Atmospheric Layers Internet Review
the atmosphere. It can be completed in class, or assigned as homework, depending
upon access to the Internet.
The website can be adjusted from beginner, to intermediate, to advanced level
content material. The following study guide is designed to be used with the
advanced setting, which is most apporpriate to a high school class.
Students answer the following questions as they go through the site. After
reading each paragraph, students will have to click on some of the blue
highlighted words in order to answer the questions.
1. Where is the atmosphere the thickest?
2. How much of the earth's atmosphere is contained within the troposphere?
3. What occurs within the troposphere?
4. Heat is mixed through the troposphere because on average, that layer is
5. Why do most jets fly in the stratosphere?
6. What is absorbed from the sun in the stratosphere?
7. What is the stratosphere also known as?
8. The stratosphere is located in between which two layers?
9. What burns up in the mesosphere?
10. Why do these burn in the mesosphere?
11. Atmospheric temperatures reach to what value (low) in the mesosphere?
12. The mesosphere is located in between which two layers?
13. The thermosphere is a layer with what?
14. What else orbits in the thermosphere?
15. The air is so thin, that what happens with temperature changes?
16. What is the ionosphere made of?
17. In what layer does the atmopshere merge into space?
18. The exosphere is what limit to our atmosphere?