This collection contains the California Open Educational Resources Council (CA OER) list of peer-reviewed textbooks for College Algebra for STEM (common course-id MATH 151), one of the top 50 college courses identified for inclusion in the California Open Online Library for Education (COOLforEd).
General Course Description: MATH 151
College level course in algebra for majors in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics: polynomial, rational, radical, exponential, absolute value, and logarithmic functions; systems of equations; theory of polynomial equations; analytic geometry
Minimum units: 4.0
Prerequisites: Intermediate Algebra
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Analyze and investigate properties of functions;
- Synthesize results from the graphs and/or equations of functions;
- Apply transformations to the graphs of functions;
- Recognize the relationship between functions and their inverses graphically and algebraically;
- Solve and apply rational, linear, polynomial, radical, absolute value, exponential, and logarithmic equations and solve linear, nonlinear, and absolute value inequalities;
- Solve systems of equations and inequalities;
- Apply techniques for finding zeros of polynomials and roots of equations;
- Apply functions and other algebraic techniques to model real world STEM applications;
- Analyze conics algebraically and graphically; and
- Use formulas to find sums of finite and infinite series.
- homework or projects where students demonstrate their mastery of the learning objectives and their ability to devise, organize and present complete solutions to problems.