MontiUniversity of Manchester
Cinnamon FrameResearch Triangle High School, Opportunity Learning
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (14)
- Biodiversity (90)
- Biology Education (7)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (24)
- Botany (308)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (564)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (8)
- Development and Embryology (70)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (781)
- Evolutionary Biology (265)
- General (399)
- Genetics (620)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (945)
- Life (134)
- Marine Biology (6)
- Medicine and Health (18)
- Microbiology (363)
- Mycology (4)
- Neuroscience (1)
- Zoology (250)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
- Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education
Biology on the Web
Global Isomalto-Oligosaccharide Market 2019 – Meiji Co., Ltd., BioNeutra, Baolingbao Biology ...
Jun 18, 2019 10:26 PM PDT
Jun 18, 2019 10:03 PM PDT
Track Officials Called Caster Semenya 'Biologically Male,' Newly Released Documents Show
Jun 18, 2019 05:45 PM PDT
Assistant Professor of Biology (Biomedical Sciences)
Jun 18, 2019 05:00 PM PDT
Global Synthetic Biology Platforms Market Will Accelerate Rapidly with Excellent CAGR of 20.01 ...
Jun 18, 2019 04:52 PM PDT
IAAF Claimed Olympian Caster Semenya Was 'Biologically Male' in Court Battle
Jun 18, 2019 03:46 PM PDT
How female reproduction, longevity could be linked is focus of new Buck Institute for Research on ...
Jun 18, 2019 03:18 PM PDT
Scientists challenge notion of binary sexuality with naming of new plant species
Jun 18, 2019 03:07 PM PDT
Sea otters have low genetic diversity like endangered species, biologists report
Jun 18, 2019 02:45 PM PDT
Biology graduate has article published with faculty member Patterson
Jun 18, 2019 02:22 PM PDT
An immunologist and a bioengineer are named 2019 Pew Scholars
Jun 18, 2019 02:00 PM PDT
Powerlifting Organization Defends Ban on Biological Males Competing Against Women
Jun 18, 2019 01:15 PM PDT
Study Provides New Insights into Biology of 'Satiety Hormone' Leptin
Jun 18, 2019 12:30 PM PDT
Beth Hagen '01 and Jesse King '06
Jun 18, 2019 12:18 PM PDT
Size matters: New data reveals cell size sparks genome awakening in embryos
Jun 18, 2019 11:45 AM PDT
Sea otters have low genetic diversity like other threatened species, biologists report
Jun 18, 2019 11:11 AM PDT
Philosophy of Biology: Seizing an opportunity
Jun 18, 2019 10:30 AM PDT
Molecular Biology Enzyme Market Analysis by Key Players, Size, Competitive Analysis, Global and ...
Jun 18, 2019 10:26 AM PDT
Biology on Twitter
- buff.ly/2IQGMJM15 hours ago | MERLOTorg
- Need Criminal Justice OER? Check these out! buff.ly/2GYai0e
#OER #FoundInMERLOT #CriminalJustice https://t.co/z9bZt1LTko, photo: pic.twitter.com/z9bZt1LTko17 hours ago | MERLOTorg
- RT @yangyingnk: Good news! Our article "Stimuli-Responsive Polymeric Nanoparticles" was downloaded enough to be a #Top20Article published o…21 hours ago | wileymolecular
- Have you just published your paper? Help it reach its potential with this guide from @FEBSLetters… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | wileymolecular
- Read new research on (Non-)donor demographics and donation willingness from the June issue of Transfusion here!… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | wileymolecular
- It's the birthday of #BarbaraMcClintock, a plant geneticist who discovered transposable elements, or “jumping genes… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 days ago | NSF_BIO
- Read the Editor’s Choice article from the June issue of Journal of Clinical Pharmacology here! @ACCP1_org… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 days ago | wileymolecular
- Don't miss out! NeuroNex deadline for pre-proposals is June 14 -- TOMORROW! More information:… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 days ago | NSF_BIO
- RT @ASUgreen: How do drought, soil predators & climate change connect?
#SustyScientist Osvaldo Sala of @DrylandsASU was PI of a team to in…5 days ago | NSF_BIO
- Discover the early view research which investigated the associations between Hib vaccination and child anthropometr… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 days ago | wileymolecular