Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Understanding Science is the Biology Board's Classic Award winner for 2019. This site has a huge variety of resources that present a detailed and accurate portrayal of what science is and how it works. We hope you love it as much we do!
Human Biology Lab Manual
Human Biology Lab Manual
Phenomena Found in Agriculture - Middle School Ecosystem Dynamics and Interactions Unit
What do Prairie Chickens Need in Order to Survive Today's Prairie? This middle school unit covering ecosystems, animal...
Phenomena Found in Agriculture - High School Genetics and Heredity Unit
How can we Design Cattle to Better Meet Human Needs? In this high school Storyline unit on genetics and heredity,...
“Bad Breath”: An integrated case study of alcoholic liver disease for first year medical students.
Alcoholic liver disease represents a timeless teaching opportunity for health professional students. Due to the...
Recharging and rejuvenation of decontaminated N95 masks
Physics of Fluids 32, 093304 (2020); https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0023940 Abstract N95 respirators comprise a critical part...
Jim Allison: Breakthrough (film) and Educator Toolkit
Educators can use the toolkit as a whole or borrow pieces to meet their unique learning objectives and circumstances. You...
DK Find Out! | Fun Facts for Kids on Animals, Earth, History and more!
Visit DK Find Out! to learn about dinosaurs, space, animals, nature & more. Fun learning activities for kids with videos,...
Online Resources for Science Laboratories (POD) - Remote Teaching
Online Resources for Science Laboratories (POD) - Remote Teaching. This is a live document. For many subjects and...
Open Scholarship Knowledge Base
The Open Scholarship Knowledge Base contains resources created, curated, and contributed by the Open Scholarship...
Human Anatomy Laboratory Manual, 2020
This human anatomy laboratory manual acts as a textbook for undergraduate human anatomy courses. Each chapter has review...
SARS-CoV-2 spike protein fusion transformation
This tutorial explains the transformation of the coronavirus spike protein that pulls the virus membrane into contact...
SARS-CoV-2 spike protein priming by furin
This tutorial explains the structure of the spike protein, accompanied by interactive animations of structures determined...
Open at the Margins: Critical Perspectives on Open Education
Open At The Margins: Critical Perspectives on Open Education is a pertinent book on Open Education, "containing 38...
Changing Recommendations about How to Reduce Your Risk of Coronavirus Infection – What is the evidence?
In this analysis and discussion activity, students learn about the scientific basis of recommendations to reduce the...
Coronaviruses – What They Are and How They Can Make You Sick
This analysis and discussion activity introduces students to the novel coronavirus. Students learn how coronaviruses...
Where did the new coronavirus come from?
In this analysis and discussion activity, students explore the main hypotheses about the origins of the new coronavirus...
Ecosystem Simulator - Aggressive and Passive Creatures
An ecosystem simulator that demonstrates the balance between a creature with an aggressive behavior pattern and a passive...
Minds-on Activities for Teaching Biology
The resources include minds-on, hands-on activities and remote ready minds-on analysis and discussion activities for...
Lactase Enzyme Simulation - Jon Darkow
Teach system dynamics of biology and ecology phenomena.The goal of this simulation is to understand three factors that...
Evo-Ed: Cases for Effective Evolution Education
Case studies that track the evolution of traits from their origination in DNA mutation, to the production of different...
JOGO DIGITAL ADAPTADO AO TEMA ÁGUA NO ENSINO DE CIÊNCIAS PARA ALUNOS DE UM ESCOLA PÚBLICA DA REGIÃO METROPOLITANA DE BELÉM-PA
Os recursos tecnológicos educacionais têm sido amplamente usados como uma importante estratégia educativa para promover...
Строение одноклеточных животных
Цель: Изучить строение представителей подцарства Простейшие – амёбы и инфузории-туфельки. Ход работы: 1. Выбрать объект...
CryoVR is a virtual reality training application designed for CryoEM field
Major Histocompatibility Complex MHC Protein Structure and Function
Video Tutorial with Quiz & open-ended questions: Major Histocompatibility Complex (MHC) molecular structure and how it...
Rachna PachoriAmity International School
Teresa Van BovenCalgary school board
Sharron DolanGlasgow Caledonian University
Wes Colgan IIINorthern New Mexico Community/Technical College
DeMarcus WoolforkMedical University of South Carolina
Stacey WarnerCalifornia State University, Los Angeles
Kristina SchierenbeckCalifornia State University, Chico
Meredith EcksteinGeorgetown College
Helen ButlerMedical University of South Carolina
Debra HowellMuskegon Community/Technical College
Baicheng LinMedical University of South Carolina
Christian JonesMedical University of South Carolina
Ronan BreeDUNDALK INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
Dieter BurkhardKantonsschule Heerbrugg (SG)
Carlene HeschkeWest Bend-Mallard CSD
Kathy HuschleNorthwest Technical College
Haley SandersTN tech
Ebru Bilget GuvenKadir Has University
Arminda SousaESEN VISEU
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (60)
- Biodiversity (98)
- Biology Education (17)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (29)
- Botany (353)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (564)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (13)
- Development and Embryology (66)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (778)
- Evolutionary Biology (274)
- Genetics (727)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (949)
- Life (133)
- Marine Biology (11)
- Medicine and Health (37)
- Microbiology (433)
- Mycology (6)
- Neuroscience (4)
- Zoology (251)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
- Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education
Biology on the Web
Opinion: Voting—and Voting Wisely—Are Acts of Practical Wisdom in Society
Oct 31, 2020 02:56 PM PDT
Missouri Western opens 40-acre natural prairie
Oct 31, 2020 02:22 PM PDT
Making Drugs For Parkinson's From Food Waste: Scientists Discover An Environmentally Friendly ...
Oct 31, 2020 02:11 PM PDT
Molecular biology lab built in Camagüey
Oct 31, 2020 11:11 AM PDT
Biology/INBRE Seminar - Maggie Lau
Oct 31, 2020 11:02 AM PDT
Ogre-Faced Spiders: These Spiders Can Hear – Even Though They Have No Ears
Oct 31, 2020 10:37 AM PDT
MSU biologists have studied the mechanism of symmetrical folding of the wings of the smallest ...
Oct 31, 2020 10:24 AM PDT
Ascorbic Acid 2Glucoside market critical analysis with expert opinion: Nagase Industries , Spec ...
Oct 31, 2020 10:03 AM PDT
Justin Herbert's misinterpreted personality becomes Chargers' gain
Oct 31, 2020 09:52 AM PDT
Decaying Jellyfish Blooms Serve As Food, Changing Local Food Supplies
Oct 31, 2020 08:56 AM PDT
Biological Imaging Reagent Market : Opportunities and Forecast Assessment, 2020–2025
Oct 31, 2020 08:11 AM PDT
Synthetic Biology Market (2020- 2027) – Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (US), Merck KGaA (Germany ...
Oct 31, 2020 07:48 AM PDT
Greater Diversity of Cancer Models May Help Combat “Imprecision” in Personalized Care
Oct 31, 2020 07:03 AM PDT
Hair Regrowth Product (COVID-19 Version) Market Size, Analysis, Regional Expansion Factors ...
Oct 31, 2020 06:18 AM PDT
Ready To Use Biological Wastewater Treatments Systems Market Industry Analysis, Trend and ...
Oct 31, 2020 05:56 AM PDT
Biological Pesticide Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025
Oct 31, 2020 05:45 AM PDT
Global Biological Data Visualization Market Covid-19 Impact Analysis By Thermo Fisher Scientific ...
Oct 31, 2020 05:22 AM PDT
Biology on Twitter
- Learn about 7 new #OpenAccess #oncology journals and get publishing advice to increase the impact of your research… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…13 hours ago | wileymolecular
- It may be possible to diagnose #Parkinsons Disease with a skin test, a new study in Movement Disorders suggests.
- Research published in #OpenAccess journal Aging Cell suggests that proteomic profiles can be better predictors of b… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @wileyinresearch: Scientific papers are evolving. We're working with @authorea and @Atypon to bring 3d visualizations to journal articl…
- Read more about CEN‐tools, an integrative platform for identifying the contexts of essential genes, #OpenAccess in… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @CEIjournal: #Neuroimmune interactions: how do the immune system & nervous system influence each other? 🧠
These 4 reviews selected by o…
- Congrats @JoshGray12 and team! Because the article is published #OpenAccess, it is entirely free to read 👀 and shar… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @immjournal: Revisit all 5 of the articles in our review series on #Tregs in Cancer 👉buff.ly/2G2Z6Pd
🌟Guest edited by Awen Gall…
- RT @ASCPTjournals: Right timing of treatment may be critical to stop emergence of drug-resistant acute myeloid #leukemia. Ardeshir Goliaei…3 days ago | wileymolecular
- RT @TiffanyPang11: Margaret Baird was my supervisor at @otago. This @ASImmunology award reflects the values she championed : excellence in…3 days ago | wileymolecular