Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Anatomy of the Endocrine System
The endocrine system is made up of glands that produce and secrete hormones. These hormones regulate the body's growth,...
Mendel's Law of Segregation
Biology Professor discusses Mendel's Law of Segregation and reviews gamete formation in meiosis, fertilization,...
Mendel's Law of Independent Assortment
Biology Professor (Twitter: @DrWhitneyHolden) describes the Law of Independent Assortment and reviews recombination...
MoMo - Moving MOOC: Science 2.0 & Open Research Methods
Starting Nov 12, 2018, in the Moving MOOC (MOMO), young scholars and early career researchers (ECR) will learn to use...
Biological Molecules - You Are What You Eat: Crash Course Biology #3
Hank talks about the molecules that make up every living thing - carbohydrates, lipids, and proteins - and how we find...
That's Why Carbon Is A Tramp: Crash Course Biology #1
And thus begins the most revolutionary biology course in history. Come and learn about covalent, ionic, and hydrogen...
Population Genetics: When Darwin Met Mendel - Crash Course Biology #18
Hank talks about population genetics, which helps to explain the evolution of populations over time by combing the...
Genome Editing with CRISPR-Cas9
This animation depicts the CRISPR-Cas9 method for genome editing – a powerful new technology with many applications in...
Acid-Fast Stain (Video)
The Acid-Fast stain is an important differential stain used to distinguish between Acid-Fast bacteria and Non-Acid-Fast...
Bacterial Transformation (Video)
In this 5-minute YouTube video, Biology Professor discusses the process of transformation in bacteria, a cool type of...
Gram Stain Procedure (Video)
In this 5-minute YouTube video, Biology Professor describes Gram staining, possibly the single most important...
Neutrophil Phagocytosis - White Blood Cell Eats Staphylococcus Aureus Bacteria (Narrated)
A narrated video of a neutrophil chasing and phagocytosing a bacterium in the blood.
Lab review 2: Lipid Test
The below mentioned tests were the two main ones performed in the lab. Lipid tests SUDAN III TEST: Sudan III is a red...
Why Does Iodine Turn Starch Blue? :: Education :: ChemistryViews
A brief explanation of the chemistry behind the color change when iodine reacts with starch.
Biuret test: Principle, requirements, Procedure and Result -
Biuret test: Principle, requirements, Procedure and Result Principle: Biuret test is a general test for compounds having...
Benedict's Test- Principle, Composition, Preparation, Procedure and Result Interpretation
Benedict's Test- Principle, Composition, Preparation, Procedure and Result Interpretation. It identifies reducing sugars...
Introduction - Handbook of Biological Statistics
An introduction to statistics and statistical analysis designed primarily for biological scientists.
Updated video on biomolecules (macromolecules): carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, and nucleic acids by the Amoeba Sisters...
Clickable map simulates smallpox, influenza, and zombie epidemics.
FRED Measles Epidemic Simulator
FRED (A Framework for Reconstructing Epidemiological Dynamics) is a freely available open-source agent-based modeling...
CRediT : Open Research Scholarly Outputs Assessment Tool
CRedit (Contributor Roles Taxonomy) is high-level taxonomy including 14 roles, that can be used to represent the roles...
The Open Data Barometer
The Open Data Barometer (ODB) is a global measure of how government and publishing are using Open Data for...
AfricArxiv: Open Access Preprints for African Scientists
AfricArxiv is a free, open access, interdisciplinary preprint & postprint service for dissemination, distribution, and...
The Planetary Report (Open Access)
The Planetary Report is the internationally recognized flagship magazine of The Planetary Society, featuring lively...
Lissie BakerSotomayor Center for Arts and Sciences
Gloria QuisidoEBR Schools
Linda JosephSouthern University System - Baton Rouge
Sheri BonzoEast Carter High School
marie LomaxOak Ridge High School
Nicola RobbertseCurro Roodeplaat
Jabari McGinnisMorehouse College
Paul ShoreUniversity of Manchester
maresa freemanSouthwest Tennessee Community College
Kris DeAngeloMichigan State University
Audra GustinFusion Academy Greenwich
David gonzalezrey juan carlos
Michael StoneMichael Stone
Kevin McFadgenDes Moines Area Community/Technical College
Konnie MullinsSan Diego Mesa College
Rebecca SamCulver Academies
Diouma BaSouthwest Tennessee Community College
Molly MontoyaSouthwest Tennessee Community College
Amanda LouterIrvine Unified School District
morgan wachterCalifornia State University Long Beach
Traighe ConcannonCal State Long Beach
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (9)
- Biodiversity (88)
- Biology Education (5)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (18)
- Botany (292)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (563)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (7)
- Development and Embryology (69)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (775)
- Evolutionary Biology (261)
- General (401)
- Genetics (614)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (931)
- Life (136)
- Marine Biology (5)
- Medicine and Health (14)
- Microbiology (360)
- Mycology (4)
- Zoology (252)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
Biology on the Web
Canines as model animals for biomedical research
Oct 20, 2018 02:16 PM PDT
Global Erythritol Market Outlook 2018- Cargill, Jungbunzlauer, Baolingbao Biology, Zibo ZhongShi ...
Oct 20, 2018 01:48 PM PDT
Biologists Think They've Found the Hormone that Makes Space Farming Possible
Oct 20, 2018 01:15 PM PDT
Molecular Biology Kits Market: Global Growth by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application ...
Oct 20, 2018 12:13 PM PDT
Grant will help fund STEM after-school program at museum
Oct 20, 2018 10:15 AM PDT
Ockham's razor as a birding tool
Oct 20, 2018 10:06 AM PDT
Editorial Board and Contents
Oct 20, 2018 09:52 AM PDT
Virginia biology teacher pleads guilty to indecency charges involving student
Oct 20, 2018 09:52 AM PDT
Gary Siegwarth, candidate for Iowa governor
Oct 20, 2018 08:56 AM PDT
Reddit's Crazy Long Egg Explained: Biology, Chance, and Belinda the Chicken
Oct 20, 2018 08:00 AM PDT
UOG gets premedical students in clinics with shadow program
Oct 20, 2018 07:15 AM PDT
Ernst Haeckel's Bizarre, Refuted "Theory of Recapitulation" Explored in New Book
Oct 20, 2018 07:03 AM PDT
US, Cuban marine biologists put an end to 'academic embargo'
Oct 20, 2018 06:01 AM PDT
Epigenetic Relatedness: the Refutation of Biological Racism?
Oct 20, 2018 04:03 AM PDT
Lyme disease vastly under-detected in Canada, according to new study
Oct 20, 2018 02:56 AM PDT
Global Toltrazuril Market 2018: Dr Ehrenstorfer – LGC Group,Ringpu Biology,Easternalong Group ...
Oct 20, 2018 02:05 AM PDT
Biological farming conference for midlands
Oct 20, 2018 02:00 AM PDT
Seminar will focus on 'Trauma and the Environment"
Oct 19, 2018 11:33 PM PDT
Tamaracks deliver a golden show
Oct 19, 2018 11:11 PM PDT
Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down
Oct 19, 2018 09:41 PM PDT
Biology on Twitter
- ICYMI: #NSFfunded research from
@UWMadScience: Successful mouse couples talk out infidelity in calm tones… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…14 hours ago | NSF_BIO
- RT @NSF: .@GeorgiaTech researchers have discovered new info about how cells communicate which could lead to novel applications in regenerat…
- RT @NSF: Fractals serve as visual representations of “self-similarity,” or patterns that repeat to infinity. These patterns can help solve…
- RT @NSF: Spooky Antarctic vibes, moving magma matters, tracking the tropics and aging ancient animals. It’s the "Earth Science Week" editio…
- Have you read the latest issue of Developmental Dynamics yet? Read it here: ow.ly/nAuw30mhn4K https://t.co/IvDgLqBPbo, photo: pic.twitter.com/IvDgLqBPbo18 hours ago | molecular
- NSF continues efforts to prepare STEM graduates for entry into non-academic career fields. New internship opportuni… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…19 hours ago | NSF_BIO
- ICYMI: Karen Holl & Rakan Zahawi, along with Mr. Juan Abel Rosales, talk about 14-yr study comparing planting patch… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…22 hours ago | NSF_BIO
- RT @CrocHolliday: Visit Crocnet, a database of Alligator CT data, 3Dviz & more. Poster171 #2018SVP. osf.io/jmpck/; https://t.co/l…1 day ago | NSF_BIO
- ICYMI: Scientists @nyuniversity & @UChicago created fruit flies carrying reconstructed ancient genes to reveal how… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | NSF_BIO
- Check out this week's #FoundInMERLOT showcase: "Promoting Climate Change Literacy for Non-majors" #OER… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | MERLOTorg