Well-Tempered Clavier: Module 9
Listening and reading exercise on fugue 9 (E major) of JS Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier in performance by Dr. Philip Goeth on the organ. Includes online assessment.
- Listen to the E major fugue at: http://bach.nau.edu/clavier/nature/fugues/Fugue09.html.
- Read the narrative, at the end of which you'll find a link to the online assessment. The narrative is available in English, Spanish, and Portuguese.
Browser Requires Adobe Flash.
- Topics: structure of subject/countersubject, melodic inversion, retrogradation, augmentation, DNA
- Key concepts: Motives in subject/countersubject analyzed at figural level; unusual variation of countersubject; atomized figures undergo inversion, retrogradation, augmentation; generative tendency of fugue likened to DNA.
- Answer the ten questions at:
- Enter your name and instructor's email at the top of the page, then click the "Send to Instructor" button.