Well-Tempered Clavier: Module 6
Listening and reading exercise on fugue 6 (D minor) of JS Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier in performance by David Korevaar on the piano. Includes online assessment.
- Listen to the D minor fugue at: http://bach.nau.edu/clavier/nature/fugues/Fugue06.html.
- Read the narrative, at the end of which you'll find a link to the online assessment. The narrative is available in English, Spanish, and Portuguese.
Browser Requires Adobe Flash.
- Topics: structure of subject/countersubject, melodic inversion, rounded binary, Fortspinnung
- Key concepts: Subject fragmented into three motives and undergoes inversion for 1st time in WTC; countersubject motivically related to subject; fugue likened to big bang; form is rounded binary
- David Korevaars performance notes at:
- Answer the ten questions at:
- Enter your name and instructor's email at the top of the page, then click the "Send to Instructor" button.