Well-Tempered Clavier: Module 24
Listening and reading exercise on the last fugue (B minor) of JS Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier in performance by Edward Parmentier on the harpsichord. Includes online assessment.
- Listen to the B minor fugue at:
- Read the narrative, at the end of which you'll find a link to the online assessment. The narrative is available in English, Spanish, and Portuguese.
Browser Requires Adobe Flash.
- Topics: chromaticism, Lutheranism, chiasmus, Lucas Cranach, passion music
- Key concepts: Most chromatic of subjects in WTC employs twelve tones; outlines three crosses; 25 iterations of BACH motive; intertextual associations of passion music with Weimar painting by Lucas Cranach the Elder; motivic connotations of prelude.
- Answer the ten questions at:
- Enter your name and instructor's email at the top of the page, then click the "Send to Instructor" button.