Well-Tempered Clavier: Module 15
Listening and reading exercise on fugue 15 (G major) of JS Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier in performance by Dr. Philip Goeth on the organ. Includes online assessment.
- Listen to the G major fugue at:
- Read the narrative, at the end of which you'll find a link to the online assessment. The narrative is available in English and Spanish.
Browser Requires Adobe Flash.
- Topics: structure of subject, scale, proportionality
- Key concepts: Rhythmic symmetry of the subject; scalar material developed by economical means; fugue likened to Palladio villa with ensuing discussion of geometric and harmonic means, Zarlino, and "music of the spheres."
- Answer the ten questions at:
- Enter your name and instructor's email at the top of the page, then click the "Send to Instructor" button.