Basic knowledge of arterial blood gases and acid-base imbalances will assist your understanding of the material.
From this learning activity, the learner will be able to:
1. Identify normal ranges of arterial blood gas elements.
2. Define respiratory acidosis and alkalosis and metabolic acidosis and alkalosis.
3. Identify acid-base imbalances when given scenarios and arterial blood gas results.
4. Recognize differences in compensatory mechanisms in arterial blood gases.
5. Apply knowledge about clinical manifestations associated with acid-base imbalances.