Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Open Science Training Handbook (ver 1)
The Open Science Training Handbook (ver. 1) is intended for anyone who wishes to host Open Science training events or...
Open Science Children's Stories: "Fly-in-Space"
Fly in Space is excellent example of an Open Science Children's Story about two fruit flys born on earth and raised in...
Opossum Society of the United States
As development of once rural land increases, the opossum continues to be pushed out of its natural habitat and forced...
Slides for Junqueira's Basic Histology
A set of digitized histology images
Natural Sciences Grade 8
Grade 8 open source natural science textbook
General collection of fungus related information.
Welcome - Amanitaceae.org - Taxonomy and Morphology of Amanita and Limacella
A thorough treatment of Amanitaceae.
Myths of Human Genetics: Introduction
Discussion and sources relevant to the most common examples of Mendelian traits in humans.
B.C. Campus Open Education: Open Textbook Self-Publishing Guide
B.C. Campus Open Education: Open Textbook Self-Publishing Guide is a practical reference/development tool for...
INA-Rxiv Papers: The Open Access Preprint Server of Indonesia
INA-Rxiv Papers is a free, open access, country-lead preprint service and preprint repository for all academic and...
Virtual Labs: Gram Staining
This resource is a narrated animation on how gram staining of bacteria is done.
The B Files (Bias Case Studies)
Case studies of bias in real life epidemiologic studies
ChemSpider.com | Chemical Structure Database
ChemSpider is a free chemical structural database providing fast text and structure search access to over 63+ million...
CitizenScience.gov (USA) is an official government website designed to accelerate the use of crowdsourcing and Citizen...
LabScribbles: SGC's Extreme Open Science Initiative: Real-time Open Lab/books
LabScribbles, another milestone and model in Open Science, involves 20+ research scientists from different Structural...
Metrics-Toolkit.org | Helping you use metrics responsibly
The Metrics Toolkit provides evidence-based information about research metrics across disciplines, including how each...
Bio-Alive Biology and Life Science Video Share
Bio-alive is a life science online video sharing community, and the premier destination to watch and share biology and...
MarXiv Papers: OA ePrint Repository for Ocean and Marine-Climate Sciences
MarXiv Papers is a free, Open Access ePrint (preprints/postprints) repository for Ocean and Marine-Climate Sciences....
BITSS: Open Access Preprints for Improving Open Research Transparency and Reproducibility
Berkeley Initiative for Transparency in the Social Sciences (BITSS) is an interdisciplinary preprint archive focused on...
AgriXiv.org: Open Access Preprints Archive for Agriculture and Allied Sciences
AgriXiv.org is a free, open access preprints archive for Agriculture and Allied Sciences. AgriXiv.org utilizes the Open...
Dimensions.ai: Open Access Research Repository
Digital Science Dimensions (DS Dimensions) is a linked research knowledge system that makes it easy to find and analyze...
The Biology Corner
This is a collection of resources that support General Biology 1 and II and Human Anatomy and Physiology 1 and II.
protocols.io - International Open Access Repository of Science Methods
Protocols.io is a freely available, crowd-sourced, up-to-date, International Open Access Research Repository for Science...
Open Research Glossary
The Open Research Glossary is designed as a reference resource to inform people about the culture of "Open Scholarship."...
ivana mirkovucVictoria University
Jordi Villà-FreixaUniversitat de Vic - Universitat Central de Catalunya
Tessa CarsnerCalifornia State University, Long Beach
Nancy BurnsQuinnipiac College
Kristen PorterWestfield State College
Norris ArmstrongUniversity System of Georgia - University of Georgia
Shaunelle SimpsonNashville State Community College
Deborah JacobsCity University of New York System - Medger Evers College
Tyrone McDonaldHumboldt State University
Jesse DillonCalifornia State University, Long Beach
Kim-Leiloni NguyenMount San Antonio College
Kevin EnglishWill C. Wood High School
Tara HendersonSaint Ignatius High School
Paola Soledad Vargas VillarroelINACAP Universidad Tecnológica de Chile
Holly LittleSaginaw Valley State University
Bryon SpicciNunez Community/Technical College
Barbara McCrackenSouthern Illinois University System - Edwardsville
Abigail GoosieWalters State Community College
Dan ClarkLiberty Christian School
Mercia CompanieUniversity of South Africa
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (3)
- Biodiversity (85)
- Biology Education (4)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (5)
- Botany (293)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (567)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (7)
- Development and Embryology (72)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (776)
- Evolutionary Biology (259)
- General (403)
- Genetics (601)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (930)
- Life (135)
- Marine Biology (4)
- Medicine and Health (9)
- Microbiology (364)
- Mycology (4)
- Zoology (252)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
Biology on the Web
Synthetic Biology Tools Market: Technology, Trends and Industry Analysis and Forecast to 2022
Apr 25, 2018 10:37 PM PDT
Green Oaks celebrates 60th year with Knox College
Apr 25, 2018 08:33 PM PDT
Slicers' Dusza to swim for Wabash College
Apr 25, 2018 07:15 PM PDT
Python Developer - Biology
Apr 25, 2018 06:00 PM PDT
GMC names 2017-2018 Educator of the Year and Character Educator of the Year
Apr 25, 2018 05:22 PM PDT
Biology and Senior Science Teacher
Apr 25, 2018 05:11 PM PDT
Schools Workshop on Mathematical Biology on 17 July 2018
Apr 25, 2018 05:10 PM PDT
#1499: Deciding Whether Biology Dictates Motherhood
Apr 25, 2018 04:48 PM PDT
IN MEMORIAM: Susan Williams of Bodega Marine Lab
Apr 25, 2018 03:41 PM PDT
Apr 25, 2018 03:18 PM PDT
Four new members elected to Brandeis University Board of Trustees
Apr 25, 2018 03:07 PM PDT
UCLA research may explain some causes of infertility and miscarriage
Apr 25, 2018 01:49 PM PDT
Scott A. Brady awarded 2018 High School Science Teacher of the Year
Apr 25, 2018 01:48 PM PDT
Special Retinal Proteins May Be The Reason Birds Never Lose Their Way
Apr 25, 2018 01:43 PM PDT
CRISPR could one day help conservationists save our ocean's coral
Apr 25, 2018 01:37 PM PDT
Rethinking phylogenetic comparative methods
Apr 25, 2018 01:13 PM PDT
Experienced Biology Teacher / Head of Department (Key Stage 3 to 5)
Apr 25, 2018 12:51 PM PDT
Teacher - Biology, 9-12
Apr 25, 2018 12:43 PM PDT
Six from LSU receive National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships
Apr 25, 2018 12:41 PM PDT
Biology on Twitter
- RT @NEON_sci: .@SMConservation's Dr. Jim McNeil & @Battelle's @MeganAHJones on data management using small mammal data from our @smithsonia…8 hours ago | NSF_BIO
- #NSFfunded BIO research from @TACC -- They once caught a genome thiiiis big: tacc.utexas.edu/-/how-to-catch… https://t.co/sBDPmfzU8R, photo: pic.twitter.com/sBDPmfzU8R9 hours ago | NSF_BIO
- RT @Ann_T_Tate: Celebrating the receipt of our official @NSF_BIO DEB/IOS award notice today! We are incredibly excited to forge ahead with…9 hours ago | NSF_BIO
- 10 Very Good Web Tools to Engage Students in Hands-on Activities in Class @medkh9 buff.ly/2HqrUUv11 hours ago | MERLOTorg
- Teaching in the Era of Bots: Students Need Humans Now More Than Ever @EdSurge buff.ly/2HrzgqT https://t.co/eLNoLTkP4P, photo: pic.twitter.com/eLNoLTkP4P13 hours ago | MERLOTorg
- RT @UMConnector: #NABI18 is underway! The impact buzz is all around. Looking forward to learning and sharing over the next few days. @NSF…14 hours ago | NSF_BIO
- RT @davidcblackburn: Look at all those lovely 3D printed specimens from the #oVertTCN funded by @NSF_BIO. twitter.com/NSF_BIO/status…14 hours ago | NSF_BIO
- Ten Most Popular #MOOCs Starting in May 2018 @classcentral buff.ly/2vJ50Cf15 hours ago | MERLOTorg
- RT @EMBOPress: Great collection of papers in support of #EMBLEpitrans. In Heidelberg for the meeting? Look for @embojournal senior editor…15 hours ago | molecular