Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
The GEO Handbook on Biodiversity Observation Networks | SpringerLink
Biodiversity observation systems are almost everywhere inadequate to meet local, national and international (treaty)...
Nutrition and Health: Micronutrients and Malnutrition
Learn about malnutrition and micronutrients and how they impact human health. There is an overload of information about...
TEDxBrussels: Open Science can save the planet
Frontiers’ CEO, Kamila Markram, makes a case at TEDxBrussels for why open science is the key to innovation, economic...
CMU's Open Science LibGuide for Biological Sciences
Carnegie Mellon University's Open Science LibGuide for Biological Sciences will provide you with resources for making...
Mason OER Metafinder (MOM): OER Repository Search Engine
George Mason University Libraries' "Mason OER Metafinder" is designed as a search engine (metafinder) of popular OER...
Maptia · Home to a World of Stories
Bringing you a world of inspiring and thought-provoking stories, Maptia is a collaborative project with photographers,...
ResourceWatch.org: "Monitoring the Planet's Pulse with Open Data"
Resource Watch features over 200+ reliable and timely data sets in one place on the state of the planet's resources and...
Thingful.net - a search engine for the Internet of Things (Open IoT Data)
Thingful is a search engine fot the Internet of Things (IoT), enabling secure discoverability and interoperability...
UGA Anatomy and Physiology 2 Lab Manual
This lab manual was created for Anatomy and Physiology II at the University of Georgia under a Textbook Transformation...
UGA Anatomy and Physiology 1 Lab Manual
This lab manual was created for Anatomy and Physiology I at the University of Georgia under a Textbook Transformation...
Principles of Biology I Lab Manual
This lab manual was created for BIOL 1107, Principles of Biology I, through an ALG Textbook Transformation Grant. Copies...
Principles of Biology II Lab Manual
This lab manual was created for BIOL 1108, Principles of Biology II, through an ALG Textbook Transformation Grant. C
Introduction to Environmental Science, 2nd edition
This book uses the basic principles of biology and earth science as a context for understanding environmental policies...
Joint Roadmap for Open Science Tools (JROST)
The Joint Roadmap for Open Science Tools (JROST) is a collaborative effort by like-minded individuals and organizations...
The Anthropocene: Human Impact on the Environment | HHMI BioInteractive
This interactive self-contained lesson explores how humans impact the environment. The lesson focuses on the impacts to...
Paleoclimate: A History of Change | HHMI BioInteractive
This interactive, self-contained lesson explores factors that impact Earth's climate, focusing on the historical...
Open Science MOOC: Principles and Practices
The Open Science MOOC: Principles and Practices is designed for faculty, students, and researchers who want to better...
Self-Assembled Molecules – New Kind of Protein Ligands | SpringerLink
This book is an open access under a CC BY license. The subject of this book relates to protein ligands with particular...
Instructor's Guide to Concepts of Biology, Chapters 12-21
This Instructor’s Guide contains the brief outlines of Chapters 12-21 as found in Concepts of Biology, though some...
Open Science Training Handbook (ver 1)
The Open Science Training Handbook (ver. 1) is intended for anyone who wishes to host Open Science training events or...
Open Science Children's Stories: "Fly-in-Space"
Fly in Space is excellent example of an Open Science Children's Story about two fruit flys born on earth and raised in...
Opossum Society of the United States
As development of once rural land increases, the opossum continues to be pushed out of its natural habitat and forced...
Slides for Junqueira's Basic Histology
A set of digitized histology images
Natural Sciences Grade 8
Grade 8 open source natural science textbook
MARIA DE LA LUZ SALAZAR BIBIANOLuis Donaldo Colosio Murrieta
James DrummondMercer University
Justin PetrilloFounders Academy Las Vegas
Susan BrittJohnson County Community/Technical College
Joel MintzesCalifornia State University, Chico
Tanganika JohnsonSouthern University System - Baton Rouge
Vonda ReedShaw University
Holly PeltzerCollege of the Sequoias
Brian BoomerWest Hills College Coalinga
Serena ArandaUniversity of New Mexico
Christy WeeksNorth Carolina Community/Technical College System
Michael ChenCalifornia State University, Los Angeles
martha figueroaMartha figueroa
Jessica ByramIndiana University System - Indiana University Purdue University at Indianapolis
Kenechukwu AnyanechiSouthern University - Shreveport Bossier City
Amy D'AmatoPoint Loma Nazarene University
Kathleen JamshidiSanta Rosa Junior College
Kelcy Davis-HubbleWasco Union Elementary School District
Marcia OstrowskiUniversity of Southampton
Sam ShoresIndependant School
Joyce JohnsonSouthwest Tennessee Community College
Musetsi MolefeUniversity of KwaZulu-Natal
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (3)
- Biodiversity (87)
- Biology Education (4)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (7)
- Botany (291)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (562)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (7)
- Development and Embryology (69)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (773)
- Evolutionary Biology (259)
- General (400)
- Genetics (598)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (928)
- Life (135)
- Marine Biology (4)
- Medicine and Health (10)
- Microbiology (362)
- Mycology (4)
- Zoology (252)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
Biology on the Web
UTRGV faculty and students at forefront of Zika research
Jul 19, 2018 02:00 PM PDT
Issue: Cell Chemical Biology
Jul 19, 2018 12:11 PM PDT
Putting Bacteria to Work
Jul 19, 2018 11:53 AM PDT
How Real Estate is Preparing for the Emergence of the Life Sciences Industry in NYC
Jul 19, 2018 11:11 AM PDT
Biology Models Market Trends, Growth, Type And Application, Manufacturers, Regions & Forecast ...
Jul 19, 2018 11:00 AM PDT
Biology on Twitter
- RT @ResearcherJulia: Found 3 European green crabs today at Elkhorn Slough while doing annual crab surveys - the population is now much smal…
- Are you interested in a helping lead a nationally recognized team to further fundamental biological research? IOS i… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @NSF: Are you headed to San Diego @Comic_Con? Make sure to check out the symbiotic superpowers of the braconid wasps presented by #NSFfu…
- RT @NSF: It’s #ChristmasInJuly! Well, at least, it is for the “Christmas tree” worm – this organism bores into #coral & uses feather-like t…
- RT @NSF: At 10:37 a.m., emergency responders cleared the suspicious package incident at NSF headquarters. NSF thanks the Alexandria police…
- RT @NSF: A suspicious package incident has resulted in the evacuation of National Science Foundation (NSF) headquarters in Alexandria, Virg…
- RT @wileyresearcher: What can be done to foster gender equality in research funding, competitions, publishing, hiring and promotion? @LSEIi…10 hours ago | molecular
- RT @emboreports: —> embor.embopress.org/content/early/… twitter.com/physorg_biolog…
- RT @StemCellsTM: An Industry‐Driven Roadmap for Manufacturing in Regenerative Medicine
Technical advancements in the seven clinical manufa…
- RT @emboreports: Jacques Neefjes and colleagues @LUMC_Leiden identify novel genetic and chemical factors that control #interferon γ‐induced…