“NotateMe App for iOS”
NotateMe App for iOS
Mar 26, 2014
- Notate Me is a music notation app for iOS and Android. Hand written music notation is transcribed into printed (software) musical notation while you write. Scores can be played, exported to other notation software using MusicXML format and synced to a Dropbox folder on iOS or GoogleDrive on Android.
- Type of Material:
- A iOS or Android music notation app.
- Recommended Uses:
- This app can be used to write music anywhere using a tablet or smart phone. Scores can be emailed and shared with others. Students and teachers can easily share files. This app could be used in a classroom or a music ensemble to quickly disseminate a musical idea to the participants.
- Technical Requirements:
- iOS 6.0 or later. iPad or iPhone. Optimized for iPhone 5. Android - v4.0.3 and up. Compatible devices include Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, Google Nexus 7, HTC One. Processor - 1GHz Single Core Memory - 1GB RAM Screen size - 4 inches diagonal Resolution - 960 x 640
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- This app is a notation tool. It does not have any specific learning goals.
- Target Student Population:
- High school, college, graduate students or music professionals could use this tool.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Users must know how to write music.
- This app has no educational content but will accurately transfer hand written music notation into standard software music notation.
- This music notation software might not be intuitive for a musicians used to writing music by hand. An app like this one may help these musicians that still use pencil and paper since writing is almost like writing music with a pencil. Notes are played as they are recognized by the app. Hand writing is not perfect, although I would say fairly good. So it may take longer than using standard music notation software. It also depends on the complexity. Simple music works rather well.
- The potential effectiveness of this app would be in allowing a teacher to notate a musical idea in class or rehearsal and then send it to their students or for students to write out their musical ideas and send them to their teacher. Writing music anywhere using your phone or tablet is a great strength! The fact that it is almost like writing with pencil and paper makes it relatively easy for musicians that do not like to use traditional music notation software. The ability to sync files with Dropbox and Google drive as well as to send the files by email in MusicXML format is very useful to share and send files to b edited using other software like Sibelius, Finale or MuseScore.
- May be not be appropriate for complex music notation, long works and orchestral scores using many instruments. Current version is not able to write pickup measures. They are working on chord symbols and lyrics for a future version.
- There is a learning period both for the app and the user. The app learns to recognize the user handwriting while the user learns to write for the app. Very intuitive.
- This app requires practice for the user to learn how to hand write their music on their smart phone or tablet in a way that is accurately transcribed to the software music notation. With complex notation it may be a very tedious work.
- Creative Commons: