Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Understanding Science is the Biology Board's Classic Award winner for 2019. This site has a huge variety of resources that present a detailed and accurate portrayal of what science is and how it works. We hope you love it as much we do!
Environmental Science: A Canadian Perspective
This textbook is intended to provide the core elements of a curriculum for teaching environmental science at the...
ENVS181 Course Materials
This folder has pointers to open resources for Environmental Science 181 at Lane Community College. It is organized by...
Biology for AP® Courses
Biology for AP® Courses covers the scope and sequence requirements of a typical two-semester Advanced Placement® biology...
Open Journal Systems | Public Knowledge Project
The Open Journal System (OJS) by the Public Knowledge Project (PKP) is a Free Open Source Software (FOSS) system...
Study Guides and Videos for OpenStax Biology, Chapters 5-7
This set of videos and study guides for OpenStax Biology was created under an ALG Mini-Grant for Ancillary Materials...
Sanjoy Sanyal Anatomy Videos
Contains mostly videos on Human Brain, Neuroscience, Surgical Techniques Surgical Anatomy and Surgical Instruments, with...
The LUMEN Dissector has as its objectives: 1) to incorporate more multimedia into the principal learning environment of...
DukeMedicine Online Dissector
This is an intensive, fast-paced, classical cadaver-based anatomy course. The laboratory portion of this course involves...
SUNY Downstate Human Anatomy Online Dissector
This guide provides images and instructions for cadaver dissection. It is the intent of this dissection manual to provide...
ChinaXiv is an open repository and distribution service for scientific researchers in the field of natural science, which...
Neuroscientifically Challenged is a neuroscience blog and learning resource where you can learn about the brain and...
2-Minute Neuroscience: Vestibular System
The vestibular system is a sensory system that is essential to normal movement and equilibrium. In this video, I discuss...
Marine Institute Open Access Repository
The Marine Institute Open Access Repository facillitates full-text access to the publications of the Marine Institute in...
Networking Minds for Open Innovation, Solving Complex Problems (video)
Networking Minds for Open Innovation, Solving Complex Problems (video), When you unleash the power of diverse points of...
OpenWorm; World's First Digital Virtual Organism
Open Worm is an outstanding Open Source/Open Science project dedicated to creating the first virtual organism, a...
This collection provides an overview of what is meant by the term ‘biodiversity,’ and how we measure it. The collection...
Environmental Biology is a free and open textbook that enables students to develop a nuanced understanding of today’s...
Human biology is an interdisciplinary area of study that examines humans through the influences and interplay of many...
Evolutionary Developmental Biology
The fields of Development and Evolution cannot be truly separated. When we study Developmental Biology we are mostly...
What is microbiology? If we break the word down it translates to “the study of small life,” where the small life refers...
Microbiology is the study of microorganisms, which are defined as any microscopic organism that comprises either a single...
Working with Molecular Genetics
Genetics is the study of genes, genetic variation, and heredity in living organisms. This online textbook...
Online Open Genetics
Genetics is the scientific study of heredity and the variation of inherited characteristics. It includes the study of...
Biochemistry is the study of chemical processes in living organisms, including, but not limited to, living matter....
Bridgette KirkpatrickCollin County Community/Technical College
claudia infanteUniversidad Autónoma de Chile
Phyllis FreemanFisk University
Carmen López SaizUniversidad de Sonora
Alexandra TaylorKingsway Regional High School
Reena NinanKingsway Regional
pamela schefflerHawaii CC
Karen ArbuckleSouth Arkansas Community/Technical College
Anthony LowryCalifornia State University Long Beach
Sara AtiaTeaching Credential
ZaVonia FittsCalifornia State University, Long Beach
John GonzalezCalifornia State University, Long Beach
Connor DevaneyCal State Long Beach
Marc TrinidadCalifornia State University, Long Beach
Pankaj MehrotraBard Early College
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (14)
- Biodiversity (89)
- Biology Education (7)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (24)
- Botany (301)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (564)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (8)
- Development and Embryology (69)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (779)
- Evolutionary Biology (265)
- General (399)
- Genetics (620)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (937)
- Life (135)
- Marine Biology (6)
- Medicine and Health (18)
- Microbiology (361)
- Mycology (4)
- Zoology (251)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
- Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education
Biology on the Web
Nimbus builds out scientific team with new heads of biology, clinical development
Mar 20, 2019 09:22 PM UTC
AD100 Snøhetta Designs Europe's First Underwater Restaurant
Mar 20, 2019 08:26 PM UTC
Mar 20, 2019 06:56 PM UTC
Scientists create hot sauce that 'mimics bite of a venomous spider'
Mar 20, 2019 06:44 PM UTC
C-sections are seen as breastfeeding barrier in the US, but not in other global communities
Mar 20, 2019 06:22 PM UTC
Turtles and dolphins and sharks — ASU class travels to Gulf of California to get up close and ...
Mar 20, 2019 06:11 PM UTC
Robotic collectives inspired by biological cells
Mar 20, 2019 06:00 PM UTC
Here's Why Amyris Collapsed Today
Mar 20, 2019 05:37 PM UTC
The Biology of Death-Feigning
Mar 20, 2019 05:26 PM UTC
Science Says: Tiny 'water bears' can teach us about survival
Mar 20, 2019 05:15 PM UTC
UAlbany researcher awarded $3.4 million in NIH grants since September
Mar 20, 2019 04:51 PM UTC
This Week in Genome Biology
Mar 20, 2019 04:41 PM UTC
Guns N Taxonomy: The Vertebrate Biology Of Annie Alexander
Mar 20, 2019 04:07 PM UTC
Seven UAB students receive top awards at Alabama Academy of Science competition
Mar 20, 2019 03:22 PM UTC
Researchers analyze biodiversity patterns in Antarctic Dry Valleys
Mar 20, 2019 03:11 PM UTC
MIT launching Down syndrome research center with $29M gift
Mar 20, 2019 02:48 PM UTC
Farscape's Top 5 Non-Humanoid Aliens
Mar 20, 2019 02:37 PM UTC
Exploding Whales, Poisoned Porpoises: The Gruesome World of Cetacean Autopsies
Mar 20, 2019 02:26 PM UTC
'Mistletoe' Lecture Scheduled at Fort Lewis College
Mar 20, 2019 02:03 PM UTC
Biology on Twitter
- New issue of the Online Learning Journal #OLJ #onlinelearning @OLCToday buff.ly/2Fn1saC https://t.co/LgB3pwYIdM, photo: pic.twitter.com/LgB3pwYIdM4 hours ago | MERLOTorg
- New #NSFfunded research @michiganstateu sheds light on the plight of monarch #butterflies' migration/survival.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | NSF_BIO
- Ten Most Popular #MOOCs Starting in April 2019 #MOOC @classcentral buff.ly/2TlKtdw https://t.co/7YQhpSiamL, photo: pic.twitter.com/7YQhpSiamL7 hours ago | MERLOTorg
- RT @JohnLOrrock: Predator-prey interactions abound in the novel world of the Anthropocene. Our new paper provides a framework to help make…8 hours ago | NSF_BIO
- Happy #firstdayofspring! DYK...#NSFfunded researchers @michiganstateu study why some plant metabolites attract pol… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @NEON_sci: Free @ESA_org live, interactive webinar w' @MeganAHJones & @dr_lunch on March 27. Registration required: Access @NSF_BIO NEON…
- RT @NSF_OIA: ICYMI: @NSF has announced its FIRST THREE TRACKS for #convergenceaccelerator #CAccel! Info here: bit.ly/2TdCeQN & web…
- RT @eelabfiu: looking good at the 2019 all-hands meeting of #FIU @CRESTCAChE center, 3rd year and going #strong!! @FIUWater @FIUTropics @FI…
- #NSFfunded researchers @UCRiverside have developed a new technique to more easily identify fake medicines and other… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @Battelle: The @NEON_sci program we manage for @NSF @NSF_BIO, a continental-scale lab comprising 81 different field sites in 20 domains,…