Match Treatment to Cases Developed By: Traci Kennedy University of Michigan department of Psycholgy
Choose from the therapies listed below to determine what therapy would likely be most effective for each of the cases below.
a.) Antipsychotic medication, such as Risperdal
b.) Systematic Desensitization, perhaps in combination with Xanax
c.) A mood stabilizing medication, such as Lithium
d.) Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, perhaps paired with later Cognitive Therapy
e.) Electroconvulsive Therapy
f.) Cognitive-Behavior Therapy
g.) Intensive Behavior Modification
h.) Humanistic Therapy
i.) Aversive Conditioning
j.) Family Therapy
k.) Cognitive Therapy
1. _____Young adult male who goes through periods of deep depression lasting for several months, followed by periods of heightened activity, sleeplessness, creativity, and reckless behavior. You have diagnosed this client with Bipolar Disorder.
2. ____7-year-old boy with aggressive behavioral problems. He has difficulty following his parents instructions, takes his anger out on others by hitting, and throws tantrums when he does not get what he wants.
3. ____ 30-year-old woman who is extremely anxious about being in public or closed-in spaces, such as subways, elevators, and buses. She has been struggling with her anxiety disorder for years and is fully committed to overcoming her symptoms, whatever it takes.
4. ____50-year-old male with alcoholism.
5. ____Woman with Major Depressive Disorder who feels worthless, helpless, and believes that everything bad that happens to her stems from the fact that she is a failure. She feels that no one will ever love her, so has stopped trying to date because she feels that it is hopeless.
6. ____40-year-old man with extremely severe and chronic Major Depressive Disorder. He has attempted suicide 3 times and feels so low that life is just not worth living to him. He has never married, has no children, and his parents have both passed away, leaving him without social support. He has tried several types of therapies and medications, but nothing has yet helped to pull him out of his depression.
7. ____ Female college student who has been anxious about school lately, but cant really determine why. She would like help gaining insight into her problem and just wants someone to listen to her concerns.
8. ____50-year-old woman who has recently become quite depressed: she has lost interest in activities that she used to enjoy, sleeps much more than usual, cries for much of the day, and feels like she cannot do anything in life. Her mother and her aunt have also suffered from depression during their lives. She tells you that she believes therapy is a waste of time, and missed her first appointment because she reportedly did not have the energy to get herself out of bed.
9. ____17-year-old girl with bulimia nervosa, including a distorted body image and bingeing and purging behaviors.
10. ____30-year-old male with symptoms including delusional beliefs, visual and auditory hallucinations, and disorganized speech.
11. ____A 45-year-old male with concerns about difficulties he has been having with his wife. Reportedly, the difficulties began when their 14-year-old son started high school and began skipping school and staying out late at night.