“Grain Dust Explosions - Deadly Dust series”
Grain Dust Explosions - Deadly Dust series
Nov 12, 2008
- These are videos developed by Kansas State University to address the problems with explosions in agricultural facilities and other grain/vegetable dust processing facilities.
- Type of Material:
- DVD also available in VHS
- Recommended Uses:
- Good for basic class in fire or safety on dust explosions.
- Technical Requirements:
- Player mechanism and or the ability to load on a streaming video server for a "closed" audience. Use for a larger audience may have copyright issues that will need to be worked out with KSU
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- The physics and chemistry of a grain dust explosion
Hazards of grain and other organic dusts
Control measures for prevention of catastrophic dust explosions
- Target Student Population:
- Various populations could be targeted.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Very professionally produced with good documented case studies and factual background.
- The overall DVD is very effective in showing potential problems, safety measures, and consequences of dust explosions. Narration is strong but stresses the learning objectives.
- May seem melodramatic
- Need equipment or own streaming server. limits the breadth of use based on the resources available. However the purchase price ($25) is nominal.
- Other Issues and Comments:
- K-State may want to consider a talking paper to go along with the DVD. This would give the instructor a chance to stop the DVD and discuss various portions rather than sitting and watching for 30 minutes then try to go back and review.
- Creative Commons: