“The Knowledge Loom”
The Knowledge Loom
Oct 3, 2002
- This developing site focuses on collecting materials that work for teaching and
learning and making them available as models for others to build upon.
- Type of Material:
- Reference material.<br />
- Recommended Uses:
- Pre-service teachers with guidance from the teacher educator.
- Technical Requirements:
- None noted by the reviewer.
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- This site is a place for educators worldwide to:
Review research on best practices.
View stories about the practices in real schools.
Learn to replicate the success of these practices in other organizations.
- Target Student Population:
- Pre-service and in-service teachers as well as teacher educators.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Appreciation and understanding of best practices in teaching and learning.
- The site offers a workspace in progress where threads of thought and experience
can be drawn from many sources to craft a cohesive and useful body of wisdom
about important topics in education. This education-focused Knowledge Loom is
designed for education-minded users accessing a workspace where they can weave
distributed threads of information together in such a way as to create a fabric
that wears well on their own conditions, needs, and visions for excellence in
teaching and learning.
- None noted by reviewers.
- This sit eoffers a rich and relevant environment for professional development in
an electronic workspace. The content at this site would enhance teacher
education coursework that focuses on best practices and the need for strong
collaboration across the profession. Undergraduate and graduate students could
benefit in participating in the electronic events and discussions offered.
- Learning outcomes must be deduced as the viewer interacts with the site. It
would be a good idea for a teacher educator to provide learning outcomes and
specific assignments for pre-service teachers as they enter this site. It can
be overwhelming without guidance.
- This site is very user-friendly and easy to navigate. The site is creative, and
one feels comfortable in an environment of connecting with like-minded
- None noted by the reviewers.
- Creative Commons: