Well-Tempered Clavier: Module 19
Listening and reading exercise on fugue 19 (A major) of JS Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier in performance by Edward Parmentier on the harpsichord. Includes online assessment.
- Listen to the A major fugue at:
- Read the narrative, at the end of which you'll find a link to the online assessment. The narrative is available in English and Spanish.
Browser Requires Adobe Flash.
- Topics: double fugue, imbrications of motive, Dante, Milton
- Key concepts: Double fugue's disjunct subject developed by imbrications of motives; stepwise 2nd subject flies; etymology of fugue considered in Divine Comedy and Paradise Lost.
- Answer the ten questions at:
- Enter your name and instructor's email at the top of the page, then click the "Send to Instructor" button.