Teaching Writing and Jigsaw Method
This is the official website of the jigsaw classroom, a co-operative learning technique that purports to reduce racial... see more
Free-writing opportunities on area of letter of introduction. Discussion of
ideas that guided decisions made while writing.
Lecture/Discussion activities regarding three-cueing system and writing
interactions (a review and addition to ideas from prior class sessions.
Introduce jigsaw activity, sharing the purpose of the cooperative method, the
connection to writing practices, the expert group and the jigsaw group roles,
the timeline for working.
1. Define jigsaw group learning.
2. Introduce writing practice roles: meaning manager, text manager, power
manager, audience manager. Give time to assemble individual thoughts about the
3. Assign jigsaw group. Have groups assign individual tasks: select one
4. Gather in expert groups to assemble thoughts/ideas about manager roles.
5. Regroup in jigsaw groups and dialogue thoughts. Note generalizations on
6. Complete assess ment.
Lecture/Discussion activities about the research on writing and the natures of
the writing process. Share article by Tom Romano (2004): The Power of Voice.
Conclude class session with read-aloud from Teaching Adolescents to Write: The
Unsubtle Art of Naked Teaching (Baines and Kunkel, 2003)
Teaching Language Arts
2.demonstrate teacher-researcher model of inquiry to analyze methodological practices by considering theoretical grounding from the text and experiences.
3.evaluate methods or strategies which support student learning.