This resource provides links to websites, libraries, and resources about Chinese history & culture. Each section contains annotated lists of internet resources and print items re: China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Chinese in the Diaspora; Chinese related materials at Boston college and Chinese in Boston. The resources are in both English and Chinese. The content focuses on 19th and 20th century Chinese society & history as portrayed through web resources, stand alone tools, study units, and a very few documents. There are links to websites for those students who want to study Chinese or take as study abroad program. The copyright on the website is 2004; last updated 2009.
Type of Material:
• Reference resource
Browser; quicktime is needed for the Historian’s toolkit.
Identify Major Learning Goals:
• Provide links to materials about China and Chinese culture.
• To provide links to cultural repositories that hold Chinese arts and resources
Target Student Population:
• College students and scholars researching Chinese culture.
• Librarians and archivists putting together resources pages for their institutions
Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
This source provides a wealth of useful material. The content is of high quality.
• Users must determine for themselves the value of the materials. About 1/3 of the links are no longer viable
Potential Effectiveness as a Teaching Tool
If the student or researcher is self-directed and persistent, the user could locate materials about China and Chinese culture. Other than the scanty resources on the Historian’s Toolkit, there is nothing substantive in this resource.
The spacing of the material on the web-page is too dense in some areas. Greater spacing is required.
Ease of Use for Both Students and Faculty
China Gateway may be easy to use for high school and college students.
Many of the links no longer function.
Other Issues and Comments:
• This site does aggregate resources about China and Chinese culture. This resource should be replaced with a LibGuide with current information and links to serve today’s more sophisticated library / archives user.
Search by ISBN?
It looks like you have entered an ISBN number. Would you like to search using what you have
entered as an ISBN number?
Searching for Members?
You entered an email address. Would you like to search for members? Click Yes to continue. If no, materials will be displayed first. You can refine your search with the options on the left of the results page.