Well-Tempered Clavier: Module 21
Listening and reading exercise on fugue 21 (B-flat major) of JS Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier in performance by Edward Parmentier on the harpsichord. Includes online assessment.
- Listen to the B-flat major fugue at:
- Read the narrative, at the end of which you'll find a link to the online assessment. The narrative is available in English and Spanish.
Browser Requires Adobe Flash.
- Topics: permutation fugue, countersubject, pattern & metapattern
- Key concepts: Contrapuntal texture with two countersubjects inverted in a pattern with one anomaly; rotation of polyphonic voices; fugue likened to Amish quilt, poetry, and folk art.
- David Korevaar's performance notes included at:
- Answer the ten questions at:
- Enter your name and instructor's email at the top of the page, then click the "Send to Instructor" button.