Goldberg Variations: Module 11
Sixth reading (of seven) on the Goldberg Variations.
- Go to the following URL and scroll down to Module 11: http://bach.nau.edu/goldberg/gbSCHOOL.html.
- Read the essay: "The Bees Were About their Usual Business."
Browser Requires Adobe Flash
- Meaning of the canon that Bach holds in the Haussman portrait
- The Goldberg ground as a melody in the public domain and how Bach realized its full potential as a contrapuntal subject
- Bach's respect for 16th-century counterpoint -- the stile antico.
- Double counterpoint and motivic combinatoriality likened to linguistic riddles
- The canonic paradox
- Canon as Symbolum
- Why was Bach so drawn to counterpoint?
- Answer the ten questions at:
- Enter your name and instructor's email at the top of the page and then click the "Send to Instructor" button.