Marco Polo and China Under the Mongols
The site has considerable information about the Mongols and their rule of China and much of Asia. This exercise will ONLY use the site links associated with Marco Polo: KEY FIGURES: Marco Polo (sections on the assessment of Polo's writings and whether or not Polo went to China); CLASS MATERIALS: Marco Polo in China, 1271-1295; RELATED LINKS: Marco Polo and His Travels; READINGS: Marco Polo: The Glories of Kinsay (Chapters 8-11, 22-24, 26, 46) and In the Footsteps of Marco Polo.
Write a 5-7 page paper answering the following questions.
1. Describe the route that Marco Polo, his father, and uncle travled to China.
2. Why did the Polos go to China?
3. Describe in detail the China discovered by Marco Polo.
4. Describe the court of Khubailau Khan at the time of the Polos' visit.
5. Did Marco Polo really travel to China?
6. What was the impact of the Polo trip on Italy and Europe?
To acquaint students with the travels of Italian Marco Polo and how China influenced him and ultimately Italy.