“Using the Keirsey Temperament Sorter to Determine Communication Styles”
Using the Keirsey Temperament Sorter to Determine Communication Styles
Apr 20, 2001
- The Keirsey Temperament Sorter II is a well-known and popular self-assessment
tool. The site provides a wealth of data about different personality
temperaments, using examples of famous people. While the books written by Dr.
Keirsey provide more complete information, this site is certainly complete
enough for use in many course assignments.
- Type of Material:
- self-assessment tool
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- The assignment we reviewed makes
this tool useful in the context of a sales course.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- While some students may
not understand a few of the terms used in the survey and profile feedback,
overall it is very easy to use.
- The Keirsey Temperament Sorter II (survey) and the feedback pages that follow
have both visual appeal and high scores on usability.
- Some students may
not understand a few of the terms used in the survey and profile feedback.
- After taking a 70-question assessment, scores
and feedback are provided immediately with colorful charts and links to
interesting, interpretative information.
- The associated assignment is also very
straightforward?although for most, the actual skill of "temperament flexing"
may not be as easy in practice as it is in concept.
- Overall it is very easy to use. Overall, the Keirsey Temperament Sorter II has many potential applications as a
teaching tool, especially in marketing, human resource management, and other
courses emphasizing interpersonal relationships. It could also be helpful in
courses using student teams or in the myriad of other courses in which
interpersonal barriers to implementing change are pondered. While the
assignment has a specific context (sales/marketing), it can be easily adapted to
for use in many other courses.
- The assignment could also be enhanced through
discussion about the validity and ethical use of such models.
- Creative Commons: