Dec 3, 2009
Technical Allied Health
- A highly animated website addressing the causes of breast cancer,normal and abnormal breast anatomy, breast cancer diagnosis, staging, and treatment options.
- Type of Material:
- An interactive lecture on breast cancer.
- Recommended Uses:
- Use as a patient education tool or background tool for basic education on Breast Cancer.
- Technical Requirements:
- Requires Flash version 8 or above. able to review and access information in both DSL and dial-up service, however dial up internet service is extremely slow. The help guide for the website suggested muting the sound which would make the pages load faster--I found no discernible difference utilizing dial up- with or without sound.
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- To understand what breast cancer is, how it is diagnosed, staged and treated.
- Target Student Population:
- College General Ed, College Lower Division
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Simple to understand language, clear explanations, large font utilized throughout website. Diverse female population shown on title page.
- No discussion of the prevalence of breast cancer in males. Only on the title page is diversity among the patient population noted.
- Concise explanation of how breast cancer develops and current treatment modalities. Summary at end of presentation reiterates vital points concerning breast cancer.
- High potential of effectiveness for women, men researching breast cancer who are guided to this site will be disappointed.
- Extremely simple to use, under the Help tab there are suggestion on how to make the website load faster, and for the visually impaired how to have the presentation as a self running presentation with no special readers required. Additionally, there is the ability to down loan the PDF summary with a reader to avail oneself to a different tutorial format.
- Other Issues and Comments:
- A verbal queue during the introduction that assistance for the visually impaired is available may be helpful.
- Creative Commons: