“WebQuest Tutorial Website”
WebQuest Tutorial Website
Dec 27, 2012
- Videos and tutorials on how to create, monitor and grade WebQuests in your classroom.
- Type of Material:
- Videos, text, tutorials, reference sites. Sample Web Quest links are included.
- Recommended Uses:
- Can be used for personal development by educators or utilized as training for K-12 students learning to create own WebQuest.
- Technical Requirements:
- The Web Quest template is a .docx file, and some teachers may still be using an earlier version of Word. There are videos, but there is also a file that can be downloaded and read. Most teachers will be able to access all the parts of this tutorial.
Any device with Internet access and ability to play Windows Media Video (wmv) files. Video files take a long time to load on screen but link is provided for user to download video file onto own device. This works well.
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- Teachers who view this site will be able to set up, monitor and grade a Web Quest.
- Target Student Population:
- All levels: K-12 as well as higher education and professional development.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Basic computer skills
- Well designed site, with much useful information. There are videos, text pages and tutorials for creating Web Quests. Rubrics for grading Web Quests are included. Users can view materials online or download to view offline. Easy to follow steps in videos and in documents. Material can be used with any content.
- After viewing the materials, either the videos or the texts, teachers should be able to create, monitor, and grade Web Quests in the traditional classroom. Allows for student interaction with instructional material. Material can be set up to allow for student/professional to work at own pace. Can use segments of handouts as tasks to be completed prior to class or professional development session. Can be used as student projects to either demonstrate grasp of content/concept or as presentation of research.
- The side bar menu allows teachers to go back and forth and find the information that they need to access. Items are available for free and offer students and educators access 24/7. Tasks can be set up for working at individual pace or as a group project. This learning object can be used for any content; steps are easy to follow.
- Links seem to take some time to open/download. User is required to have access to applications that open .wmv and .docx files.
- Other Issues and Comments:
- Overall this site serves as a good introduction to planning all segments of a WebQuest using a template organizer which can then be used as the actual WebQuest - either in hard copy or saved in web page format for upload.
Only concerns are minimal: download time for watching videos online;
sample materials and videos require ability to open .wmv and .docx files.
- Creative Commons: