Survey of Western Art from Renaissance to Contemporary
This collection contains the California Open Educational Resources Council (CA OER) list of peer-reviewed textbooks for Survey of Western Art from Renaissance to Contemporary (common course-id ARTH 120), one of the top 50 college courses identified for inclusion in the California Open Online Library for Education (COOLforEd).
General Course Description: ARTH 120
This course provides an overview of art and architecture from the Renaissance to the Contemporary period.
Minimum Units: 3.0
Advisories/Recommenations: Completion of or concurrent enrollment in English Composition (C-ID ENGL 100)
At the conclusion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Identify, examine, and assess representative works of art and
architecture from the Renaissance to the contemporary period employing appropriate art historical terminology
- Analyze, discuss, and differentiate works of art and architecture in terms of historical context and cultural values
- Analyze, discuss, and distinguish the roles of art, architecture, and the artist from the Renaissance to the contemporary period.
- Written essays and/or research projects
- Essay exams
Methods of evaluation may also include:
- Classroom discussions
- Objective exams
- Projects and presentations
- Classroom writing Assignments
- Group Assignments
Art and Contemporary Critical Practice: Reinventing Institutional Critique (Open (Access) Textbook)Institutional critique is best known through the critical practice that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s by... More