Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Understanding Science is the Biology Board's Classic Award winner for 2019. This site has a huge variety of resources that present a detailed and accurate portrayal of what science is and how it works. We hope you love it as much we do!
From Growing to Biology: Plants 1e
Ready to find out how plants are grown and function? Take a fantastic voyage through plants. From Growing to Biology:...
Protein Drug Discovery & Development
This is a slightly modified version of the lecture "Protein Drug Discovery & Development", which I gave on 2020-09-09 for...
Physiopedia - Improving global health through universal access to physiotherapy knowledge
A large collection of physiotherapy resources and reference material, including a physiotherapy wiki with a specific...
General Biology Labs
A series of Lab Exercises for Gen. Bio
New Ebola Outbreak Suggests The Virus Might Lurk For Years Inside People
This time last month, national authorities in the African nation of Guinea declared they were dealing with an outbreak of...
Machine Learning Tokyo
Machine Learning Tokyo (MLT) is dedicated to democratizing Machine Learning through Open Education, Open Source and Open...
CDC LabTraining Virtual Reality Series: Biosafety Cabinet Edition
This course enables learners to apply knowledge and practice setting up a biosafety cabinet (also known as a biological...
Extracting DNA from Fruit
All living things have DNA. This hands-on activity will enable you to extract DNA from fruit, such as strawberries, using...
How did dogs get to the Americas?
This is a scientific paper that details with fossil dated remains of domesticated dogs in the Americas.
Farming Fish on the Moon Could Feed Astronauts
The eggs of two fish species survived Russia's Soyuz spacecraft's launch conditions. Get the details here.
BioNetwork’s Virtual Microscope is the first fully interactive 3D scope - it’s a great practice tool to prepare you for...
Main Page - Proteopedia, life in 3D
Proteopedia presents the 3D structure & function of biomacromolecules, including the basics of protein structure,...
Ecology: Population Growth/Croissance des populations
Ecology: Population Growth is a Canadian adaptation of Connecting Concepts: Interactive Lessons in Biology by Robert...
A free online platform for science education from Harvard University
A Mixed Course-Based Research Approach to Human Physiology – Simple Book Publishing
The Biology 256 Fundamentals of Human Physiology Laboratory course was designed to provide students with hands-on access...
Simulator of a Laboratory of Biotechnology
This is a free Simulator of a Laboratory of Biotechnology designed to help you learn three basic methods of molecular...
Introduction to Environmental Science, 2nd Edition
This course uses the basic principles of biology and earth science as a context for understanding environmental policies...
Fundamentals of Cell Biology
This book is a study of cell structure and function at the cellular, subcellular and molecular levels. Upon completion of...
SARS-CoV-2 spike protein mutations
UK and South African mutant lineages of COVID-19 have increased contagion. The locations of these mutations in the spike...
The Undergraduate Student’s Guide to Geometric Morphometrics
A student guide that begins your journey with geometric morphometrics. Students with some experience with R, statistics,...
WVU Rockefeller Neuroscience Institute | Better Healthcare for West Virginia and Beyond.
WE ARE IMPROVING LIVES BY PIONEERING ADVANCES IN BRAIN HEALTH. With the latest technologies, an ecosystem of partners,...
Litter to glitter: releasing the herbaceous groundlayer potential stored in oak forest floors -
By Dr. Andrew Vander Yacht, Michigan State University Presented on December 8, 2020 In oak-dominated communities...
Welcome to Learn Medical Neuroscience - Learn Medical Neuroscience
Learn Medical Neuroscience. A site to support learning in Medical Neuroscience, Neuroanatomy and Neurology. Full of links...
Melody SchmidButte College
Kritika PershadOakton Community/Technical College
Marco IbarraUniversidad Autónoma del Estado de Morelos
Suzanne PassStoke on Trent college
Marie Johanna CuadraMindanao State University
Sophie EvansStoke on Trent college
adam barrFulton-Montgomery Community/Technical College
lynn ocorrFinger Lakes Community/Technical College
Devon DealFranklin High School
Payton FowlerHouston Academy
Roxanna AbrinesUniversity of California System - Los Angeles
Paul PressIT Sligo
Katsuhiro KitaMercy College
LUISA MARTINLUISA MARTIN
Maureen McGarrityHoly Family University
Lee FletcherBiodiversity and Environmental Education Society
Emilee Blair HoltonOld Dominion University
Nathan AhlgrimCatawba Valley Community/Technical College
Rawan AbdelaalState University of New York System - Albany
Tanya FoucheUniversity of South Africa
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (64)
- Biodiversity (98)
- Biology Education (18)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (33)
- Botany (354)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (567)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (13)
- Development and Embryology (66)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (785)
- Evolutionary Biology (275)
- Genetics (729)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (949)
- Life (133)
- Marine Biology (12)
- Medicine and Health (37)
- Microbiology (434)
- Mycology (6)
- Neuroscience (5)
- Zoology (251)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
- Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education
Biology on the Web
Apr 16, 2021 06:52 AM PDT
In memoriam: Kenyon S. Tweedell, professor emeritus of biology
Apr 16, 2021 06:18 AM PDT
Digital Biology Market is Booming Worldwide | Global Forecasts Analysis, Company Profiles, and ...
Apr 16, 2021 06:07 AM PDT
Spatial biology company Akoya Biosciences prices IPO at $20 high end
Apr 16, 2021 05:22 AM PDT
New business coalition to support synthetic biology industry in US
Apr 16, 2021 05:00 AM PDT
Journal of Experimental Biology | The Company of Biologists
Apr 16, 2021 04:30 AM PDT
Molecular Biology Analyzers Market Potential Prospects during the Forecast Period 2020 – 2027 ...
Apr 16, 2021 04:26 AM PDT
Molecular Biology Kits and Reagent Market Growth indicate an Explosive Growth with Key Players ...
Apr 16, 2021 04:01 AM PDT
Global Molecular Biology Reagents Market 2021 Industry Trends – Analytik Jena, Randox, Bio ...
Apr 16, 2021 12:52 AM PDT
Inspiring Students Through Research Opportunities
Apr 16, 2021 12:07 AM PDT
Computational Biology Market Report 2020 Identifies Underlying Industry Trends Helping the Key ...
Apr 15, 2021 11:52 PM PDT
Global Meso-Erythritol Market 2020 Latest Trends – Cargill, Baolingbao Biology, Mitsubishi ...
Apr 15, 2021 10:34 PM PDT
EXCLUSIVE Sinopharm to inject $4.6 bln vaccine assets into unit Tiantan Biological -sources
Apr 15, 2021 10:15 PM PDT
Postdoctoral Position, Molecular Biology, Translational Science, Penn State University job with ...
Apr 15, 2021 10:09 PM PDT
Computational Biology Software Market Consumption Analysis by Key Regions and Players ...
Apr 15, 2021 07:37 PM PDT
Global Molecular Biology Enzymes and Kits & Reagents Industry Market Report 2020, Forecast Till ...
Apr 15, 2021 06:52 PM PDT
Romain Madelaine, Ph.D. – MDI Biological Laboratory
Apr 15, 2021 04:57 PM PDT
CUNY names Patricia Ramsey president of Medgar Evers College
Apr 15, 2021 04:48 PM PDT
Biology MS, Coursework & Capstone | School of Life Sciences
Apr 15, 2021 03:54 PM PDT
New Snail Species Discovered in Montenegro
Apr 15, 2021 03:41 PM PDT
Biology on Twitter
- RT @ThePhySoc: Our 'Diversity and Inclusion: Creating our Roadmap for Change' event has started!
"My whole time in academia, I had this n…33 minutes ago | wileymolecular
- Congratulations @DrChrisHolland @JelenaRnjak Keiji Numata & F. Philipp Seib! 👏
twitter.com/JelenaRnjak/st…33 minutes ago | wileymolecular
- Researchers compare apples to apples in this new Molecular Nutrition & Food Research paper. 🍏🍎
The #AppleCOR study… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | wileymolecular
- RT @wileyinresearch: #InspiringMind @SunshineMenezes rethought her traditional research path and now is building a more inclusive future fo…2 hours ago | wileymolecular
- Don’t miss the 2-part session on #fluorescence microscopy on April 20, at the Wiley Analytical Science Virtual Conf… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | wileymolecular
- Congratulations @justin_sprick @CARickardsPhD & team! Great news. twitter.com/CARickardsPhD/…6 hours ago | wileymolecular
- RT @GeneticCouns: In honor of #NationalMinorityHealthMonth, we encourage you to explore the @wileymolecular JOGC Special Issue, Minority an…6 hours ago | wileymolecular
- Join a cohort of like-minded #leaders to adopt campus-level #OER initiative supported by #industry recognized OER e… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…23 hours ago | MERLOTorg
- Check out this Editor's Choice article from Human Mutation: Lung‐specific distant enhancer cis regulates expression… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | wileymolecular
- This review contends that live unattenuated #vaccines could be powerful in the fight against the #COVID19 pandemic… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | wileymolecular