Managing Teaching Environments
This course is one of the professional core courses in the School of Education and it may be used to partially satisfy the State Teacher Certification requirements in General Methods. The course will include the presentation of generic teaching competencies to students via classroom interactions, assigned readings, contributions and to a web-based discussion board.
This course is designed to be facilitated either fully online or through a blended modality. It can be easily converted to a face to face course by making resources available to students during class time.
Upon the successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Identify assessment requirements for teacher licensure/certification
- Develop appropriate objectives for a lesson including appropriate coding to the Common Core Standards
- Create informational objectives representing cognitive, affective and psychomotor domains
- Describe diverse learning styles and individual intelligences and use such knowledge to create a lesson plan that differentiates instruction
- Design instructional objectives using Bloom’s taxonomy.
- Recognize theories of learning and learning styles as applied to instructional planning and appropriate teacher behaviors.
- Examine verbal and nonverbal communication samples and evaluate the implications of each
- Discuss the importance of modifying and adapting instruction, materials, content, student projects and products and assessment to meet individual learning needs
- Research current events in education to increase understanding and knowledge of educational trends and the ability to think critically
- Demonstrate the ability to implement the use of graphic organizers within a lesson of choice and explain the importance of visual learning components
This course is designed to encourage active learner engagemnet and participation. Therefore, each module will conclude with at least one assignment asking to students to reflect and apply acquired knowlege. For a list of assignments per module, access this google link.
First Day of Class (External link)Module 1: First Day of Class
Your First Days of School (External link)Module 1: First Day of Class
Increasing Incusivity (External link)Module: Diverse Classrooms
Promoting Equity (External link)Module 2: Diverse Classrooms
Becoming a Culturally Responsive Teacher (External link)Module 3: Culturally Responsive Teaching
Student Engagement (External link)Module 3: Culturally Responsive Teaching
Why it is important to be culturally responsive? (External link)Module 3: Culturally Responsive Teaching
Podcasts in the Classroom (External link)Module 4: Teaching with Technology
How to use graphic organizers in the classrooms (External link)Module 4: Teaching with Technology
Measuring Learning (External link)Module 5: Assessment and Grading
Lesson Plans and Unit Plans (External link)Module 5: Assessment and Grading
Grading Student Work (External link)Module 6: Grading Student Work
Learning Styles (External link)Module 7: Learning Styles
The Boss of My Brain (External link)Module 7: Learning Styles
Understanding by Design (External link)Module 8: Integrative Curriculum