Mar 27, 2014
- App inventor is a tutorial on learning to build apps for Android devices. It is aimed at beginners. The instructor uses step by step videos to start with a basic app and to build up to a more complex one. The site itself is very comprehensive, clear, organized, and easy to use.
- Type of Material:
- Online tutorial
- Recommended Uses:
- This site can be used in self-paced learning to create, build, and execute Android applications. Alternatively, this tutorial can be used in a beginning to intermediate Android programming classes.
- Technical Requirements:
- Chrome, Firefox, Java, Safari, Internet Explorer
Mac or PC
Solid internet access
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- Learn to create apps for Android devices
Use the site as a tool to teach how to create apps for Android devices
- Target Student Population:
- High school, college, Professional
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- The tutorial site is very well done. The instructional videos and the step by step format are easy to follow. Everything is done professionally and is easily accessible.
- The website is well organized and there are plenty of tips along the way (blog). There are examples of real life fun projects (http://www.appinventor.org/projects). There is help every step of the way. The site is potentially very effective as a teaching and learning tool.
- Any user will benefit from easy to use guides, step by step instructions, and video tutorials.
This tutorial is a good example of teaching a fairly complex topic without "scaring" the learners away.
- Other Issues and Comments:
- There is wealth of resources for beginning, intermediate, and advanced app programmers. There are news and blog sessions for all audiences. Anyone who would like to teach, build, or learn about programming Android apps should start with this site!
- Creative Commons: