Goldberg Variations: Module 9
Listening to the 14 canons of the Addendum to the Goldberg Variations: last listening module (of three).
- Go to the following URL and scroll down to Module 9: http://bach.nau.edu/goldberg/gbSCHOOL.html.
- Listen to the movements listed under TOPICS (below).
Browser Requires Adobe Flash.
The Fourteen Canons of BWV 1887
- canons 1-4: simple combinations using inversion and retrogradation
- canon 5: double canon in contrary motion
- canon 6: mirror canon above the ground
- canon 7: canon in contrary motion above the ground
- canon 8: mirror canon framing the ground
- canon 9: simple canon with separation of a sixteenth rest
- canon 10: counterpoint above the ground with its melodic inversion (evolutio)
- canon 11: double canon in contrary motion above the ground
- canon 12: double canon in contrary motion, above the ground, involving rhythmic augmentation
- canon 13: triple canon in contrary motion with one canon leader being the ground
- canon 14: canon in contrary motion with rhythmic augmentation
- Answer the ten questions at:
- Enter your name and instructor's email at the top of the page and then click the "Send to Instructor" button.