Sep 19, 2013
- This module is a powerful Java download that allows for basic statistical computations and procedures to be done quickly and thoroughly. It allows for one to manually input data or upload a data file into the spreadsheet. It is very similar to other popular statistical analysis software such as Minitab, StatCrunch or Excel – MegaStat.
- Type of Material:
- Recommended Uses:
- I’d suggest using this in the classroom during lecture and demonstration. The student can use this at home since it is easily downloaded. This can even be used in a team setting.
- Technical Requirements:
- Statcato requires Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.6 or higher.
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- - The learner will be able to easily analyze a dataset both graphically and numerically.
- The student can use the ‘Help’ directory to learn the formulas and calculations behind the functions built into Statcato.
- The learner will gain a more complete understanding of how the different pieces of statistics all fit together into one cohesive picture.
- Target Student Population:
- Elementary statistics at the high school or college level.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- General understanding of spreadsheets would be helpful. Basic knowledge of Excel should suffice. Students should have a basic understanding of inferential statistics so they know which test to run based on their data.
- The tool serves its purpose well. It facilitates statistical practice and is free. It includes adequate resources, including tutorials and help files.
- Module encourages exploration. Ease at which statistical methods can be accomplished will allow for students to gain instant satisfaction. Includes a complete set of concepts covered in an introductory statistical course. Easy to write assignments on data analysis problems, which in turn will promote student discovery.
- Very easy to use! If student has even a basic understanding of Excel, they shouldn’t have any problem navigating this module.
- Other Issues and Comments:
- Incredible free tool! Replaces need for expensive calculators or software to do basic statistical analyses.
- Creative Commons: