Using the Census of Manufacturers to Gather Information on Business Markets
This exercise will familiarize you with the new North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS), demonstrate how it compares to the old Standard Industrial Classification System (SICS), and accustom you to how to search for information.
In the following steps, I will use myself as the example, and will enter information relevant to my last name, Swift. In quotations is the information that I would record with my last name. Underlined words are the clicks that you make as you go through the assignment. Ready?
1. Go to the Census of Manufacturers (www.census.gov)
2. On the homepage look under Business and click on NAICS
(North American Industrial Classification System.
3. Read the first several paragraphs to find out about NAICS.
4. Now, let's find a NAICS code. Click NAICS Search in the left column.
5. To individualize the assignment, look for the first three letters
of your last name (i.e. ?Swi?) and click Search.
6. Find an industry that interests you in the left column. For instance, "Swine feed supplements,
concentrates and premixes, manufacturer".
Record the following:
- a. Index entry - i.e. "Swine feed supplements, concentrates and premixes, manufacturer"
- b. NAICS Code - i.e. "311119"
- c. US NAICS Title - i.e. "Other Animal Food Manufacturer"
7. Click on NAICS->SIC at the top right in Yellow. This will let you know what the previous SIC
code was. First click on the 2 digit code, i.e. "31-33 Manufacturing"; then click on the 3 digit code, i.e. "Food
Manufacturing". Find the NAICS code you identified in 6b above, i.e. "311119".
Record the following:
- a. SIC Code - i.e. "2048";
- b. Description - i.e. "Prepared Feeds and Feed Ingredients for Animals and Fowls"
8. Now go back to the original home page: http://www.census.gov
9. Let's look up what the Value of Shipments for the Swine feed supplements, etc. Industry were. Click on Business - Economic Census
10. Find the first two digits of the NAICS code under "Industry Series" i.e. "31-33"
11. To obtain the latest figures, Click Latest results - 1997 in the left column.
12. Check to see if the 1997 figures are available yet. (If not, you will have to go to the Latest results - 1992, and in place of 1997 and 1992 below, record 1992 and 1987)
13. Click on the two digit NAICS industry, i.e. Manufacturing
14. Click on the three digit industry, i.e. Food Manufacturing
15. Check to see if a six digit industry is available, i.e. 311119 - Other
Animal Food. Click on this. It will take you to the Other Animal Food Manufacturing Industry Series Report. Read some of this information to find out more about the Census. There are a number of reports on this industry. You can page through them to see the detailed information collected by the government.
16. Page through the tables until you come to Table 6A. Look for the 6 digit number, i.e. "311119 - Other Animal Food Products". Record the following:
- a. Value of Product Shipments in thousands for 1997, i.e. "$17,776,726"
- b. Value of Product Shipments in thousands for 1992, i.e. "NA"
17. Page down through the table and find the original description you had recorded in 6A above. Record the following:
- a. NAICS Code, i.e. "311119D" for "Swine feed supplements, concentrates and premixes, manufacturer"
- b. Value of Product Shipments in thousands for 1997, i.e. "$981,825"
- c. Value of Product Shipments in thousands for 1992, i.e. "$1,181,000"
CONGRATULATIONS! You have managed to navigate some of the
detailed reports of the Census of Manufacturers.