“Chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission: William Donaldson”
Chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission: William Donaldson
Jul 1, 2014
- The material/subject matter presented discusses the settlement with ten of the nation’s largest securities firms and how this settlement was designed to change the way those firms conduct business in the future. However, the discussion occurred in 2003 with the Chairman of the SEC at that time, so the information, while informative, is dated.
- Type of Material:
- This is a presentation, best described as a written transcript of an interview with audio narrative available.
- Recommended Uses:
- • Recommended for in class use/lecture, individual research,
investigation, homework, and classroom discussion.
- Technical Requirements:
- Google Chrome, IE10, Firefox, Windows Media Player (or other media player).
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- Although none are specifically provided, the following activities are suggested uses of the information:
• Discuss the scandals and ethical issues in Wall Street history.
• Discuss the reforms that were designed to change the way firms
conduct business in the future.
• Research and discuss current and future expectations regarding
- Target Student Population:
- This is recommended for first year/second Year college level students for Business, Leadership, Management, and Economics. It can also be used at the graduate level with a specific focus on ethics, management, investments, securities, and related economic issues.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Knowledge of basic web browsing in required. Those wishing to view the information should also be knowledgeable in web browsing and possess basic, foundational knowledge of investments, securities, and economics.
- The transcript provides the questions and answers discussed regarding the specifics related to the scandals on Wall Street with the SEC Chairman at that time. The learning objectives are not specifically outlined but are clearly inferred. Additional links to related type articles are also provided.
- The video associated with this transcript is no longer available; however, the ethical concerns are applicable. It would be beneficial to see the video.
- The site doesn’t come right out and identify the learning objectives but these are inferred. The transcript is very clear and concise and is easy to follow. The material/transcript proves to be an effective teaching tool to provide support and examples from the real world.
- The information is somewhat outdated but the principles are still valid. The video is no longer available and the audio link on the site page does not work.
- • The overall look and feel of the site was easy to use and
navigate. The simple design makes it easy to locate the
• There are other similar and related links available to encourage
students to investigate further into the topic and/or related
- The video would be very helpful.
- Other Issues and Comments:
- There are no other issues, except to note again the need for the video link.
- Creative Commons: