Mass in B Minor: Module 2
Second reading (of six) on the Mass in B Minor.
- Go to the following URL and scroll down to Module 2: http://bach.nau.edu/mass/bmSCHOOL.html.
- Read the essay: "The Mass in Context."
Browser Requires Adobe Flash.
- What is the mass "Ordinary" and its history of musical setting?
- What is a missa brevis vs. missa tota and Bach's treatment of both?
- The place of Bach's missa tota in the larger context of masses by other composers.
- Bach's "summa mentality," awareness of his legacy, and response to criticism.
- Bach's high purpose for music as "refreshment of spirit" and what that means.
- Answer the ten questions at:
- Enter your name and instructor's email at the top of the page and then click the "Send to Instructor" button.