“Visualizing the Synthesis of Thyroid Hormones”
Visualizing the Synthesis of Thyroid Hormones
Oct 26, 2013
- “Visualizing the Synthesis of Thyroid Hormones” is an animated video presentation designed to help students visualize the steps in thyroid hormone synthesis. The material describes the complex process of thyroid hormone synthesis from the step of iodide trapping to the attachment of hormone on the peripheral receptors. Topics covered include: 1) iodide trapping, 2) oxidation of iodide, 3) synthesis of thyroglobulin 4) iodination of tyrosine, 5) conjugation of T1 and T2, 6) endocytosis and digestion of colloid, 7) secretion of thyroid hormones, 8) conversion of T4 to T3 at target tissues, and 9) binding of T3 to nuclear receptors. The presentation is short, lasting 7 minutes and 43 seconds. The target audience is college or graduate students.
- Type of Material:
- This material is provided as an animated presentation.
- Recommended Uses:
- This presentation could be used in the “flipped classroom” method of teaching where students can preview this presentation prior to coming to class. This presentation could be used during a lecture or could be used as a supplemental resource for students.
- Technical Requirements:
- Technical requirements include Adobe Flash Player. At the time of this review, the material was best viewed in Mozilla Firefox 19.0+, Internet Explorer 9.0+, and Google Chrome.
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- Students will be able to describe the steps involved in the synthesis of thyroid hormones T3 and T4. Users will also be able to describe a thyroid follicle and explain the step by step process of thyroid hormone production.
- Target Student Population:
- This material can be used at all levels of undergraduate and graduate education.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Although no prerequisites are mentioned for this material, better understanding would be achieved with some college level understanding of human physiology.
- The content in the videos is accurate and up-to-date
- The animations are high quality and presentation is very clear
- The material efficiently demonstrates the concepts and includes an adequate amount of material
- The content is core material for a physiology class
- The presentation provides a complete and thorough demonstration of thyroid hormone synthesis
- The presentation is informed by scholarship and is self-contained
- At the time of this review there were no concerns about content quality
- The presentation appeals to multiple senses; there is text to read, audio, and visual animations
- Material builds upon prior concepts
- The presentation is clear and easy to follow
- Simple and clear animation allows easy understanding of the core concepts
- Very efficient and facilitates learning
- The students can go through the presentation at their own pace and re-listen to sections
- The presentation contains a “search” box where students can locate certain topics
- There are no objectives listed
- Quiz questions at the completion of the presentation would be useful for student self-assessment to determine if they understand the material
- Site does not provide additional resources
- The presentation is not interactive
- The presentation is visually appealing
- The site is easy to navigate and engaging
- The presentation is easy to use
- The site is of high quality design
- The stop/pause button doesn’t always work; sometimes the video continues to play
- Other Issues and Comments:
- Good work! The author of this site is encouraged to submit additional materials for the learning community.
- Creative Commons: