The Muslim World and the West
and the West, Women and Islam, and Islamic Belief, Law, and Practice. Leading
Islamic scholars in the United States are interviewed for each section. Read
the interviews for each section. Then write a 5-7 page paper answering these
1. How has Western Civilization influenced the Islamic World in both positive
and negative ways?
2. What is the traditional role of women in the Islamic World and how is the
role of Islamic women changing?
3. What are the traditional beliefs, laws, and practices of Islam?
4. How is Islam and Christianity similar and different?
5. What does it mean to be a Muslim today?
Islam and the West
To acquaint students with the traditional beliefs, laws, and practice of Islam by illustrating similarities and differences.
To acquaint students with the Islamic world's perspectives on how the West has historically impacted Muslims.