Mass in B Minor: Module 5
Fifth reading (of six) on the Mass in B Minor.
- Go to the following URL and scroll down to Module 5: http://bach.nau.edu/mass/bmSCHOOL.html.
- Explore Bach's monogram by hovering over it and also the movements of the Mass.
- Click and read about each movement and the various styles and genres in the Mass.
Browser Requires Adobe Flash.
- The meaning of Bach's monogram
- History of the composition of each movement
- Bach's practice of "borrowing"
- The key of each movement and the duality of B minor/D major
- Chorus vs. aria
- High baroque vs. stile antico
- Concerted style vs. continuo, motet, chamber music
- How each movement employs various combinations of the above
- Answer the ten questions at:
- Enter your name and instructor's email at the top of the page and then click the "Send to Instructor" button.