“Neuroscience for Kids”
Neuroscience for Kids
Jul 30, 2001
- Neurscience for Kids is a collection of information, learning activities, and web links about the nervous system. Basic anatomical and physiological concepts are covered. While some of the information is instructional in nature and directed toward the learner, other areas within the site are targeted more to the teacher, providing examples of ?hands-on? learning activities that can be carried out in the classroom. The learning activities are clearly described and would be easy for the teacher to implement.
- Type of Material:
- Tutorial, interactive, and a collection of resources related to the subject
- Technical Requirements:
- Some portions of the site provide audio for pronunciation of nervous system anatomical structures so the technical capabilities include having access to an up-to-date browser. Brief technical instructions are provided for the user who has an older browser.
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- Specific goals or objectives are not identified by the author. However, it is clearly a collection of information, activities, web links and other resources designed to increase the learner?s knowledge of the nervous system.
- Target Student Population:
- The target population is variable and can range from elementary to college level depending upon the materials selected from the site.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Basic nervous system concepts are introduced, but reading level is high. Students would need to be literate and comfortable at navigating a web site. Younger students would need guidance from the teacher to most fully benefit from the site, while older students would find some of the information to be more tutorial or remedial in nature.
- Visual appeal; targets learners at different levels of understanding; includes materials targeting learner and instructor; experiential learning activities described.
- Additional graphics to illustrate some concepts would be helpful, especially in the area that discusses anatomical structures
- Offers the learner and instructor a great deal of flexibility. Would appeal to multiple learning styles.
- The addition of learning objectives may be helpful.
- Found the site easy to navigate.
- Creative Commons: