This collection contains the California Open Educational Resources Council (CA OER) list of peer-reviewed textbooks for Precalculus (common course-id MATH 155), one of the top 50 college courses identified for inclusion in the California Open Online Library for Education (COOLforEd).
General Course Description: MATH 155
Preparation for calculus: polynomial, absolute value, radical, rational, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions and their graphs; analytic geometry, polar coordinates.
Minimum Units: 4.0
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Graph functions and relations in rectangular coordinates and polar coordinates;
- Synthesize results from the graphs and/or equations of functions and relations;
- Apply transformations to the graphs of functions and relations;
- Recognize the relationship between functions and their inverses graphically and algebraically;
- Solve and apply equations including rational, linear, polynomial, exponential, absolute value, radical, and logarithmic, and solve linear, nonlinear, and absolute value inequalities;
- Solve systems of equations and inequalities;
- Apply functions to model real world applications;
- Identify special triangles and their related angle and side measures;
- Evaluate the trigonometric function of an angle given in degree and radian measure;
- Manipulate and simplify a trigonometric expression;
- Solve trigonometric equations, triangles, and applications;
- Graph the basic trigonometric functions and apply changes in period, phase and amplitude to generate new graphs; and
- Prove trigonometric identities
Tests, examinations, homework or projects where students demonstrate their mastery of the learning objectives and their ability to devise, organize and present complete solutions to problems.