Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Introduction to Environmental Science
This book uses the basic principles of biology and earth science as a context for understanding environmental policies...
Joint Roadmap for Open Science Tools (JROST)
The Joint Roadmap for Open Science Tools (JROST) is a collaborative effort by like-minded individuals and organizations...
The Anthropocene: Human Impact on the Environment | HHMI BioInteractive
This interactive self-contained lesson explores how humans impact the environment. The lesson focuses on the impacts to...
Paleoclimate: A History of Change | HHMI BioInteractive
This interactive, self-contained lesson explores factors that impact Earth's climate, focusing on the historical...
Open Science MOOC: Principles and Practices
The Open Science MOOC: Principles and Practices is designed for faculty, students, and researchers who want to better...
Self-Assembled Molecules – New Kind of Protein Ligands | SpringerLink
This book is an open access under a CC BY license. The subject of this book relates to protein ligands with particular...
Instructor's Guide to Concepts of Biology, Chapters 12-21
This Instructor’s Guide contains the brief outlines of Chapters 12-21 as found in Concepts of Biology, though some...
Open Science Training Handbook (ver 1)
The Open Science Training Handbook (ver. 1) is intended for anyone who wishes to host Open Science training events or...
Open Science Children's Stories: "Fly-in-Space"
Fly in Space is excellent example of an Open Science Children's Story about two fruit flys born on earth and raised in...
Opossum Society of the United States
As development of once rural land increases, the opossum continues to be pushed out of its natural habitat and forced...
Slides for Junqueira's Basic Histology
A set of digitized histology images
Natural Sciences Grade 8
Grade 8 open source natural science textbook
General collection of fungus related information.
Welcome - Amanitaceae.org - Taxonomy and Morphology of Amanita and Limacella
A thorough treatment of Amanitaceae.
Myths of Human Genetics: Introduction
Discussion and sources relevant to the most common examples of Mendelian traits in humans.
B.C. Campus Open Education: Open Textbook Self-Publishing Guide
B.C. Campus Open Education: Open Textbook Self-Publishing Guide is a practical reference/development tool for...
INA-Rxiv Papers: The Open Access Preprint Server of Indonesia
INA-Rxiv Papers is a free, open access, country-lead preprint service and preprint repository for all academic and...
Virtual Labs: Gram Staining
This resource is a narrated animation on how gram staining of bacteria is done.
The B Files (Bias Case Studies)
Case studies of bias in real life epidemiologic studies
ChemSpider.com | Chemical Structure Database
ChemSpider is a free chemical structural database providing fast text and structure search access to over 63+ million...
CitizenScience.gov (USA) is an official government website designed to accelerate the use of crowdsourcing and Citizen...
LabScribbles: SGC's Extreme Open Science Initiative: Real-time Open Lab/books
LabScribbles, another milestone and model in Open Science, involves 20+ research scientists from different Structural...
Metrics-Toolkit.org | Helping you use metrics responsibly
The Metrics Toolkit provides evidence-based information about research metrics across disciplines, including how each...
Bio-Alive Biology and Life Science Video Share
Bio-alive is a life science online video sharing community, and the premier destination to watch and share biology and...
Sam ShoresIndependant School
Joyce JohnsonSouthwest Tennessee Community College
Musetsi MolefeUniversity of KwaZulu-Natal
Dianne PaterAmherst College
Kylie CrutsingerUniversity of North Texas
Terence EndersEast Aurora High School
John AlakSouthern University Shreveport, Louisiana U.S.A.
Simona DavisNiagara College of Applied Arts and Technology
Shannon GlantonAtlanta Metropolitan College
David CalladineInternational School of Gdansk
Anna MicciullaRockingham Early College High School
Yusuf Şamil AdıgüzelYusuf Şamil Adıgüzel
Florinda JimenezUniversidad Autonoma de Ciudad Juarez
Benjamin KilianAfrican Christian University
ed kremerKansas City Kansas Community/Technical College
Prashant MehtaV Care Educational Solutions
Mackenzie ShawTennessee Technological University
Lorena MorelloLorena Mor
Julie GouldBrunswick Secondary College
Antonio ArredondoKaty Independent School district
Luria NambaUniversity of Hawaii-Hawaii Community College
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (3)
- Biodiversity (85)
- Biology Education (4)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (6)
- Botany (290)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (563)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (7)
- Development and Embryology (69)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (774)
- Evolutionary Biology (259)
- General (402)
- Genetics (599)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (928)
- Life (134)
- Marine Biology (4)
- Medicine and Health (9)
- Microbiology (364)
- Mycology (4)
- Zoology (252)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
Biology on the Web
Molecular Biology Enzymes Market Growth Analysis, Share, Demand By Regions, Types And ...
Jun 22, 2018 03:18 PM PDT
Study: People with personality pathologies more interested in casual sex
Jun 22, 2018 02:33 PM PDT
Integrated master's programme in Computer Science
Jun 22, 2018 01:15 PM PDT
Marine biologist to lecture about sharks in Southern California waters
Jun 22, 2018 12:07 PM PDT
Synthetic Bioterrorism Is A Serious Threat, Military Officials Warn
Jun 22, 2018 11:33 AM PDT
A New Stink Bug Species Named After a Stink Bug Person
Jun 22, 2018 10:37 AM PDT
Egyptian-American molecular biology professor Adel Mahmoud dies at 76
Jun 22, 2018 10:15 AM PDT
Postdoctoral Fellow (Structural Biology, Imaging, Immunology, Therapeutic Antibodies, Stem Cells)
Jun 22, 2018 08:53 AM PDT
Biology Class Builds Research Skills, Autonomy in Underclassmen
Jun 22, 2018 07:56 AM PDT
Fish's Use of Electricity Might Shed Light on Human Illnesses
Jun 22, 2018 07:48 AM PDT
Blood Molecular Biology Tubes Market to Register Unwavering Growth During in Global Market by ...
Jun 22, 2018 07:37 AM PDT
Global L-Valine Market 2018-2023 Forecast and Outlook: Maidan Biology, Meihua Group and ...
Jun 22, 2018 07:29 AM PDT
Restoration Ecology Apprenticeship - Healthy Forest, Healthy Wildlife
Jun 22, 2018 07:03 AM PDT
Job announcement: Aquatic Ecology Technician - USGS
Jun 22, 2018 07:03 AM PDT
Funded MSc position in Desert Amphibian Ecology
Jun 22, 2018 07:03 AM PDT
Restoration Ecology Americorps Project Member
Jun 22, 2018 07:03 AM PDT
Synthetic Biology Market : Competitive Intelligence and Tracking Report 2018 – 2025
Jun 22, 2018 06:52 AM PDT
A Deeper Look at the Marine Biology Field
Jun 22, 2018 06:52 AM PDT
Biological Adaptation for Long-term Survival in Higher Altitude Populations Discovered
Jun 22, 2018 06:41 AM PDT
Biology on Twitter
- RT @MPI_Biochem: Have a look at the recently published case study from the Mann lab in @MolOncology:… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…9 hours ago | molecular
- RT @NSF: "At NSF, we work to fund researchers in fundamental science and we also help them on the journey to translate their work into new…
- RT @NSF: .@KState researchers are testing higher night time temperatures on wheat yields in preparation for a warmer future. Full video her…
- RT @NSF: As @TheIncredibles 2 hit theaters, so did shape-stretching #Elastigirl and her physics-defying uniform. Elastic arms are a stretch…
- RT @FEBS_Letters: New study identifies small-molecule #HIV entry #inhibitor targeting the HIV‐1 Gp41 envelope.
→… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…12 hours ago | molecular
- New research by Juergen Hahn’s group confirms success of blood test for diagnosing autism. Read the outstanding art… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…15 hours ago | molecular
- RT @NSF: #NSFfunded biologists & civil engineers created the first 3-D computer model capturing breast duct development. https://t.co/3C4kD…
- RT @NSF: Researchers are trying to predict the future behavior of El Niño by looking back in time at #fossils in the Dominican Republic: ht…
- RT @NSF: Bioengineers may be able to use the mechanical properties of diseased cells to help improve delivery of drug treatments to targete…
- RT @SteveMSweet: Great to see more examples of #clinical #proteomics. Case study from the Mann lab @MPI_Biochem in @MolOncology . And a chr…16 hours ago | molecular