Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Understanding Science is the Biology Board's Classic Award winner for 2019. This site has a huge variety of resources that present a detailed and accurate portrayal of what science is and how it works. We hope you love it as much we do!
Identifying Noxious Weeds of Ohio
Noxious weeds are especially problematic weeds. They possess one or more of the following attributes: • Aggressive...
Environmental ScienceBites Volume 2
This book was written by undergraduate students who were enrolled in the course “Introduction to Environmental Science”,...
Phylogenetic Comparative Methods
Evolution is happening all around us. In many cases – lately, due to technological advances in molecular biology –...
Explore Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Genetics | Innerbody
Welcome to Innerbody.com, a free educational resource for learning about human anatomy and physiology. Explore the...
MicrobeWiki is a free wiki resource on microbes and microbiology, authored by students at many colleges and universities.
Principles of Biology
This textbook is designed specifically for Kansas State's Biology 198 Class. The course is taught using the studio...
Fostering Research Integrity: The Hong Kong Manifesto for Assessing Researchers
The Hong Kong Manifesto for Assessing Researchers: Fostering Research Integrity (22nd May 2019 version/6th World...
Advances in Aspergillus fumigatus Pathobiology
Aspergillus fumigatus is a human fungal pathogen that causes invasive aspergillosis (IA), a major infectious cause of...
Advances and Trends in Development of Plant Factories
The plant factory is a facility that aids the steady production of high-quality vegetables all year round by artificially...
Interactive Modeling of Biological Networks | Cell Collective
Cell Collective is an interactive, open and collaborative modeling platform for Biological Networks for researchers,...
Actinobacteria in special and extreme habitats: diversity, function roles and environmental adaptations
Actinobacteria are highly diverse prokaryotes that are ubiquitous in soil, freshwater and marine ecosystems. Although...
About The Foodborne Pathogen Campylobacter
Campylobacter has emerged as the leading cause of bacterial foodborne disease worldwide with a significant impact on...
Concepts Of Biology
Concepts of Biology is designed for the typical introductory biology course for nonmajors, covering standard scope and...
BIOL S401 Contemporary Biology Development (Free Courseware)
This course is mainly presented in printed format and comprises five study units. Each unit contains study content,...
Conservation and Biodiversity
This is a short book/course module that contains cases about Biodiversity in Hong Kong. It could be classified as a...
Applied ecology is a framework for the application of knowledge about ecosystems so that actions can be taken to create a...
Biology for Non-Majors I
Biology for Non-Majors I introduces students to the basics of the scientific process, the chemical foundations of life,...
Anatomy and Physiology
Anatomy and Physiology is a dynamic textbook for the two-semester human anatomy and physiology course for life science...
Human Anatomy Lab Manual
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN TO DO: Describe and identify the anatomical position and locate major organs.
Anatomy & Physiology
Many people have compared the human body to a machine. Think about some common machines, such as drills and washing...
Human Anatomy OER - Lab Manual
This is a laboratory manual designed by Skyline College to be used in Biology 250, Human Anatomy.
The National Library of Medicine's Visible Human Project
The National Library of Medicine Visable Humnan Project offers publicly-available complete, anatomically detailed,...
Project Open Anatomy Learning Materials
Project Open Anatomy Learning Materials provides content regarding human anatomy.
The Human Brain
This website offers views, details, histology, MRI, 3D Rendering, and movies regarding the human brain.
Pei Yi YapManagement and Science University (MSU)
Ahmad AdamsUniversity System of Georgia - Fort Valley State University
Jeanne KagleMansfield University of Pennsylvania
MariVi Tejada-SimonUniversity of Houston System - main campus
Robert MckayBridge House College
Madrienne ShamleyOld Dominion University
Prince Tshobolo dikaUNIKIN
Madeleynne CastilloUNIVERSIDAD TECNOLOGICA DE CHILE INACAP
Wendi RussacNorthwest Association of Biomedical Research
Andrea ThurmesBig Lake High School
Hana McMahon-ColeUniversity of Nebraska System - Lincoln
Mark KyleUrsuline College
Meriam VizcaynoDepartment of Education
Jane KimCalifornia State University, San Marcos
Brianna WalshPoint Loma Nazarene College
Heather ThulinKern High School District
Raquel TingTexas State Technical College System
Jennifer CarrSalem State College
Lynn FletcherSalem State College
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (14)
- Biodiversity (90)
- Biology Education (7)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (24)
- Botany (309)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (563)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (8)
- Development and Embryology (70)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (782)
- Evolutionary Biology (263)
- General (399)
- Genetics (619)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (944)
- Life (134)
- Marine Biology (6)
- Medicine and Health (18)
- Microbiology (364)
- Mycology (4)
- Neuroscience (1)
- Zoology (250)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
- Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education
Biology on the Web
How chemical-sensing plants may help secure a safe, healthy future
Jul 17, 2019 01:48 AM PDT
These 37 synthetic biology companies raised $1.2B this quarter
Jul 17, 2019 01:15 AM PDT
Global Cellulite Reduction Devices Market 2019 – Syneron Candela, Beijing KES Biology, LPG ...
Jul 17, 2019 01:01 AM PDT
Meet The Startup Revolutionizing The Language Of Biology
Jul 16, 2019 11:22 PM PDT
Dissection practices & disposal of dissected and unused biological specimens
Jul 16, 2019 08:45 PM PDT
Neurons and cancer cells are a dangerous duo
Jul 16, 2019 06:41 PM PDT
Jul 16, 2019 05:51 PM PDT
Western Illinois receives grant for bobcat research
Jul 16, 2019 05:45 PM PDT
Is Physics Dead?
Jul 16, 2019 04:15 PM PDT
Table of Contents
Jul 16, 2019 03:59 PM PDT
Protein design 101: An introduction to protein design for synthetic biology – with Alexandre ...
Jul 16, 2019 03:52 PM PDT
WILD about Bears workshop to teach teachers about bear biology
Jul 16, 2019 03:41 PM PDT
Dream job: Combining science and illustration
Jul 16, 2019 02:56 PM PDT
An American Scientist Found Dead In Greece May Have Been Raped By Her Attacker
Jul 16, 2019 02:33 PM PDT
A new tool for data scientists and biologists and more
Jul 16, 2019 02:22 PM PDT
Jul 16, 2019 01:53 PM PDT
At STEM Competitions, Gender Norms Still Hold Girls Back
Jul 16, 2019 01:48 PM PDT
Synthetic Biology Market Size, Share, Trend & Growth Forecast to 2025
Jul 16, 2019 01:03 PM PDT
posdoctoral position in chemical biology
Jul 16, 2019 12:42 PM PDT
American scientist killed in Greece by man who raped her and left her in a cave, police say
Jul 16, 2019 11:11 AM PDT
Biology on Twitter
- Looking for Fire Safety OER? Try these! buff.ly/2vzJMUx
#OER #FoundInMERLOT #FireSafety https://t.co/UTL4oE7CZN, photo: pic.twitter.com/UTL4oE7CZN20 hours ago | MERLOTorg
- RT @USBrainAlliance: Be sure to catch this inspiring documentary featuring numerous BRAIN Initiative grantees twitter.com/ChenInstitute/…21 hours ago | NSF_BIO
- RT @TangSindy: unofficial hitchhiker's guide to cellular engineering ... day 1 of CCC summer course! @lab_tang @c3STC @NSF_BIO #NSFfunded h…21 hours ago | NSF_BIO
- NASA will make their media library publicly accessible and copyright free! buff.ly/2OsV2hf1 day ago | MERLOTorg
- RT @Laughlin_DC: Interested in discovering how traits determine fitness of perennial plants? I am recruiting a PhD student to join our @NSF…1 day ago | NSF_BIO
- RT @c3STC: Our @c3stc Summer #cellularengineering course kicks off today @SFSU with students and instructors from @SFSU, @UCSF, @Stanford,…1 day ago | NSF_BIO
- Oregon's estimated 2017-19 Student Savings in No-Cost/Low-Cost Courses buff.ly/2LdCgZe1 day ago | MERLOTorg
- Microsoft To Erase E-Books buff.ly/2LLeLWW https://t.co/tl9v9rXgN8, photo: pic.twitter.com/tl9v9rXgN84 days ago | MERLOTorg
- RT @RioFluss: I am looking for a master's student to work on stream metabolism in coastal Texas streams as part of larger collaborative pro…4 days ago | NSF_BIO
- RT @IEEEBrain: Don't forget, the @IEEEBrain #Neurotech #Entrepreneurship Bootcamp is now accepting applications from Masters, PhDs, post-do…4 days ago | NSF_BIO