Edo and Tokugawa Japan
1. What is Edo's current name?
Click Edo map. The Edo map has 22 stars. Click on each star to find a specific
site. Answer the questions associated with each site. To the left of each
site are wood block prints that provide addtional visual information about
location within Edo. Be sure to use the icons above as needed.
Click the star for Yushima. Answer Questions 2-8.
2. What is the importance of Yushima and why does it have a Confucian
3. What role did Tokugawa Ieyasu play in Yushima's history?
4. Who was Hayashi Rinzan?
5. Why is education important to the Japanese?
6. What is a gakumonsho and a daigaku?
7. What subjects are taught?
8. What is a tera-koya?
Click the star for Somei. Answer Questions 9-11.
9. Why is gardening so important to the Japanese?
10. What is a bonsai?
11. What plants are among the favorites for the Japanese?
Click the star for Kyobashi. Answer Questions 12-14.
12. What kinds of craftsmen are at Kyobashi?
13. What are the Gin-za, the Kin-za, and the Zeni-za?
14. What is a kimono?
Click the star for Ikegami Honmonji. Answer Questions 15-22.
15. Explain the Buddhist connection to Edo.
16. What does sei-I tai shogun mean and who was the first family to receive
this title and why?
17. What does the word samurai mean?
18. What is the relationship of the Emperor to the Shogun?
19. What does bakufu mean?
20. Who was Nichiren?
21. What is used to purchase items and why?
22. Describe the temples.
Click the star for Takanawa Okido. Answer Questions 23-27.
23. Describe the Gates of Edo.
24. Who were the daimyo and what role did they play in the "age of warring
25. What goes on at a chaya?
26. What is Sankin-Kotai?
27. Why do Daimyo go to Edo twice a year?
Click the star for Ssenkakuji. Answer Questions 28-32.
28. What is the grave of the 47 samurai?
29. What is kabuki?
30. What is Bushido?
31. Howdid the samurai die?
32. What is seppuku?
Click the star for Kanda. Answer Question 33.
33. Describe in detail the estate of Lord Matsudaira.
Click the star for Honjo. Answer Questions 34-35.
34. Who resided in Honjo?
35. What determines how much a person eats?
Click the star for Tsukuda-shima. Answer Question 36.
36. What kind of seafood is caught here? How is the seafood caught?
Click the star for Odenmacho. Answer Questions 37-40.
37. How do people travel in Japan?
38. Who are the denma?
39. How does the shogun gain information from outlaying regions?
40. How are these messages written?
Click the star for Kawasaki. Answer Questions 41-43.
41. What are seki?
42. What is a han?
43. What classes exist in Japan and what groups are included in each?
Click the star for Suruga-Machi. Answer Questions 44-47.
44. What is tonya?
45. What role did the to nya play in business affairs?
46. Describe how goods are sold.
47. How does one become a merchant?
Click the star for Tamagawa Josui. Answer Questions 48-50.
48. Why is the role of the water-mayor so important?
49. What role did Ieyasu play in the development of a water system?
50. What is the importance of the canal and water projects?
Click the star for Kami-Meguro. Answer Question 51.
51. Why is hawk-hunting important to both the Shogun and the Daimyo?
Click the star for Shiba. Answer Questions 52-53.
52. How has the geography of Edo changed?
53. What activities now take place here in Edo?
Click the star for Edo-Jo. Answer Question 54.
54. Describe Edo Castle.