“Hindi Language Lessons”
Hindi Language Lessons
Nov 7, 2006
- This site is designed to guide an interested learner to learn Hindi language on his/her own. There are nine basic lessons in which alphabets, both the consonants, vowels and conjugations, are shown. There is a small segment on the historical background of Hindi language. The site is very personalized in approach and comprises of two links to other resources for further understanding of Hindi language.
- Type of Material:
- Recommended Uses:
- Course supplement
- Technical Requirements:
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- To be able to understand the history of Hindi language
To be able to recognize Hindi alphabets,
To be able to distinguish between the consonants and the vowels
To be able to conjugate the alphabets to the sounds
To be able to compare the sounds in Hindi language to those in English language.
- Target Student Population:
- People who are interested in learning Hindi language and possess basic language skills in English. Also, they should be reasonably skilled in browsing the web.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Basic language skills in English
- There is an adequate amount of material with appropriate vocabulary and grammar components is provided for a basic level course on Hindi language.
The lessons are divided on the basis of various key components which are required to learn a language. E.g. Pronouns, Some Basic Words & Phrases, Verbs etc.
The links made to English language are very clear and a person who is familiar with concepts of English language especially grammar can easily understand the content.
- There is enough material on the page but the way in which it is organized makes it very less user friendly. The content is presented in a fashion that does not grab the readers attention. The content, though divided in various lessons, does not follow a logical progression, both conceptually and chronologically.
There needs to be a way to locate specific topics covered in the tutorials.
- The materials can be quite useful as a resource for a teacher who is looking for appropriate content required for teaching the Hindi language.
The explanations are quite simple and easy to understand, with appropriate connections made to the English language.
- The resources are adequate but because of the lack of organization of content, it shall be quite difficult for a learner to grasp concepts and apply them, without any other resource, help or guide.
The resource lacks a basic framework essential for any teaching tool i.e. there are no clear objectives specified, no time limits specified and most importantly, the resource does not provide the learner with ways to test what he/she is learning in each lesson.
A language teaching tool should have enough opportunities for the learner to hear the sounds written in text, in order to grasp them better. It becomes very difficult to pronounce a sound right by just relating it to English counterpart. Hence, the idea of an only text tutorial for language learning is somewhat incomplete.
- Easy to understand material and simple narrative would be the key highlight of this resource.
The fact that this resource does not require any sophisticated plug-ins and programs is a good feature in the sense that, not everyone has access to a computer which is updated with the latest technology and the technical know-how to use it. A basic internet browsing capability is all that is required for this tutorial.
- There are very few links to the key parts of the material and no navigation tools (as stated earlier) are provided which could facilitate ease of use for this resource.
The material lacks clear and accurate instructions for easy usability.
- Other Issues and Comments:
- Creative Commons: