Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Evolution - HHMI BioInteractive
At BioInteractive, you can find award-winning multimedia resources, including apps, animations, videos, interactives, and...
Here you'll find a wealth of resources and information aimed at helping educators bring genetics, bioscience and health...
Welcome to Evolution 101!
What is evolution and how does it work? Evolution 101 provides the nuts-and-bolts on the patterns and mechanisms of...
Human Anatomy Lab Manual
This is a lab manual for a college-level human anatomy course. Mastery of anatomy requires a fair amount of memorization...
Water Distribution Operator II
Water utilities need to order pipe from various manufacturers and sometimes the pipe needs to be shipped larger...
Water Distribution Operator I
A water distribution system is nothing more than a network of components designed to deliver water from a source to a...
Water Supply and Demand in California
You’re about to understand water demand and water supply more deeply. This understanding is going to change how you look...
Learning and Understanding Mathematical Concepts in the Areas of Water Distribution and Water Treatment
The converting (or canceling) of units is the most important concept in waterworks mathematics. You may be working with...
Introduction to Water Systems Technology
Water Systems and Technology is a program designed to provide the student with enough information to build a successful...
General Biology Lab Manual
The purpose of creating this custom lab manual for BioSci 100 was to provide our students with a high quality, low-cost...
Photosynthesis & Respiration Game
A simple game that helps students learn the reactants and products of photosynthesis and respiration.
De Gruyter: Open Access Journals
De Gruyter publishes fully open access journals across Science, Technology, Mathematics (STM) and Humanities, Social...
IEEE Access: The Multidisciplinary Open Access Journal
The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Access is an award-winning multidisciplinary, all electronic...
SEPUP Protein Synthesis Simulation
Protein synthesis simulation that has animated presentation taking student through the process of transcription and...
Protein Synthesis Race
Simulated game allowing students to transcribe DNA to mRNA and then mRNA into the amino acid sequence of a protein.
Transcribe and Translate a Gene
Animated activity allowing student to go through the process of transcribing DNA to mRNA and then translating mRNA into...
Chemistry of Amino Acids
Website from University of Arizona that contains general information regarding amino acids and their structure. Contains...
Protein Synthesis | NOVA Labs | PBS
Protein synthesis in the Cellular Factory. This resources contains videos that walk student through the process of...
Tutorials • AnatomyZone
3D video anatomy tutorials covering all areas of the human body. Helping you to revise anatomy the modern way!
Plant and Animal Cell Builder
Flash-based simulation that allows you to explore the structure and function of parts of animal and plant cells and...
Virtual Biology Lab created by Dr. Thomas C. Jones
A free, online, inquiry-based biology lab using models to simulate the natural world in the way living things respond to...
WOW Biolab Virtual Dissections
WOW Biolab Virtual Dissections contains virtual simulated labs that can be paired with content already being discussed in...
WOW Biolab Virtual Labs
WOW Biolab contains virtual simulated labs that can be paired with content already being discussed in the classroom and...
This book was written by undergraduate students at The Ohio State University (OSU) who were enrolled in the class...
Erin BuffaloStone Child Community/Technical College
Zaynah AllenSouthwest Tennessee Community College
Elijah HardenSouthwest Tennessee Community College
Carolyn DatuganI-Shou International School
Eve WilsonState University of New York System
Ruedi BorerKantonsschule Stadelhofen
Marisol Rangel-GarciaSomerset High School
Kathleen BoyleVirginia Commonwealth University
Shannon ShacklesFulford Academy
Christine MillerThompson Rivers University*
Jenny ClarkSaddleback College
jonathan ogbevireRUSH University Medical Center
Edison FowlksHampton University
Alicia GriffeyBiloxi High School
Maureen LemkeTexas State University-San Marcos
Kristin RichWalters State Community College
Dereka WashingtonMayfair Laboratory School
Lissie BakerSotomayor Center for Arts and Sciences
Gloria QuisidoEBR Schools
Linda JosephSouthern University System - Baton Rouge
Sheri BonzoEast Carter High School
marie LomaxOak Ridge High School
Nicola RobbertseCurro Roodeplaat
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (9)
- Biodiversity (88)
- Biology Education (5)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (24)
- Botany (292)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (564)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (8)
- Development and Embryology (69)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (781)
- Evolutionary Biology (263)
- General (402)
- Genetics (625)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (932)
- Life (136)
- Marine Biology (5)
- Medicine and Health (15)
- Microbiology (355)
- Mycology (4)
- Zoology (251)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
Biology on the Web
Mitchell students isolate new viruses
Nov 17, 2018 09:26 AM PST
The World Egg Bank to Attend the Translational Reproductive Biology and Clinical Reproductive ...
Nov 17, 2018 08:18 AM PST
Global Ceramic Membrane Market Analysis By Competitors, strategies benefits, Type (Biology ...
Nov 17, 2018 06:48 AM PST
What is biological farming?
Nov 17, 2018 06:03 AM PST
WCSU to offer master's degree in integrative biological diversity
Nov 17, 2018 04:33 AM PST
Synthetic Biology Workstation Market 2018-2022: Global Trends, Barriers, Challenges ...
Nov 17, 2018 03:48 AM PST
Global Sodium Lactate Market Analysis and Forecast From 2018 – 23: Henan Jindan Lactic Acid ...
Nov 17, 2018 03:37 AM PST
Blood Molecular Biology Tubes Market Market showing Compound annual growth rate and ...
Nov 17, 2018 01:33 AM PST
UK Survey Shows One-in-Seven People Support Transgender Claim
Nov 17, 2018 01:11 AM PST
Nov 16, 2018 09:34 PM PST
Nov 16, 2018 06:47 PM PST
Synthetic Biology Market Revenue Opportunies Estimated By Key Vendors
Nov 16, 2018 05:59 PM PST
Structuring and Supporting Excellence in Undergraduate Biochemistry and Molecular Biology ...
Nov 16, 2018 05:54 PM PST
Representation of Industry in Introductory Biology Textbooks
Nov 16, 2018 05:54 PM PST
Opportunity in the Amazon for a biology student
Nov 16, 2018 05:19 PM PST
Biology, Tenure Track Faculty
Nov 16, 2018 03:59 PM PST
UHV breaks ground on new STEM building
Nov 16, 2018 03:37 PM PST
Local teacher running marathon to support recovering addicts
Nov 16, 2018 03:15 PM PST
Alumni Symposium Details
Nov 16, 2018 03:06 PM PST
Research groups attend HHS 'listening session' on fetal tissue research amid funding fears
Nov 16, 2018 02:54 PM PST
Biology on Twitter
- Florida's monarch butterfly population experiencing sharp decline Credit: Eric Zamora @FloridaMuseum… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…20 minutes ago | NSF_BIO
- #NSFfunded research from @CornellRsrch indicates the biodiversity of tropical mountains is unique but also vulnerab… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…17 hours ago | NSF_BIO
- Have you read the latest issue of Clinical and Translational Science yet? Read it here: ow.ly/Wn0S30mCRpV https://t.co/9v9rEQLMHC, photo: pic.twitter.com/9v9rEQLMHC23 hours ago | molecular
- If you can't handle the heat... #NSFfunded research from @michiganstateu finds that organisms with smaller genomes… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Have you read the latest issue of Aging Cell yet? Read it here: ow.ly/IGYj30mCRmg https://t.co/ikO2lHsPC2, photo: pic.twitter.com/ikO2lHsPC21 day ago | molecular
- #NSFfunded researchers
@OhioState seem to have found a way to improve millet crop production in West Africa by gro… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- The Future Of Learning? Well, It's Personal @NPR buff.ly/2Dnbjh8 https://t.co/sGMzHS6I4h, photo: pic.twitter.com/sGMzHS6I4h1 day ago | MERLOTorg
- RT @NEON_sci: Calling on #atmospheric #scientists & #ecologists! Apply now for this #NSFFunded joint @NCAR - @NEON_sci workshop, Predicting…
- Check out this week's #FoundInMERLOT showcase: "The Power of Selling" #OER buff.ly/2RVdtIH1 day ago | MERLOTorg
- New Tools for Protein Science article: Integrating co‐evolutionary signals and other properties of residue pairs to… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | molecular