“Elixr - Reimagining Learning Spaces - English”
Elixr - Reimagining Learning Spaces - English
Oct 14, 2011
- This is a video case story of an effort at the University of Missouri, St. Louis to re-imagine the learning space for English classes. It is part of a series entitled "Reimagining Learning Spaces." The teachers created a Learning Studio which integrated current technology with classroom design that facilitated the use of technology more efficiently than traditional classrooms could. Along with the classroom re-design, the courses were re-designed as well, to take advantage of the technology available to the teachers. In this way, the faculty provided a more "real-world" atmosphere in which the students could work. The facilitation of technology in these classrooms is similar to that which the students might find in the business world.
- Type of Material:
- Video and audio presentation
- Recommended Uses:
- Use to support anyone wishing to redesign the learning spaces or classrooms on their campus
- Technical Requirements:
- enough bandwidth to stream audio and video from a web browser
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- Provide information to faculty who are considering classroom redesign to facilitate the usage of current technology. Information includes tips on physical materials to use and adjustments to make to syllabi and pedagogical styles.
- Target Student Population:
- Secondary Ed and College faculty
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- The information provided was quite detailed and there are a lot of resources to download at the end. A concerted effort was made to cover all aspects of the project and to present many of the advantages of the project.
- Disadvantages were not presented in a detailed manner; more advice about overcoming objections might have been helpful. Also, during the discussion on classroom design, Dr. Klein talked about changes that were made, but it was hard to visualize. A voice over with video or still shots illustrating what was done would have been very helpful.
- The details provided to the faculty and the resources for download could make this case story presentation very effective.
- It was very easy to use in most respects.
- I wish that the video case studies would allow one to go from one section to another without having to click on the Home button.
- Other Issues and Comments:
- Creative Commons: