These sequences of labs give students practical experience with common attacks and countermeasures. To make the issues concrete, students explore the attacks and countermeasures in the context of a customized ‘zoobar’ web application.
Type of Material:
These labs are highly practical and can work well as both individual or team work
PDF Reader, VMware, a computer that is capable of running virtual machines, as well as compiling a variety of programming languages such as Python and C.
Identify Major Learning Goals:
The student how to understand a variety of network attacks and defense in realistic situations. In addition, the student will also examine network infrastructure in depth, as well as a variety of programming languages.
Target Student Population:
University students, perhaps in the last two years of a bachelor's degree, or for seniors and masters students who want to learn about how to build secure computer systems in detail
Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
• Computer systems Engineering
• C and Python Programming
• Information Security concepts
• This is an excellent and well-documented learning material that gives students practical experience with common attacks and countermeasures
• Instructions are clear and concise
• Opportunity to develop skills in systems integration, virtualization, code debugging, vulnerability and exposure analysis
• The labs use VMware and Ubuntu as the infrastructure with C and Python-based scenarios only
Potential Effectiveness as a Teaching Tool
• The learning material has a great potential as a teaching tool. Buffer overflow and code injection are common attacks difficult to understand unless that they are explained and materialized in practical scenarios like these.
Ease of Use for Both Students and Faculty
While this material would not necessarily be "easy to use" in that it requires the student to install and configure a variety of technologies, it would be very engaging due to the hands-on nature of the lab.
Other Issues and Comments:
This lab assignment would be difficult for an entry level student and narrowly targets students who already have expertise in networking infrastructure concepts.
Search by ISBN?
It looks like you have entered an ISBN number. Would you like to search using what you have
entered as an ISBN number?
Searching for Members?
You entered an email address. Would you like to search for members? Click Yes to continue. If no, materials will be displayed first. You can refine your search with the options on the left of the results page.