This collection contains the California Open Educational Resources Council (CA OER) list of peer-reviewed textbooks for Business Communication (common course-id BUS 114), one of the top 50 college courses identified for inclusion in the California Open Online Library for Education (COOLforEd).
General Course Description - BUS 115:
This course applies the principles of ethical and effective communication to the creation of letters, memos, emails, and written and oral reports for a variety of business situations. The course emphasizes planning, organizing, composing, and revising business documents using word processing software for written documents and presentation-graphics software to create and deliver professional-level oral reports. This course is designed for students who already have college-level writing skills.
Minimum units: 3.0
Any rationale or comment: Essential preparation. Required major prep for five CSUs
Prerequisites: ENG 100 (First-Year Composition)
At the conclusion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the elements of the communication process.
- Analyze how word selection and usage affects communication.
- Solve business communication problems through planning, problem solving, organizing, writing, listening and presenting techniques.
- Illustrate sensitivity to audience needs and desire, including cross-cultural situations.
- Plan, organize, write and revise letters, memos, emails, and reports suitable for a variety of business situations, including quantitative (e.g., accounting and finance) and business legal contexts.
- Plan and deliver individual or team oral-presentations for business meetings.
- Understand communication in an internationalization and globalization context.
- Identify a basic logical fallacy in an oral or written context.
- Select a proper delivery format—face-to-face v. electronic—and identify the strengths of each modality.
- Understand uses of social media and related Internet writing contexts.
- Adjust composition, prose, and rhetorical language use for optimal conciseness and clarity.
- Demonstrate an understanding of social etiquette applicable in a business environment.
- Be able to discern and appreciate the differences between primary sources and secondary sources.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of original work, the role of proper citations and references, and the ability to avoid plagiarism of either a deliberate or inadvertent nature.
- Exams are given periodically to monitor students' communication knowledge, understanding and skills.
- Instructor will provide detailed written feedback on all business letters, memos, emails, and reports, and on oral presentations.
- Final exam will be comprehensive and written.
Prerequisite Course Number revised 10/8/2013 to reflect new numbering for English
Business: Golden Nugget Methods for High Effectiveness - Leadership, Management & Communication (Effective Teams, Teamwork, Public Speaking, Team Management, Leadership Skills, Listening Skills) (Open (Access) Textbook)NOTE: Available for free for Kindle Unlimited. Otherwise, $2.99 to buy on Kindle and $12.23 for paperback book. By... More