Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Understanding Science is the Biology Board's Classic Award winner for 2019. This site has a huge variety of resources that present a detailed and accurate portrayal of what science is and how it works. We hope you love it as much we do!
Biology4Kids.com: Cell Structure: Chloroplasts
This is a simple presentation overview for students to learn about the function and its process about chloroplast by...
Photosynthesis and Respiration
This a good website that illustrates how to learn the similarities and differences between photosynthesis and cellular...
AI4All: AI Education for Everyone
AI4All Open Learning Platform (Launching 2019) is a free, accessible, online AI curriculum meant for understanding how AI...
Identification of Conservation Measures of Endangered Plant Species
This is an article that describes some methods researchers use to identify factors responsible for degrading habitats...
Wound Healing Potential of Biofield Energy Treatment in HaCaT Cell Line Using Scratch Assay
Wounds may be acute, subacute, or chronic and are the common clinical life entities. It is a complex biochemical process...
Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization
While some may and some may not believe in Bigfoot, there is some research to support the existence of such a creature. ...
Wildflowers of the United States
This is an excellent searchable database for finding pictures and descriptions of wildflowers in the United States. ...
Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation
This is a great site for Oklahoma wildlife. This main site includes a Field Guide...
Impact of the Trivedi Effect®-Energy of Consciousness Healing on Growth and Yield of the Plant Stem Cells Culture
The objective of the present study was to evaluate the effect of Biofield Energy Healing Treatment on the plant callus of...
An Online Examination of Human Anatomy and Physiology
Get body smart is an amazing free website that helps with the learning of anatomy and physiology in an enjoyable and...
Evaluation of The Trivedi Effect® - Consciousness Energy Healing Treatment on the Growth and Yield of Plant Stem Cells
This study investigated the effect of the Consciousness Energy Healing (The Trivedi Effect®) Treatment on the plant stem...
International Journal of Open Educational Resources
The International Journal of Open Educational Resources (IJOER) is a bi-annual, open access, double-blind peer-reviewed...
Respiration and Photosynthesis Animation
This is a well-made animation that would greatly benefit high school students and lower division college students. It...
KScience - Animations
This is a good site that provides all sorts of animations related to molecular biology of plants and animals, such as...
Photosynthesis and Respiration in Leaves
This is an exciting site that provides all sorts of animations about photosynthesis and cellular respiration. The...
Plant Physiology Animations
This is a great site that includes animated gifs of topics in plant physiology such as photosythesis, circadian rhythms,...
MDPI Books: Open Access Books & Series Library
MDPI Books Library contains 600+ Open Access Books & Series/Open Access Monographs covering subjects in: Bioengineering,...
Open Science by Design: Realizing a Vision for 21st Century Research
The 2019 National Academies report "Open Science by Design: Realizing a Vision for 21st Century Research" discusses the...
This is a customization of the CK-12 Human Biology textbook by Biology Butte for college classes.
Our Human Biology strives to make biology, as a discipline, interesting and accessible to students. In addition to a...
It has always seemed to me that the many parts that make up the subject of biology are related to each other more like...
Biofundamentals™ is an attempt to build a more conceptually coherent, rigorous and engaging introductory course in modern...
Citizen Science: Innovation in Open Science, Society and Policy
Citizen Science: Open Science, Society, and Policy is an excellent review of Citizen Science that brings together some of...
Survey Methods | HHMI BioInteractive
In this interactive, students explore the methods scientists use to survey elephants and learn about the current state of...
itamar ofnerTel-Aviv University
xiaofei WangTennessee State University
Mohamed AwadXavier University of Louisiana
Marcella HackneyBaton Rouge Community College
Orlando GonzalezUniversity of Puerto Rico at Bayamon
Kathleen SpicerNokomis Regional High School
Peter DevaneLa Salle Paterna
Yulian GolodnykhCourse Hero
April RinkerDabney S. Lancaster Community/Technical College
Ashley HooperWillsboro Central School Distrist
Erin O'BrienDixie State College
justice tresor Ngom NgomUniversity of Douala
Olusegun AdesinaKwara state University, Malete, Kwara State
Sandra GarverSan Diego State University
Phuoc HoSouthwest Tennessee Community College
HEIDY YELNI DIAZ OVIEDOuniversidad veracruzana
Brunno CâmaraAsgard cursos
Dustin StuttsRoane State Community College
Kathleen DeKreyUniversity of Saint Mary
Kara NussNortheastern Illinois University
Nancy DeansCalifornia State University Channel Islands
Donna DiPaoloUniversity of California System
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (10)
- Biodiversity (88)
- Biology Education (7)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (24)
- Botany (294)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (560)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (8)
- Development and Embryology (69)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (775)
- Evolutionary Biology (263)
- General (396)
- Genetics (618)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (927)
- Life (135)
- Marine Biology (5)
- Medicine and Health (16)
- Microbiology (356)
- Mycology (4)
- Zoology (251)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
- Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education
Biology on the Web
Biology on Twitter
- Help your research support global change - Download free book content ow.ly/Tr3Q50lNgE6 https://t.co/Oy7FBnKHMs, photo: pic.twitter.com/Oy7FBnKHMs42 minutes ago | wileymolecular
- New interdisciplinary collection celebrating increasing collaboration between @britsocimm & @BiochemSoc. Free onlin… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | wileymolecular
- RT @NEON_sci: Looking for an #ecology #fieldwork #job & sunrises like this? Our D09: Northern Plains office in Jamestown, #NorthDakota has…
- RT @USLTER: 1/2 "I really love the Niwot Ridge LTER's #limnology (lake science) program because it contains such a rare long record of moun…
- RT @NEON_sci: Let us come to you. Apply for this #NSFfunded opportunity to host an Explore NEON workshop which will give participants an in…
- Online Learning's 'Greatest Hits' #LMS #MOOC @EdSurge buff.ly/2Ni2nwn https://t.co/LBJnx4643b, photo: pic.twitter.com/LBJnx4643b23 hours ago | MERLOTorg
- Are you excited about the #ASCPT2019 meeting? Get involved by entering the #FutureOfClinPharm contest here:… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…23 hours ago | wileymolecular
- RT @NSF_GEO: Having a #snowday? Looking for some #winter reading? Try this new tale of the tortoise and the hare. In Alaska's far north, it…1 day ago | NSF_BIO
- Latest #MCB blog offers tips for panel reviewers who play an important part in its merit review process bit.ly/2GBwJJY1 day ago | NSF_BIO
- Have you read the latest issue of Clinical and Translational Science yet? Read it here: ow.ly/AAd550lEFh2 https://t.co/L56S9NgY2C, photo: pic.twitter.com/L56S9NgY2C1 day ago | wileymolecular