Goldberg Variations: Module 2
Second reading (of seven) on the Goldberg Variations.
- Go to the following URL and scroll down to Module 2: http://bach.nau.edu/goldberg/gbSCHOOL.html.
- Watch the animation: "The Goldberg is a Line."
- Read the essay: "The Point of the Goldberg Variations (and their counterpoint)."
- Read the essay: "Why Did Bach Write This?"
Browser Requires Adobe Flash.
- The pattern: the variations are in groups of threes, with a character (genre) piece followed a virtuoso piece followed by a canon.
- Speculation on the Goldbergs as Bach's response to criticism.
- The Goldbergs as Bach's proof of renewed contrapuntal vitality in an age that rejected counterpoint.
- The Trinitarian connotation of the Goldberg Variations and the deeper meaning of Bach's stated purpose: "for the refreshment of the soul."
- Answer the ten questions at:
- Enter your name and instructor's email at the top of the page and then click the "Send to Instructor" button.