Exploring the Nervous System
Go to http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/neurok.html
Click on "Explore the Nervous System"
Click on "The Peripheral Nervous System" at the top of the page
Click on "The Autonomic Nervous System"
Answer the following questions:
1. What does ANS stand for?
2. How does ANS cause us to respond in emergencies? In non-emergencies?
3. What 3 parts is the ANS divided into?
Read about the Sympathetic and Parasympathetic Nervous Systems
1. What region of the spinal cord are the cell bodies of the sympathetic
nervous system located? The parasympethetic?
Submit answers to these questions via email
1. Choose 5 organs and diagram their responses to sympathetic and
2. Over the next 3 days, create a PowerPoint telling a story in which the main
character encounters a situation where he/she must use the sympathetic or
parasympathetic nervous system. Mention the responses of the 5 organs you chose
and, if you can, use the Internet to find pictures of the 5 organs and bring
them into your PowerPoint at the pages where you talk about them. Be creative!
Submit your PowerPoint.
Extra Credit Option:
At the bottom of the ANS web page, click on "Interactive Word Search Puzzle on
the Autonomic Nervous System"
Complete the puzzle
Print the puzzle
Return the completed puzzle to me along with the PowerPoint